“fabulous setting, but average food” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 25 Restaurants in Magelang
Cuisines: French
Moscow
“fabulous setting, but average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Make sure that your driver knows where exactly this hotel (and restaurant) is located, as it's quite far away from everything with no road signs to follow. We've had a local driver and even he had to call 3 times to ask for a direction.

The villa belongs to a French owner and his wife, so I was actually hoping for a good lunch with a touch of french cuisine. Nevertheless, the menu was mostly indonesian with some (very common) european courses. Prices were similar or higher than in Yogyakarta (which fact really surprised me, because we were literally in the middle of nowhere - on the road between Borobudur and Dieng), but the food turned out to be very average. I can't say that it was bad - no, it wasn't. It's just that there was nothing to write about (I can't even remember what I ordered, although a week before, for example, we've had a delicious lunch in The Junction on Bali, and I still recall every single detail of it).
Our driver ordered something local and didn't even finish his meal (told us that he probably would cook it better).
Staff was very nice, though - and the setting is very nice. Spectacular views from the pool near the restaurant.

And about the owner... He was actually present, and we were the only people at the lunch, but he didn't bother to come and ask if we liked the food. He was just sitting with his laptop and seemed completely busy and uninterested. It's not like he HAS to ask us, but if I was the owner, I would be more interested about how things are going on with his customers.

Overall: the long search for this place wasn't worth it.

• Visited October 2012