“Not as good as expected” 3 of 5 stars

G H Universal
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Setiabudhi 376, Bandung 40143 , Indonesia   |
Ranked #40 of 146 hotels in Bandung
Jakarta
“Not as good as expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed for 02 nights with my family. First, they gave room on the ground floor. When we saw the room, my children did not want to stay, because there was no view. After a long and hard discussion with the reservation, finally they gave us another room on the 4th floor. Much better view.

I thought they claim for 5 stars hotel, but to be honest, it's more suite to be no more than 4 stars. The room was very basic, and also the amenities, looked cheap. Basically everything was very basic if you want to see the detail. But the price was too high compare to other same grade hotel.
Breakfast, nothing special. We also tried the restaurant on the top floor. So-so.

The difference only the exterior theme or architectural. Yes, they built something different, but that's all. Lack of hospitality, lack of atmosphere.

Maybe it's only good for trying, or maybe it's good when you need to stay nearby. But for me and my family, once is enough.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

i stayed in the governor suite and my parents in the king suite. both are beautiful, with spacious rooms and very comfortable pillow and mattresses.
+ king suite: jacuzzi, kitchenettes with a microwave, and guest bathroom in the living room
+ governor suite: spacious living room and a plasma tv on the bath tub area.

i love the beautiful building and the view on the 5th floor as well. very romantic and classic. overall i enjoyed staying at G H Universal hotel, but since the room rate are pretty expensive for those suite rooms (it's around 9-10 millions per night), i think they should improve the amenities in the room (i cannot find a hairdryer in the bath room, they didn't change the shower gel on the next day and i had to ask them, no cotton buds, body lotion, and all those amenities i usually found in other 5* hotels, unstable WiFi signals) and also their services on the restaurant and reception area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I choose this hotel due to its BIG name. Everybody mentioned it and everybody said it stand out from the others. Then, I went to this hotel for a short trip with my family of 2yo son and 4mo daughter + my auntie.

Firstly, the good sides are (a) there was a dog kennel in a walking distance so you can consider of bringing your dog with you on vacation, (b) the bellboy is so attentive. I had the experience that I need to go back to my car in a downpour rain, the bellboy handed over his umbrella and let himself caught up by rain. It caught me by surprises then, of all staffs in this hotel, it's the bellboy who understand the meaning of "hospitality"..

Then I had a very, very, very bad experiences (the worst holiday experience ever!)....

ONE, when I checked in, I was in doubt of the room options. Should I choose two superior rooms, or one deluxe king with a baby cot or one superior room with extra bed (this is the last option). Since the front desk informed me that it was only one superior room left and the deluxe was located in the far corner, I chose this last option - superior room with extra bed. The room was so small and left no space if we added an extra bed. Later (in this review) you can see how wrong the front desk has informed me.

TWO, we've made a complaint on AC. It's not cold at all. For the first call (one hour after I checked in), the technician came and check the AC, he said to wait for another 15 minutes. After 30 minutes, I called again and the guy told me to wait for another 30 minutes. After an hour, I called and yelled and this time they offered me to change room. If at the end I had to change room, why I should wait for 2 hours??? The replacement room was next to my first room. Well, now I learned that there was actually another vacant room (refer to number ONE - not all superior rooms were occupied) and the front desk was failed completely to inform me. That's it, the front desk failure and the technician incompetence have ruined my holiday!

THREE, when I called to file a complaint to duty manager, he showed no empathy to my problem. He even was not afraid if my bad experience was published (even in this website). You have really serious issue if your duty manager behaved like that.

THREE STRIKES and you are out .....!!!

Room Tip: The so-called Superior room was not that superior, it's not suited for additional bed...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
SINGAPORE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

You will get an awesome king experience in this property , A place far from the Bandung town but worth to stay . 5 star service with a super low cost. The staff are marvelous with unbeatable service. My first impression for the property was FarFaraway Castle and Harry Potter style. You will be stunned when you realize there are a castle-like hotel at the mountain. I will definitely come again for my next trip

Room Tip: any room still the best
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stay there for 1 night 2 room,because we go at holiday the traffic to the hotel are awful,when we enter our room, there were a party above our room so its very noisy, the room are small, very standard no bathtub, the sheet is a bit dirty on the edge, because we were very tired, we didn't ask for a replacement but we did complain about it in the morning, the view in the roof restaurant is very amazing especially at night, we enjoy the beautiful architecture of the hotel and the view sourrounding but that's about all.

• Stayed March 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed on this hotel last Easter holiday for one night with my family. I arrived on late afternoon about 4 pm. The check in process was quick, and they provided afternoon break with coffee, cakes, and snacks. And I tell you after driving for hours from Jakarta, that simple coffee break can really mend a broken heart.
The hotel style was nice. I'm not really a European architect fan, but my kids loved it. The pool was moderately nice, but I think the kids pool was too small. They should know that kids are the prime customer of swimming pool.
The room was nice and spacious. But the bathroom was very small with no bathtub. The balcony was actually nice but they only put two ugly plastic chair on it, very unfortunate.
The breakfast was nice but lack of variety. The best thing was that there's no queue on egg section (this is very important). After breakfast there were some kids activity like painting and cooking class, another nice touch.
When we were about to checked out, we received a Brunch Break. It was more of a lunch break cause the food was even better than the breakfast. This a big plus, cause we could leave with full stomach, and ready to drive back to Jakarta.
And one more thing, the staffs are very friendly and well trained.
I will surely go back

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kota Bharu, Kelantan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Europe style. Nice hotel to stay. Spent one night in this hotel and what can i say it was superb! Love the decoration (interior/exterior). Not a strategic location but if you're a type who prefer quite place, then this hotel might suit you.

• Stayed March 2014

Been to G H Universal? Share your experiences!