“Decent place” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Shah Alam, Malaysia
“Decent place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Having travelled around the world to world-famous eating hotspots, I can definitely say that Semarang doesn't exactly have some of the best eating places in the world. By international standards, this is okay. By Semarang standards, this is considered very good. The prices are slightly expensive by Semarang standards but cheap by international standards. What this place has going for it is the wonderful colonial atmosphere and if you are interested in buying biscuits, this has lots of them for sale. Worth checking if you are in Semarang.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Indonesian first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“not as expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

had lunch back in the summer of 2012, during ramadan. Maybe that was the reason for the food not being really tasteful. Alltogether the food was not in line with what I had previously read in travelbrochures and reviews.

However, the staff was nice though.

Visited September 2012
“"Ignorance is bliss", certainly true in this case...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

It's taken me 6 years to finally get around to visiting Toko Oen, and now that I have, I wish it lived up to the place everyone had recommended.
Overpriced, average/poor quality fare. Rp.28,000 for a frozen cappuccino which when presented was clearly a Rp.1,500 packet coffee possibly blended with ice - not even cold, let alone frozen! Only fancied a snack so ordered the kroket, eugh! Some hideous breaded fried matter with some unappetising cold slop on the side. That dish was truly evil. God help you if you brave a main course!!
The service was good, your average Indonesian standard, no complaints there. As has been mentioned before here, the lighting is quite bright (seems to be something most places struggle with in Indonesia), and not much of an ambience. The soft furnishings jarring somewhat with the surroundings and a general feeling of resting on laurels about the place. It's clear an effort has been made to preserve some historical integrity, but maybe not so recently.
The exterior leaves a lot to be desired considering this is a listed building. Uninviting, surrounded by rubble and hard to find due to a banner obscuring the sign, we almost missed it.
Overall, a disappointment. A shame as its history should be revered not just exploited.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful building but too bright”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a quick meal at Toko Oen while staying in Semarang. The atmosphere wasn't terrific due to the extra bright lighting.

A great place for ice-cream and other sweets.

Fantastic old colonial building.

Visited July 2013
Semarang, Indonesia
“One of the best places to buy pastries in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I would like to share my experience in visiting Toko Oen yesterday. As usual, I visited this place for one reason : Buying different pastries for my family as I always did in the past six years. As usual, I selected "lidah kucing dengan keju", "lidah kucing biasa", "nastar keju", "kripik keju" etc. The best thing is they always allow the guests to try any pastry (kue kering) first before we even decide to buy.

For me and my family, this place is always on top of our priority should we look for good quality pastries. I had dined in few times in this establishment and tried out few different foods during my past visits. Honestly speaking, I would rate their food quality as average but I would say I strongly recommend to try their ice creams (it's worth trying) as its taste is unique (delicious as well).

Overall, I would recommend this place to everyone who visits Semarang : The owner keeps the building as it is until today : I believe the local government has classified this building as one of the heritage buildings in town. So, someone can dine in or even purchase their pastries while enjoying the ambiance in a classic (old dutch) building.

• Visited July 2013