“More than meets the eyes” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pacific Palace Hotel

You added Pacific Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Pacific Palace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jln Duyung Sei Jodoh, Riau Islands Province 29432, Indonesia   |
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Batam
Singapore, Singapore
“More than meets the eyes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I had a 2D1N stay over at Pacific Palace Hotel with my gf, D, after following a tour group in the morning. We arrived at the hotel in the afternoon about 1pm on Sunday (Batam time) I was attracted by its big rotating door at the entrance of the hotel. We were asked to deposit an amount of SGD50 when we checked in at their lobby counter. It is to ensure that in any event that we damage or consume any chargable items, the cost will be deducted from the deposit.

The hotel has a spacious and grand lobby, with a few shops at the sides. We got a room on the 6th. The room was of an acceptable level of neatness but the toilet was slightly disappointing. Toilet was quite small and the shower area was tiny. Their hotel rooms are layout in such a way that you can look into the room opposite if curtains are not drawn. This is a minus point as there is no sceneric view from our windows and have to keep the curtains drawn for privacy. We visited the massage and spa located on the 3rd and had a package of Thai massage, body scrub and milk bath for 330,000Rp each. The price may not the cheapest in Batam but we reckon that prices will add up to be the same if we were to take a cab out. The masseuse were skilled but they had some problems communicating in English. We wanted to try out the swimming pool but it was just way too crowded. Another minus point is that the receptionist service was not really good that night. We ordered Kuay Lapis from a shop during our tour and it was delivered to the reception counter. But they did not bother to give us a call for pickup when it arrived.

The main attraction about this hotel is not in the hotel, but it is the eating place just behind this hotel. We had our dinner there from this shop, 924 seafood. We ordered a curry fish head, mussels and a plate of vegetable for 192,000Rp. The curry fish head was just too awesome. Beer there was cheap too; San Miguel Light big bottle at 17,000Rp. Breakfast buffet at the hotel dining was great. They offered a wide variety of food. My favourites were the beef steak bacon and the omelette station. Their service was fast as they topped up the dish before it ran out. I spent almost 1.5 hours there just for the breakfast.

I will say, "Ignore the ship feature because you are not able to see it at close range. See it on Google instead." Focus on Pacific Plaza Hotel's breakfast, massage and spa and most importantly, the seafood dinner place behind the hotel. The services of this hotel may not be that great but it is still at an acceptable level.

Room Tip: I do not know if they do have rooms with scenic view but you can request for one, instead of facing...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there on 10 oct -11 Oct. Hotel with grand lobby setting. I was having a lot of problems and hassle frm jakarta due to flight delays and stranded in jkt airport for 9 hours and finally reached the hotel about 8pm and was so tired. The front office staff was pleasant except for this male guest services baldy staff who I felt was a bit too much as he was with his cynical smile when he knew I was having some problem on paying the deposit with foreign currencies and indo rupiahs. I havent had time withdrawing my cash from the atm as all I wanted was a good rest first. Anyway the cash monies I had was enough for the deposit. I also felt that the hotel taxi overcharged for a distant to the harbourbay ferry terminal and as usual the driver will say no change when paying time. As a fellow hotelier I always would like to give the best for my customers but the check in incident really made me so embarrased whenever I think of it. The beakfast was awesome esp with the whole restaurant staff greeting at the same time. The hotel was armed with good locksets but such a waste that the lift keycards encoder were not working. Value for money hotel overall.

• Stayed October 2013
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The first impression of the hotel when we stepped in was spacious. The staff at the reception was helpful. However, when we went to the room, to my horror, there were cockroaches. For just barely 2 hours in the hotel, my husband and I killed at least 2 big ones and 8 small ones in the room. Called the reception for a change of room but was told the hotel was fully booked and they told us they will call the housekeeping staff to change the bedsheet. But we told them is not the bedsheet issue. Then they offered to spray the room but I turned down their suggestion as by doing that it will cause the cockroaches to 'rush' out. So in the end, we were forced to have sleepless night in a room with cockroaches. For those who fear insects like me, my advice to you is not to choose this hotel. Because my room is not the only room with cockroaches. My friends who were in another room was also having the same issue but they are braver than me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Odd looking place but inside looks just like a normal hotel. Beautiful and impressive lobby. The girls at the front desk are charming and helpful. The swim pool was out of action for renovation. :-(
I had to turn off the A/C because it was blowing in cigarette smoke from somewhere else in the building. The place has seen better days and is looking a bit tatty in some areas. The food at the buffet breakfast was excellent and plentiful. We stayed just the 1 night as part of a shopping deal. Got the room for a bargain price so don't know what the normal room rates are like in terms of value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room. Indonesian men smoke incessantly. A room overlooking the gym/pool area h...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, null, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

After viewing photos on the hotel and the unique 'cruise' setting of the hotel, I was expecting a near cruise environment. However, apart from the outer appearance and the lobby, the rest of the hotel did not really have the cruise 'feel'. I went on the trip together with my colleagues so we had a couple of rooms and spent 1 night over there.

Pros:
- Spacy and comfortable lobby, especially while you are waiting to check in. Service in Batam is generally slower as compared to the service you would get over here. So just be prepared to wait for a while. Refreshing cold orange cordial drinks were served in the lobby while you are waiting.
- The rooms given were pretty spacious with space for us to walk around.
- The hotel looked prettier in the day as compared to the night time. There were a couple of nice places for us to take photos in, especially the lobby of the hotel.

Cons:
- House-keeping department - As we had 3 of us in the room, we requested and paid for an extra bed. However after going for dinner for close to 3 hours, when we were back, our extra bed have not arrived. We have to call the house-keeping which directed us to the receptionist to confirm our additional order, then directed back to the house-keeping who said they will send someone up to our room. We waited close to 30 minutes for this to be solved.
- Hotel room - The water-boiler in our room was not working well. The plug was loose and the power went on and off. As the house-keeping guy came to setup my extra bed, I showed him the boiler, he too tried a few times to get the power to stay on. However after a while it will stop. I asked him to change the boiler for me, he said ok, but he never came back.
- Lighting - The lighting of the building and the rooms were too dim for my liking. The corridors were dimly lighted, and it doesn't really help that the room doors are black in colour. The rooms only had 2 wall lamps beside the bed and one table light at the study table. It was very dim and very orangey. Would prefer hotel rooms to be brighter.
- The swimming pool was under maintenance but we were not told about this when we booked the hotel a few weeks back. Many of my colleagues had little children who were quite disappointed.
- There were no nearby shopping centres or places of interest for you to visit within walking distance. If you want to visit other places, be prepared to travel by taking a taxi.
- Entertainment - There were not much entertainment places in the hotel at night. As there were no where to go, we could only stay at the lounge. They had people singing for about an hour on Friday night and that's about it. We had some light snacks at the lounge but the service was very slow. We waited for about 30 minutes for our order of drinks, ice cream and sandwiches. As there is a disco located within the hotel, we could see alot of skimpy clad ladies and men walking around the hotel. It wasn't such a pleasant slight, but thankfully we hung out together in a large group.

If given another choice, I would choose to stay in another newer hotel, somewhere within walking distance to a shopping centre, which can provide some form of entertainment together with friends. We were glad that we had the company of each other, or we would be very bored in the hotel as there were nothing around we could do. The hotel should also inform us if such facility, as important as the pool was closed during that period, especially as it was part of Singapore's school holiday when most families would be travelling.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The exterior of the hotel wasnt that nice and the paint is fading.
but upon stepping into the entrance of the hotel as well as seeing the main lobby, you will be amazed with the magnificent creation and the interior was exactly the same as inside a cruise!

The hotel has 8 floors, and have hundreds of rooms. the pool is indoor and even if you swim on the daytime, you wont tan immediately. the jacuzzi is also indoor. Sauna and o2 room is also on their amenities. The gym which is also enough to accommodate 50 person at a time.

The hotel has 3 lifts which is good because you wont wait too long for you to get into your room. Entire floor is carpeted. The rooms are also spacious enough. The television has quite a few cable english channels. Rooms are equipped with mini bar. The comfort room is big enough.

Service wise, the maintenance dept wasnt good enough. we requested for new tissue on our 2nd day because upon check in, we are using the leftover tissue by the previous occupant. i suggest, if this is the case, they will still provide the guests with a standby new tissue even there is a previous tissue from the occupants.

The extra bed is also comfy enough. The menus are also on the table and very well arranged.

One downside was, we were'nt informed ahead that the pool was on maintenance. Bookings are made 7 days ahead. And i believe, maintenance of the pool is scheduled. So please, next time, give your guests a notice that the pool will be closed so that your guests can reschedule their stay with you or will transfer hotel instead. In this part, i wont give Pacific Palace a good point. You have Poor communication with the guest. One of the reasons why you have guests is because they want to relax. And swimming pool is one outlet of relaxation. How come you never anticipated this part.

The breakfast should be served until 11am. They only serve it until 10am. The guests are forced to get up early in that case. Even McDonalds serve breakfast until 1030. Please spare more time with serving your guests. Moreover, not enough good mix of international food.

Check in and check out service is fast.

Guest can come and may come back if the service is the BEST. Since i experienced this inconvenience with Pacific Palace, i wont be coming back to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Easy to find and close to the beach, the hotel is not far from Nagoya shopping center. The hotel was very clean with nice interior design. Not very big building but the lobby was spacy and the room was well designed.

Room Tip: There are some nice seaview.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Pacific Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!