“Passivity , Careless , very dissapointed !” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Sweet Year End Deal
Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Surabaya
Jakarta
“Passivity , Careless , very dissapointed !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I actually very rarely give negative comment/s after staying in hotels anywhere. I've stayed start from extra low cost hotel until 5 plus hotel worldwide, but today experience push me to express my disappointment to services of "House Keeping" 5-Star Shangrila Surabaya.
I used to stay 06-08 April 2014...this morning I am departed from my room 06.30 AM to work, with (surely) the hotel staff will (normally) check my room, lifting my laundry and make up the room.
Unfortunately while I am back at 01.30 PM, come in to my room ...surprise....all remain unchanged. Towel, waste, everything still messy.
Duty Manager said ( I think she was argue and look up for excuse!) making up rooms still on progress and about reaching my room.. Hey I didnt see any stroller around..?
Bad bad bad.... I have to enjoy my mess up room for today....( fyi, I stay at EXECUTIVE ROOM with price almost USD 200 !!!!)
Thanks Shangri-La Surabaya for this moment.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Martin B, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Surabaya, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Situmeang,

Thank you for sharing your feedback during your recent stay at Shangri-La Hotel, Surabaya.

We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with our service during your stay. Please contact me with your contact details at martin.brenner@shangri-la.com so that I can investigate this matter further.

We appreciate your feedback and are looking forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Surabaya in the near future.

Shangri-La Hotel, Surabaya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
Malang, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

It just my bad day, the valet lost track of my car , we ended up waiting for 30 minutes. We booked the hotel for 1.6 mil and no breakfast ?!?? We ended up late on our event.

+ the room is beautiful, the buffet was great

It just i gave them 3 stars for not giving me any complementary after what they've done for losing track of my car and made us late !!

Stayed September 2013
Martin B, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Surabaya, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Hari M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback during your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that you did not have a pleasant experience with our valet service. Rest assured that we have taken note of your feedback and we will use it to further improve our service.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Saffron Walden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

The ambience, created by the overall décor, facilities and, most importantly, the welcoming & friendly staff is second to none. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed, with a good WiFi connection. The only negative is the "controllability" of the a/c and the showers that shed water onto the bathroom floor no matter how you try to prevent it.
Will these things prevent me from staying here again? Definitely not!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Very nice hospitality, warm reception by hotel staff. The variety of restaurants in-house is good (Chinese, Texan, Italian, Local delights, Japanese ..). Good network quality for wireless. Variety of international TV channels and movie channels in place. The gym is good with individual TV for each equipment.

Room Tip: Rooms near EXIT doors are noisy.
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

You won't find a better hotel in the city with regards to western standards, food, and amenities. Being an expatriate living in Surabaya, I visit the Jamoo restaurant often because I find the food to be the best in the city. It's a large buffet style lunch or dinner that has well prepared local dishes as well as imported and western items such as cheese and bread which are generally not available in the city at all and you won't find them in any restaurant. Crusty grainery bread, brie, figs... sushi bar, pasta bar, desert island...it goes on and on. For a western pocket, it is affordable too, although very expensive for local standards. Breakfast is free however, and is just as good in the same restaurant. There is also a lounge where most hours of the day there are complimentary cocktails and food items being served that are of very high quality.

As an expatriate, I also enjoy visiting various spas in the city and I must say this is the biggest, cleanest, and most complete. Besides standard spa fair, you have tennis courts, and even table tennis, not to mention a full gym. The pool is also beautiful.

I found the room which I stayed in last night to be very comfortable, large, and clean. Room service was quick and polite too. Others have mentioned some maintenance issues and I must agree that there were a few things like the toilet flush not being perfect and the wardrobe door being stuck. If you have never traveled this part of the world before, then I must tell you that this is about as good as it gets here. It was near perfect.

My only complaint is about something that would not affect most visitor here. Most locals drive motorbikes except the rich and very little attention is put into the motorbike parking area. It is in the back around the side and one must then walk all the way around the hotel without any rain cover or even pedestrian path. It is also dangerous. A large unsecured steel pole fell down and nearly hit my wife in the head, hit my motorcycle ripping the seat and causing me to topple over with the motorcycle. The result of this was a free voucher for a room which is why we stayed a night here. They also assured us that the parking is temporary and its upgrade is of highest priority. Six months later, the parking is exactly the same. Nonetheless, our experience of spending the night and having another couple who are friends visit us there during the day to use the facilities was so good that I wanted to write a positive review. The hotel is really great with the best facilities in the city.

The location is also decent. There is a Mexican restaurant, an Italian restaurant, and a well known night club in the hotel as well. One of the fanciest and newest shopping malls is across the street, and for those who know what it is, Dolly is five minutes away as well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Shangri La Hotels

Martin B, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Surabaya, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear sonictravels,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay with us.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our food in Jamoo Restaurant and our health club facilities.

For the motorcycle parking spot, you will be pleased to know that we now have a dedicated secured parking area for guest motorcycle.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

This is my first stay at the Shagrila Surabaya. Even though I frequently go to Sby for business, i usually stay at a different 5 star hotel. The service was good, check in was fast and efficient. The room was a disspointment. Even though it was not modern by current standards, but was still a well designed room. However, there were many problems with the facilities in the room, such as the AC, standing lamp and even the sink in the bathroom. Maintenance is a big issue.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I don't usually like chain hotels, and was very happily surprised by this one, which combined efficiency with a beautiful setting. The staff in every department were not only very helpful, but seemed genuine about service. Unfortunately I became unwell there, but the hotel nurse and visiting doctor were in my room in a very short time, and not long after the prescribed medication was delivered to me. The food is good, especially breakfast overlooking the pool and garden, the room-service reliable, and the prices are surprisingly reasonable. I was there for business but would like to return for pleasure.

Room Tip: The executive rooms mean that you can use the lounge and refreshments there, and there is a good vie...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Martin B, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Surabaya, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear neleh2014,

Thank you for giving us your review during your stay at Shangri-La Hotel, Surabaya.

It is unfortunate that you are feeling unwell while you were here, but we are glad to hear that our staff took the utmost care of you.

We thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back again, soon!

Shangri-La Hotel, Surabaya

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Surabaya? Share your experiences!