“Exhilarating atmosphere, outstanding hospitality.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Padma Hotel Bandung

You added Padma Hotel Bandung to your Saves list
Padma Hotel Bandung
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Ranca Bentang 56 - 58 | Ciumbuleuit, Bandung 40142, Indonesia   |
Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 174 Hotels in Bandung
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Exhilarating atmosphere, outstanding hospitality.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed in this hotel from March 16th to 20th, 2012 after reading excellent reviews from TripAdvisor. The Padma Hotel in Ciumbuleuit Bandung is built on the crest of a valley providing spectacular views of the hill slopes and the Parahyangan Mountains beyond. Bandung has an altitude of about 768 meters, is popular with the folks from Jakarta who drive up for the weekends to enjoy the luscious green scenery and cool, fresh mountain air. The hotel re-branded its name from Malya Hotel in Bandung to Padma Hotel Bandung after renovation works about three years ago and is managed by Padma Hotel and Resorts. It is situated a few minutes away from the city center.

Our hotel check-in was swift and efficient. We were presented with a warm, aromatic herbal drink, handed our room keys and taken straight to our room.

The deluxe room we had is not large, but is comfortable. There's a Hitachi flat screen wall mounted TV with 57 different channels for selection. The room has a safe deposit box, and room lights that can be dimmed. There’s complimentary Internet access using a LAN wire in the rooms and complimentary WiFi in the public areas. There are tea-making facilities in the room, a fridge that had nothing inside. But we didn't mind this, as we don't normally drink anything from the hotel fridge. Having a fridge, however, is useful so as to store your own drinks and for keeping cool certain items we had like the strawberries we bought. Complimentary bottled drinking water is provided. Rooms are cleaned once every morning.
The hotel restaurant serves both Asian and Western cuisine. Breakfast is fabulous with a very wide array of food including local Indonesian food like kelpon, dadar gulung, putu mayang, surabi, bubur kacang hijau, in addition to the usual Western fare of beef bacon, sausages, eggs done in several ways, a selection of juices, breads, cereals and fruits, cold cuts and cheeses, etc. including a selection of ice creams! In the afternoons there's complimentary tea and snacks for guests.

A unique 24-hour butler service sees to all your requests, and there are banquet and meeting facilities. Their Champaka Wedding Chapel is the only floating wedding chapel in Bandung, and was utilized over the Saturday and Sunday we were there. There is a fitness center on the 2nd floor Lobby area. Yoga classes, aerobic classes and a personal trainer program are available. They also provide foot reflexology and a spa. Outdoor facilities within the hotel area include Flying Fox, High Rope walking, team building, Wall climbing, and Jungle trekking. There's a swimming pool with an infinity edge, and a smaller warm water jacuzzi pool at the side.

The quality that strikes one upon checking into this hotel is the friendliness and warmness that is so palpable with the staff and employees and of course the spectacular views! From the management downwards every one has a greeting for you, smiles constantly and is remarkably polite.

We met the Duty Manager Mr Rangga, several times a day during our stay as we seem to be constantly bumping into him, and was overwhelmed by his hospitality and concern for our comfort and well fare. When we had a minor complaint about our room after the first night, he insisted on upgrading our deluxe room to a room with a balcony despite the fact that the hotel was brimming full with wedding guests. Outstanding service was provided by Eldin at the restaurant who never fails to hover around to attend to all our needs, to even bringing our orders from the buffet breakfast to our table, and ensuring a constant pour of fresh hot coffee.

We were overwhelmed by Aji, who recommended and arranged transportation for us to town to the factory outlets, and to special dinner locations like Kampong Daun and The Valley. One day when it was his day off, Aji also drove us in his own car to Kawah Putih, stopping for lunch on the way back at a renowned Sudanese restaurant for very nice food. This took about six hours of his time, and he was scheduled to work the late night shift later that day! We have not experienced hotel hospitality carried out to this extent before!

The dedication of the staff and their commitment to making guests feel like they are at home with friends made the biggest impact on us. Would we return? Certainly yes! But this time not over a week end!

Tips:
Weekends in Bandung are overriding with people and the traffic is horrendous! It takes a longer time to reach your destination if you need to pass through the city center where all the Factory outlets are situated.
Do find out first if there are functions on if you contemplate going over a weekend, as there may be weddings and meeting functions and the noise level, the rise in numbers of guests, can be bothersome. It so happened that the weekend we went there were several functions on.
The quiet season is within the first few months of the year till March.
I managed to obtain sporadic WiFi signals in our upgraded room as this was close to the restaurant.
The hotel-arranged transportation can be more expensive than local taxis. Amongst the local taxis, choose only the Blue Bird or GR Company cabs as these uses the taximeters to charge.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony so that sitting on the balcony you'd be able to enjoy the cool...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I was introduced to stay at Padma Hotel by my good friend and ex-colleague.....upon my arrival at the hotel, we were welcome by the hotel friendly, courteous and cheerful Ludy and the team that extend their warm welcome to our family of six. It was my son's 8th birthday trip.

Check-in was so swift and we were ushered to the coffee house to enjoy our tea before we proceed to our room. We were so overwhelm by the spectacular view of the hotel. On the day of my son's birthday, a surprise party awaits him all plan by Ludy. My son, Nat was so surprise that he's been talking about it even after he is back in Singapore. We will definitely return to Padma and have been sharing with our family members and church friends of this super duper hotel and of course Ludy......Ludy we miss you.

Room Tip: Just email Ludy and he will ensure you have a good room.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

The Padma Hotel is 30 minutes away from Bandung airport (non-peak hour traffic jam factored in) but twith transfers included in the hotel rate, the exit and return to the airport was a piece of cake. The hotel is as pretty as the pictures show - both where it is sited (against the side of one of the hills that Bandung city is cradled within), as well as its rooms. We opted for the premier double rooms in the new wing as these rooms have bath-tubs whereas the standard ones have only shower cabins - for an additional sgd$27 a night at hotels.com. The hotel is about a 10 minutes by car from the hustle and bustle of Bandung city. We were quoted 35 000 Indonesian Rupiah by taxi for this one trip but went with a daily car rental (12 hours with driver) that we got from other tripadvisors' reviewers for 400 000 IDR in a roomy SUV for the 4 of us.

You enter the hotel on level 1 which is where reception, an open lounge area as well as the restaurants are, and the rooms are spread out over the 7 floors below this! Therefore, our room, Rm 224 was more spacious (than the standard room size) though being one floor below the restaurant meant those who retire early for the night may find it ever so slightly noisy as there is a piano just above in one of the restaurants though thankfully it is not right by the window. For the 3 nights from a Tuesday that we were there, we were not disturbed even though we were back in our room from about 11pm. My one gripe with the hotel is the soft pillows... Both my husband and I felt they were way too soft. Also, free wifi was available in the public areas so on occasion, we could get connection from our room but for reliability, it's best to bring ones own cables for land connection available in the rooms free of charge of course.

The hotel is fully booked for wedding receptions by the poolside every weekend for the rest of the year at any one time apparently... Our room faced the open-air swimming pool (on either the 4th or 5th level) whereas my parents who travelled with my husband and I stayed in Rm 225 across from ours so their room looked out onto beautiful foliage totally - which meant they were not hit by the afternoon sun nor the heat of the morning sun which was what we got! However, the evenings were nicely cool - around 24 degrees celsius so it was most pleasant! As it gets dark from around 6.15pm, it's best to get to any of quite a number of hillside alfresco restaurants by 5.45pm so one may enjoy the scenery of the mountain ranges and before the pinpricks of lights start to appear all over Bandung city.

The breakfast buffet and service at the Padma were truly as wonderful as most reviewers have pointed out time and again. Both restaurant servers and hotel staff had ready smiles and were ever so helpful. At breakfasts, even though we could easily help ourselves to a wide range of both asian and western options including cheeses and even exotic flavours of ice-cream like jackfruit, we were served the freshest and the hottest of omelettes and pancakes and so on! The hotel also serves an afternoon buffet tea between 3 and 5pm to hotel guests free of charge. We learnt about lots of Indonesian as well as Sundanese desserts and sweetmeats as a result. The spread also included more typical tea items like sandwiches, doughnuts and also a chocolate fondue.

I would like to give special thanks to Ludy and Andhika at the Front Office of the Padma for going the extra mile so that my husband and parents and I had wonderful tours of Bandung and outlying areas; for conveying to the rental car drivers our needs and destinations so that we could get to our preferred factory outlets and procuring of local produce such as Indonesian coffees, locally grown groundnuts, Bandung's wonderful avocados and so on ... given our sparing grasp of the local Sundanese or Indonesian languages. Hatur nuhun and terima kasih to both of you! We certainly hope to return both to enjoy Bandung and Padma hospitality!

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face north and east and have pool views; odd numbered rooms face south and west...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Nandang_Suryana, General Manager at Padma Hotel Bandung, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear Serenet,

Warm Greetings from Padma Hotel Bandung!

Thank you for taking some of your precious time to share your exceptional and indigenous experience with Padma Hotel Bandung at TripAdvisor.

It’s such a pleasure to know that you’ve had such a lovely time at our hotel, enjoying our Hotel facilities and our hospitality. We are also delighted that you particularly satisfied with the services rendered from our associate Ludy and Andhika

However, I’m very much concerned with your highlights about soft pillow and wifi connections. During the period of your stay, we were in the middle of improving our pillows to the firmer ones and now, all of our pillows have been changed to firm pillows. On top of it, we’re also providing selection of Pillows Menu for the guests’ comfort. In reference to your remark about wifi connection, I’d like to inform you that effectively 1st of April 2012, wifi connection will be available in all hotel areas including rooms

I am pleased to inform you that effective immediately the wedding parties are not allowed to use pool deck as a venue, except 2 (two) more wedding events out of 32 wedding events which had been confirmed 1 – 2 years ago (they will be held on June 30, 2012 and October 20, 2012).

The team and I look forward to serving you and your family again in the near future.

Best regards
Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

I went with 4 rooms this weekend with my fam, 2 deluxe and 2 premier. I feel deluxe is more relaxing due to wooden floors and furnitures, premier is somewhat minimalist modern but lacks of "feel". Bathroom, while deluxe has no bath tub as premier has, I still value deluxe has higher natural-smart design. I stay in premier and the view outside my windows is thrilling. You will see the downsloped-hill beneath your feet, and the jungled hill in front of your eyes, those are inviting your mind to a remarkable nature. My kids love swimming so we swim at 6am and a very nice pool too. The pool and jacuzzi located in 8th floor with direct undisturbed panoramic to the hill...... It's just awesome!! Didn't I tell that their floor level is NOT going UP but going DOWN? Their hotel landscape follows the hills slope. Jacuzzi is too hot for me unfortunately. Then we re having a flying fox, football, horse ride at 2 bucks, and a programmed hill tracking for 45 minutes for free. And the bfast..... One of the most delicious and full traditional and western bfast package, my fam loves it. It was 11 noon and i need to preps for my checkout but my kid still asked for more swim and I could not be against him as I also feel the same due to very nice pool and the view to the hill. And, the staff is very warm to everyone.... Net net, I am very satisfied staying in this hotel and I would recommend this hotel very much to everyone.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

First it started off as chedi bandung , then malya bandung . My family and i were very familiar with this hotel for years . We had always visited this hotel in bandung because of the top notch service given by the staff and the location of the place is full of peace and tranquilty .
And came padma bandung , it was our first visit to the newly renovated hotel . New surroundings and also new staff . We met this lovely guy name , Aji . He was our butler . Not an ordinary butler i must say as he goes extra miles in giving out the best for his customer . I was very appaled and satisfied of his service . He showed us the different sight of bandung . So if you guys were to go there , look out for him ! Other aspects of the hotel , eg , the breakfast was perfect too . It was a 5 star standard which you get . there is a variety of local delights and internationl choices too . The rooms were amazing , i would suggest people to get a room which overlooks the moutain view . The feeling is refreshing every morning when you look towards the mountain in the morning .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

I love this hotel! Surprisingly excellent service, food is great, location? It's only a few minutes away from the center of Bandung! Rooms are very clean, nice view, toilets are very nice. Beds are very soft and warm.

• Stayed March 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

2 days get relaxing at padma hotel bandung.....like relaxing at home with amazing ambience , delicious food and just press one button from phone " O " our expetation and our need accomodate with great and amazing service from ludy and his team....butler arrange and provide anything with quick and extraordinary result...good job for ludy and his team.
my wife says like hollywood celebs holiday at padma hotel because she have assistance and caring her with heart not with how much you give a tip.......all of you must try butler service and off course must meet ludy...... most polite and pleasant person at padma..... i advised to be concern about cigarette smoke deffect at room specialy hillside.

Room Tip: galleri suite
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Padma Hotel Bandung? Share your experiences!