“Affordable and Unique Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Sunday Day Spa Special
Ranked #1 of 64 hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Affordable and Unique Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

For a maximum bang for the buck weekend getaway from Singapore I’d recommend Tempat Senang. We visited in June on the 3 day/2 night spa package, staying in the Indonesian Room. As the owner – Jasmine – freely admits, there’s not much to do other than chill out by the pool, have spa treatments or maybe a round of golf at the golf course next door. Batam, on first impressions, is a fairly charmless place. However Tempat Senang is a unique property in a lovely setting landscaped with fishponds on all sides and complete with its own resident parrot.

I couldn’t disagree more with the previous reviewer about the cost. We didn’t hold back on food or drink and our bill came to $1000. See how far this gets you elsewhere - you will spend twice as much in a Bintan resort in the blink of an eyelid! True - in Bintan you are getting the beach, the big resort and all of that, so it’s your choice. The beer butt chicken was a bit of a novelty – tasty and at $40, a bargain and more than enough for two people. Service on the terrace can be a bit slow but it’s more unobtrusive than anything intentional. We found this was easily fixed by knocking on the kitchen door to ask for our gin and tonic!

I will admit that I’m not a big fan of ordering my breakfast a day ahead but the food at Tempat Senang is freshly prepared, hence why you need to pre-order. It’s not the sort of place where they have a breakfast buffet withering away on the side. I think this is actually an advantage as your food is fresh, but as always in this region, the Asian dishes are the pick of the bunch. Highly recommend the satay and the gado gado. American breakfast was a let-down – go for the nasi goring or mee goring instead.

The spa was great – superb value and very relaxing. As someone who normally emerges from a facial with a face like a well-used dartboard I can highly recommend the gentle facials here. I was a bit skeptical about the laser and vacuum parts of the treatment but believe me, your skin will look amazing afterwards! However for my pedicure, the selection of nail polish colours was very limited and it looked like the one I chose was past its best as the therapist had all sorts of trouble taming the gloopy stuff.

Our room was small but fine, with a nice outdoor shower. Some small points for improvement - I couldn’t find a hairdryer and there’s no mirror above the table – essential for doing hair and make-up! The coat hangers in the wardrobe were mostly gnarled up wiry things and the bath towels were a bit small and thin, not quite creating the overall luxury boutique feel. Just before we left we did get to have a sneaky peak in two other rooms which had more ‘wow factor’. I loved the Thai room, which is surrounded by fish ponds outside and has a huge marble bath and its own fish spa on the terrace. The Bali room also looked amazing. It also has a private outdoor terrace and a huge bathroom with a Jacuzzi.

The staff were very helpful throughout and will book the golf and organize a taxi if you want to go out to a local restaurant. Generally we felt we got quite a personalized service from the staff. Bottom line: Batam does not have the overall charm and visual appeal of Bintan, but Tempat Senang is excellent value and we’re already planning a return trip for golf and spa with our friends.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

426 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

After reading all the positive reviews of Tempat Senang, I booked a last minute 4 day 'resort experience' at Tempat Senang.
Positives: The locals were very willing to please. The driver was wonderful, the spa girls were pleasant although it was difficult to communicate with them.
The place felt like a boutique resort (if you don't mind dismissing the lack of attention to detail).
Negatives:
On arrival, we had a 5 second welcome before being pushed into choosing our spa routine and food choices for the NEXT 4 DAYS.
I did not appreciate paying Australian/European prices for food that was clearly made by locals in training. They have no competition at TS - the nearest place is the golf course for meals and they know it. We were pressured into ordering food within 5 minutes of arriving (for lunch and dinner) - and fell into the trap (as did every other group we saw) of buying this 'beer can chicken' which was dry and un-appetizing, and cost $40SGD.
My sister also had a horrible reaction - we suspect to the cinnamon scrub alluded by the other reviewer. Not only did the owner not apologise at any stage of our 4 day stay (it happened on day 1), she kept stating it was only the 2nd time ever, and then tried to pressure us into more spa treatments! She did offer to take us to the clinic - which was an improvement on the previous reviewer's experience.
I felt it was resort prices but with poor attention to detail. If you wanted to order food or inform them of your breakfast choices for the next day, you could either stand at the kitchen, and wait for them to find someone who speaks English, or you could knock on the owner's door, where you'll have a bizarre conversation with her staring into her computer and you not invited into the office.
I also had the onerous task of repeatedly telling her 'no, we are leaving on thurs, please write it down', 'no, we are not having spa on thurs, because we are leaving on thurs am', 'no, my sister won't be appropriate to have spa since she has hives', 'no, we are not extending our stay, we never were'....so on and so forth.
4 days turned into $1200+ SGD (and that was watching what we ate )
Now in retrospect, I'd rather have forked out the extra money to have a true resort experience. At a place that CARES.

• Stayed June 2009
jborschberg, Owner at Tempat Senang Resort Spa & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 17, 2010
$1200 for 4 nights and 21 hours of spa treatment. hummm...
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

While on holiday in Singapore my mother and I decided to traval to Batam to enjoy a half-day spa package at Tempat Senang and it was definitely a highlight of our holiday. The ferry ride is just 45min and with the transfers to and from the spa being taken care of by one of their staff members the whole process was very easy and stress-free - we just had to remember to buy an Indonesian visa when you get to the ferry terminal (US$10)!

I had the famous cinnamon scrub, traditional massage and papaya facial - each of which lived up to its delicious description, while my mother had the coffee scrub, hot stone massage and clay facial - and fell asleep in the process because she was so relaxed! The quality of the treatments and the service generally makes the price a real bargain.

The grounds that the spa are situated in are beautiful and the differently themed rooms are tastefully decorated - i'd certainly like to go back for a longer stay to have more treatments and more of the tasty restaurant food!

Congratulations to Jasmine and her staff for creating a truly relaxing spa getaway, I wish them every success for the future!

• Stayed June 2009
Petaluma, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

On a recent trip to Singapore ,a business friend recommended me to visit, what he called his affordable "Wellness Spa" in Batam, for a couple of days of relaxation and golf. He had recently discovered the Tempat Senang Spa Resort, in his words a Charming Boutique Spa of "Bintan Class" but at a "Batam Price"! That sounded like what I just needed before returning to the States. A phone call to make a reservation, and the following morning I was on my way on a ferry boat to the Sekupang Ferry Terminal in Batam.There I was picked up by a very friendly and talkative driver from Tempat Senang. After having checked in at the Spa, I walked over to the neighbouring Golf Club. The course looked beautiful, but the day was hot and humid so I only spent time on the driving range and was looking forward to some hours of great massage at the Spa instead. A few hours later I had the best massage session of my life. First a Cinnamon Body Scrub. This one was new for me, but it was so great so I had another one the following morning. After the Scrub I had a Hot Stone Massage, also great, and a Traditional massage. My masseuse was from Bali, great smile, pretty, petite but with arms and hands of steel ...Wow! I must admit, it did hurt, but in a good way! Not only was my masseuse from Bali, but I was also staying in the new Bali room. Beautiful room, very comfortable and wiht a real touch of Bali. Bali is one of my favorite places in the world so I could easily appreciate the Bali feeling! There was also a jacuzzi attached to the room! One more plus! I loved everything about the spa, including a great spacious veranda overlooking the golf course, a beautiful pool and lush gardens. The new restaurant was very good, with an international/Asian menu, including my favorite Indonesian dish, the Beef Rendang, absolutely excellent. The homemade Mango Ice Cream was another winner! The staff as wellas the management was very friendly, pleasant and attentive and really eager to be of service and make your stay a great one. I felt like part of a family, and so did the other guests I talked to. I will definetely be back in the future!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

I and my sister had a day trip to Batam. While we were still struggle we took Batam Beach View or Tempant Senang, we found this website with so many positive comments about Tempant Senang and finally, we got there!

This was my first time to have spa. I felt so excited and a bit nervous about it. Tempant offered me a very great and valuable spa experience. The spa room is clean and tidy. The toilet is quite old-fashioned though, but I like the shower room which makes me feel going back to nature!

I had a 3-hr spa, including 30-minute body scrub (cinnamon), 1.5-hr body massage (traditional Indonesian style) and 1-hr facial treatment (clay). The clay facial treatment was very detailed. The techinque of my massager is good but she doesn't know much English. My sister took a aroma massage but it didn't really smell fragarant. She enjoyed it, though!

The staff picked us at the pier is very nice and helpful. He showed us different room types and introduced me the fish massage. He even let me try on it! Frankly, the rooms are not as big as I expected but are decored well with different themes.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
happietrooper
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

Spa? Check. Beautiful surroundings? Check. Gorgeous suite? Check. Great holiday? Check.

Tempat Senang is a fab find for a less-than-idyllic location like Batam. I found Tempat Senang after a lot of research online. Banyan Tree and Angsana in Bintan were way too expensive and Tempat Senang looked like a steal in comparison. I took my boyfriend there for a birthday getaway and he loved it!

The 3-hour massage was a wonderfully rejuvenating experience. We looked out at the golf course adjoining the resort while our city-sore muscles were worked on by masseuses, whose fingers are very adroit at hitting those pressure points!

We stayed in the Thai room. It cost $40 more but it was worth it for the private fish spa (where fish nibble away the dead skin on your feet, leaving your feet smooth and soft like a baby's) and spacious bathroom.

The hotel owner Jasmine was efficient and accomodating. When we asked to have lunch on a verandah overlooking a fish pond, she got her staff to set up the verandah immediately. Her recommendations for a cheap and good seafood dinner in Batam town were spot-on too.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

After reading the bad experiences from the fellow Singaporean on this resort, i feel i have to say something as my wife and I had stayed in this resort that very same day. We owe the owner Jasmine that much for our having a good weekend getaway.

First off, wanting to experience closeness to nature without being near to the accompanying reptiles and insects is just not being realistic. They are part and parcel of going "back to nature". If you have a phobia of them, then don't go to such resorts. If i might say so, Tempat Senang is comparable to Banyan Tree in many aspects. If you think the insects and frogs were bad, then there are really a lot of wonderful resorts out there you should stay away from as things are far worse there. By the way my wife have a bad phobia of insects. If she can survive and still get to love Tempat Senang, most people should also.

On the part about the spa, i can only say it was fantastic! Where in the world would you be able to get such good spa treatments for 3 whole hours at the kind of price we paid?! Unbelievable! My wife and I loved the spa so much that we are thinking of doing another trip soon!

Nonetheless, it should be noted that for people who had not gone to a spa before, there is always a risk your skin will be sensitive to certain types of treatments. Its the same for allergy to certain medicine. I just got to know about a year back i was allergic to a type of medicine called "Zannat". I did not know i was allergic to any till that fateful day my whole body was covered with rash after taking it. Did i went back to my doctor asking for compensation and apology? No. I guess it would not be wise to do so as it was my own responsibility to know in the first place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Tempat Senang Resort Spa & Restaurant? Share your experiences!