“Pricey for a small and rather inadequate resort” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“Pricey for a small and rather inadequate resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

For more reviews, visit my website at ms-skinnyfat

Had a quick escapade to Batam, where we checked out the No. 1 resort, Tempat Senang Boutique Spa and Resort.

We were promptly picked up and ushered onto our private transfer and within minutes, we stepped into the lush gardens of Tempat Senang. Love the tranquility and peace of the surroundings. TS doesn't allow guests below 15 so it's rather perfect for an adult getaway.

Even though I knew there were only 13 themed room and suites, I was kinda expecting a larger set up with bigger communal spaces. There were 3 mini pools around the resort, and by mini, i mean that 5 (maybe 6) would be a crowd in the pool. The above picture shows the largest pool of the lot, which is located next to the restaurant.

We settled for the Javanese Joglo Suite which came with 2 King Sized beds, one of which is in a little room of its own. Book your themed rooms early as there is only one of each.

The room is rather large, with a 2 sitting area inside the room. There is also a front porch with table and chairs. The room is on the dim side though the toilet is very well lit. Be prepared for some visitors e.g. lizards, bugs and the likes as we've been told they are rather eco-friendly. We were visited by a little mouse who came in through the roof and played hide and seek with us on the beams. We just let it be and it left shortly (we hoped).

Included in the price for the overnight stay is a 3 hour spa session for each guest. You can customize your own spa session from the variety of treatments available. We did a variety of facial, hair spa, massage, scrubs and wraps. The massage was truly relaxing and before we knew it, it was time for dinner.

Dinner was served on the open-air terrace restaurant which offers a range of traditional Indonesian, Western, and Thai dishes. We had the Beer Can Chicken for 2 (S$49), a 1.6kg chicken placed over a can and baked on the BBQ. Sadly it was bland and a little on the dry side. This was served with a huge side of mash potatoes.

The Nasi Campur for 2 ($49) was delicious and more traditionally Indonesian. Well marinated and tender Beef rendang, Gado gado, Lumpia, Satay, kaffir lime chicken, fish fillet, acar, emping crackers and rice. This more than enough made up for the tasteless chicken.

Make sure you bring your own entertainment and snacks. While there is a collection of pirated DVDs available, it can get quite boring. Remember that you're kinda in the outback and there aren't shopping centers or restaurants around. The snacks selection from the 'convenience' store is also miserable and the kitchen closes at 7.30pm.

Breakfast is provided and a small spread of local food is available. The nasi lemak had us going for seconds. An egg station provides guests with freshly cooked eggs. The raisin brioche was superb with the honey and marmalade too!

If you wish to get some shopping done before heading home, get the open ferry ticket which allows you to arrive at Sekupang and depart from Batam Center. The transfer from the Resort to Batam Center will cost you S$10. Make sure you arrange for the return tickets with the Resort upon arrival.

I wouldn't say that Tempat Senang Batam Resort is the most fantastic weekend getaway, i think i would have enjoyed Montigo Resorts much more (i prefer modern touches). But if you want to be closer to nature and just getting away from the crowd, Tempat Senang isn't a bad choice, just that it's a little pricey (but hey, spa is included). I wouldn't recommend a stay longer than 2D1N unless you are the bummer sort since there isn't a beach here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My 4th time in Tempat Senang and as usual the resort never fail me. Its cleanliness, location, the people, their spa, environment, every thing about this resort is simply flawless. I never had imagined how an hour ferry ride could actually bring me to another paradise on this quiet simple island.

Once again, we opt for the 6 hours full day spa, and since its the mid week, promotion price for the spa is 189 SGD nett and we find it extremely valuable! Owing to mid week, I have to emphasized the breeze from boarding ferry to clearing immigration / customs. We arrived / departed ahead of time for the ferry, and cleared the immigration in 5 mins, away from the weekend rush is definitely a plus point.

I'm not sure what other large corporate hotels can give, but I can assure you its the warmth which I receive from the Tempat Senang team, each and everyone of them, genuine and true, from the moment you step in till they bid you farewell. I have been patronizing Tempat Senang since year 2011 and saw how they expanded and improved over the years. If you are looking for a short getaway with your bestie / significant other half / solo, Tempat Senang is the place. I did not stay over this time, but upon seeing the new suites, my heart begin to flutter in gathering all my besties and enjoy the tranquility.

P.S. As much as I wish Tempat Senang can remain my little precious secret, I cannot suppress from sharing this little gem in Batam.

Room Tip: The new suite Abu Dhabi Harem Suit caught my eye, awesome for 4, be it girl's night out or famil...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This place is turly beautiful, exclusive, private and peaceful.

Service is greate, staff well trained and able to speak good engligh.

Food is nice just the government tax and service charge is high so end up may be bit expensive.

From their spa menu I can choose 3 out of 9

1. Office message, it's relaxing and alright, just felt that the spa bed is bit small

2. Body Scrubs - Yellow Lulur Body Scrub brightening

Their body scrub product is seriously good, you will amaze by the results and the skin is so fair like paper and smooth like silk.

3. Hot Herbal Compresses Treatments form of heat massage(pic) - Shiok!!!!! similar like hot stone but this is more action,wish the person don't stop.

I bought coconut & coffee body scrubs, it's really worth it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My girlfriend and I had a weekend getaway here, 3 nights, and it was amazing. Got the fast ferry from Singapore and were collected at the terminal, its a 10 minute drive to the resort.

We booked in for 3 hour treatments each day so a total of 9 hours each !! It might sound like a lot but it was not enough, everything was amazing. I think we covered most treatments on offer and one was as good as the next. The staff were very friendly and professional. We will defiantly go back at some point. Next time I would bring some alcohol with us, you can get beer and wine but not much of a selection, we could have gone shopping but really didn't want to leave this place.

We stayed in the Borneo room and it was amazing. We got to check out some of the other rooms too, if they are empty you can go and take a peek. To be honest they were all of a very high standard.

Lastly I would recommend trying the beer can chicken one evening for dinner, it was so tasty and quite amusing looking. I have since cooked it myself with some good results.

Overall an amazing place to get away and just pamper yourself for a few days, battery's were fully recharged on the ferry back to Singapore.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed for a night at Timor suite. The room is awesome with nice fragrance. However the pillow was too soft for our liking. The toiletries can be improve as I understand they also carry their housebrand of soap, scrub, lotion. They should provide or promote it for their guest for sampling i should say. I bought some and I love it! the toiletries is way from basic.
The spa was good. I did balinese message, facial and hair spa.The hair spa was awesome. The food was ok but the desert need to be improve. Service is awesome.
For spending a night pampering ourselves i should say its good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Just 50minutes ride via Batam Fast from Singapore Harbourfront and complimentary private shuttle 10minutes to the resort.

Love the Haiwaiian Lomi Lomi, Balinese Massage and Reflexology. Skip the body scrubs.
Affordable at approximately S$150 per person for 3 hour session where you have to spend the same amount at St Gregory.

Indulged in Indonesian Skewers and Sticky Caramel Date Pudding with Ice-cream, had 2 servings of the cake and it was so delicious that my mom (who does not have a sweet tooth) joined in the fun.

Planning to visit there again in near future with friends and buy Chempaka oils in bulk.

Must buys at Tempat Senang: Chempaka oil fragrance (approximately S$12 per bottle)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Went for a 2D1N stay on 11th January 2014. Me and my friends were late for the land transfer by more than 1 hour and in the end took a cab to the resort from Sekupang Ferry Terminal. Eventually i've found out Martha actually called and voicemail me about our whereabouts when we were late and to contact them back (this made me happy, nice gesture)

Upon arriving at the resort, we were welcomed by smiles from the staff and also Jax. She was really friendly and helpful. Explained to us in detail about the how things work in the resort, our room, enquiries and the spa.

Another staff Yuna/Yuni (i cant really recall) was also warm and sincere in showing our room, the Thai Room.

THAI Room: Very clean, comfy queen and king beds, huge bathroom and bathtub and the room smells very nice. Fish spa was awesome, me and my friends were giggling and laughing away trying it. Could smoke in our balcony (fish spa, table with chairs, ash tray) as it was our private balcony and its outdoors, so everything was good except for the mosquitos.

Ambience: Peaceful and relaxing

Room Service: Need to call them to topup our hot water for the drinks, but it was done very fast. Lots of tea bags and coffee were given as well.

Spa: Very good, staff were professional. Choosed foot reflexology, aromatherapy massage and hot herbal compress massage :)

Cons: We didnt order anything from the restaurant as its too expensive. However, we bought our food beforehand and the staffs were kind to help us heat up the food and let us eat in their restaurant. Breakfast spread was so-so.

Plus Point: Could use the two pools 24hours

Overall me and my friends think its worth it if you have extra money to splurge and pamper yourselves once in a while.

• Stayed January 2014

Been to Tempat Senang Resort? Share your experiences!