“Very nice hotel for business or tourist” 4 of 5 stars

Savana Hotel & Convention
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Letjen Jendral Sutoyo 32-34, Malang, Indonesia   |
Ranked #7 of 40 hotels in Malang
Columbia, Maryland
“Very nice hotel for business or tourist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

As others have stated, the layout of this hotel is odd because it was once a mall of sorts. However, the unusual layout does not detract from the hotel, as the common areas are quite spacious and nicely apportioned. I was at the hotel for three nights. All of the hotel staff were very accommodating from the front desk personnel to the bellmen who order taxis. The breakfast buffet was very good. My room was nicely decorated, large and with clean bath area and well functioning plumbing. Air Conditioning in the room was fine.
Some colleagues who were staying at the hotel thought that the nearby train tracks and train activity was disturbing, however I barely heard it. You might think of asking for a room away from the noise. I also heard no noise from the bar/lounge area on the sixth/seventh floor and I was on the sixth floor.

The hotel is a fairly short cab ride away from downtown and other attractions and there is little within comfortable walking distance except for small convenience or grocery stores.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the railroad as possible when you book, if you don't like that sort of...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Savana Hotel M, General Manager at Savana Hotel & Convention, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Phil H,

“Warmest Greeting from SAVANA Hotel & Convention”

Thank you so much for staying with us and spare the time to give the feedback.
In addition, we thank you for your excellent rating for all the services and facilities that is really appreciated. We honored with your outstanding comments. I will share your comment to my staffs; sure, they will be more motivated to serve the guests from their heart.
We are looking forward to welcoming you in the near future.

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Courteous staff throughout the whole hotel as they are always ready to help whatever and whenever you need them. Not only do they take customer satisfaction seriously, they are willing to go the extra miles too. The room is quite spacious, nicely decorated and very modern. Breakfast set up was top notch every day with fresh, well prepared and great selection of food. I tried their roof top bar, After 5ive, and it was amazing - It's a cool place to hang out with a live band and great view of the city. I would say that staying in this hotel is worth with great value and I would recommend for someone to experience if one is traveling to Malang for business and/or vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Savana Hotel M, General Manager at Savana Hotel & Convention, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear The_2013traveller,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking time to give the feedback.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night, it's locate in the city, easy to travel to everywhere. I like the room, it's very spacious and clean. I got it on the 6th floor. The staffs are friendly and helpful. Breakfast menu is ok not much variety but it taste ok. Hopefully in the future it can have more varieties. I like the shower also, it has two kinds of shower. I enjoy stayed here.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Merlyna Y,

“Warmest Greeting from SAVANA Hotel & Convention”

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking time to write a review.
We really appreciated your constructive comments regarding the variety of breakfast menu. We do concern and will review that to make it better.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed at Savana hotel back in April 2013 for two nights. It is nicely located near the city center (about 15 minutes by car) and the famous Bakso President is a stone throw away from the hotel. The room is spacious and clean, I had mine on the second floor and it was nice and quiet. There wasn't really a view from the room but it didn't bother me as I was out of the hotel most of the time. The restaurant has a good selection for breakfast with a mix of Indonesian and Continental breakfast. I ordered beef rawon for lunch from the hotel restaurant and it was great. The portion is generous and the sambal is spicy goodness. They gave us a voucher for 10 mins (or was it 15?) free massage upon checking in but I didn't get a chance to use it. Overall, it was a nice, comfortable stay during my business trip in Malang.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Savana Hotel M, E-Commerce Dept. at Savana Hotel & Convention, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear si_zel,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking time to give the feedback.
We are delighted with your exceptional comments. I will share your comment to all the staffs, especially F & B Staffs; sure, they will be more motivated to serve the guests from their heart.

We are looking forward welcoming you back very soon.

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The property was previously built as a shopping mall. But business was bad, and it was acquired and furbished into a hotel. Because it was not designed as a hotel in the first place, you have to deal with some unusual features of the property.

One is the floors are split into two uneven parts. One part is lower than the other. If you happen to bring a heavy luggage and you took the wrong elevator on the ground floor, you will end up having to heave your luggage down or up the stairs to your room. Don't be shy, ask the bellboy to bring your luggage up so you can avoid this.

Two is some rooms are built with the windows facing into the central atrium of the hotel, which used to be the central atrium of a shopping mall. Yes, there is only the view of the hotel interior from there, not the beautiful nature of Malang.

We stayed here during the New Year, and unsurprisingly, the hotel was full with families who wanted to celebrate the new year.

We did not spend much time during the day in the hotel, because we used the time to explore. But what we discovered during the night was enough to make us rethink the hotel for our next visit.

My room was on the 5th floor, and just under the hotel's night club. At night when we were getting to bed, we can hear loud music and deep bass pounding on our ceiling. A good thing that we were there for the New Year, so we were prepared to have little sleep.

And staying in lower floor doesn't guarantee a peaceful sleep, because just behind the hotel is an active railway track.

The plus thing about the hotel (Though I don't know how long they will keep the service), they provide complimentary drinks in the refrigerator including mineral water, Coca-Cola, Minute Maid, and Mizone. They are resupplied every day. With some careful planning, you can spend the whole stay without having to buy beverages at all.

The minus thing about staying here during a public holiday is there are so many guests staying here. The breakfast buffet was already so-so, and it was served in a small restaurant. And with a lot of guests heaping food on their plates, spilling the floor, yelling, crying, shoving, breakfast was never a pleasant experience.

But there is one big plus about the hotel. If you go out of the gate, take a right turn into a alley, and walk your way through to the railway track behind the hotel, on your right you will find Bakso Presiden, one of the popular place to enjoy a Bakwan Malang.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room that is close to the club, or close to the railway track, or with...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Savana Hotel M, E-Commerce at Savana Hotel & Convention, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Mr. Stephen S.

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking time to give the feedback.

We have well noted all the issues you have written and we keep our efforts to make them better so we are able to give the best service to our valued guests. Please accept our apologies for those inconveniences when you stayed with us. We definitely would concern about this.

We are looking forward welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

First time my stay in this hotel..this is what I called hospitality!! Friendly staffs, clean rooms n bathrooms, also nice food. Booked 2 rooms for a nite, my kids all enjoyed there, they love there!! Couldn't extend for more days due to fully booked.. :( .. But overall..it was all good!! Satisfying! Give the best!!just the sound of the train, that sometime bothering(cos it near to the train station)..but definitely I will choose that hotel again, if it happen that I am in Malang!!:) cheers!

• Stayed June 2013
Savana Hotel M, E-commerce at Savana Hotel & Convention, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear ivysug,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking time to give the feedback.
We are delighted with your exceptional comments. So sad we didn’t keep in touch any longer because of our full occupancy.
However, we are looking forward welcoming you back very soon.
I will share your comment to all the staffs; sure, they will be more motivated to serve the guests from their heart.

E-commerce Dept.
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Reach the hotel around 7pm and preparation by the front desk to check in the room is fast. The room is very spacious but a bit dusty during checking in and throughout the 3 night stay. There is no scenery fron the room balcony as it is facing inside the building. The swinmming pool is just beside the restaurant. The staff is very helpful during the stay. When i ask the conceirge where to buy my handphone credit top up as mine is expired, he willingly help me to buy from the nearest shop and sent it to my room. The is also a factory outlet just opposire the hotel.(not as good as the F.O. at Bandung) Stay away from the room at level 5 as it may be quite busy when there is a function at the ballroom.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Oktraveller,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking time to give the feedback.
I have well noted the cleanliness issue of the room please accept my personal apologies. I have personally transmitted your issue to my Housekeeping Department and definitely would concern about this.
We are looking forward welcoming you back soon.

E-Commerce Dept.

Been to Savana Hotel & Convention? Share your experiences!