“Cooling and relaxing” 4 of 5 stars

Tangkuban Perahu
Jl. Tangkuban Perahu no 147, Lembang, Bandung, Indonesia
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 33 Attractions in Bandung
Type: Geologic Formations, Mountains, Volcanos, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Outdoors
Singapore, Singapore
70 attraction reviews
“Cooling and relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I have not seen a volcano so near and so real. A visit here is better than reading thousand of words on volcano from a geography book. In my mind, I have always linked volcano to hot lava and molten rock but this place is so scenic, gorgeous and cooling. The sulphur smell may be a bit of nauseating but the place is really so pristine and natural that you found it so relaxing that you hope to explore it for a longer time. I read about harassment from pedlars at the attraction but as long as you avoid them politely, they are not going to harass you.

Although the volcano has been dormant for a reasonably period of time, you can still see smoke bickering out from the molten lava telling you that it is still very dangerous to stand so near to it. It always give me a fear that I would vanish into ashes if I slipped and fell into the center of the hot lava pool.

My Bandung friend hired a driver for 300,000 rupiah to drive us around Bandung visiting the attraction for the whole day. We visited a tea factory, a hotspring resort, a Buddhist temple and few other places but the visit to Tangkuban Perahu was the most memorable one. We have a cup of tea near the edge of the volcano and relaxed ourselves sipping the tea and enjoying the lovely weather and gorgeous scenery. Before we left, we took a photo with a pony for about 15,000 rupiah. The place is touristy but not really commercialized. It still retains its originality and natural stint.

If I have the chance, I would want to visit this place again.

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“So so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Compared to Kawah Putih, this is not that attractive. There is also some souvenir sellers who will follow you when you are enjoying the scene. I would not suggest visitors to buy their souvenirs.

Visited July 2014
KL
5 attraction reviews
“A unique experience with volcano”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Tangkuban Perahu is my first experience with volcano. The environment is cold n nice but the air is sulphuric. You can actually go right next to the crater with car although i found most foreign tourist were climbing the road by walking. We went there by hiring private driver as it is quite far from Bandung capital. Start your journey early morning. There u'll find rows of wooden shops selling almost everything. When its hot they'll sell cold water n when its raining they'll sell raincoat n umbrella. Try buying strawberries or blueberries. Its cheap but still u can try to bargain. Compared with another volcano site, Kawah Puteh ~ I'd prefer Kawah Puteh for its view. But Tangkuban Perahu is also nice to visit.

Visited June 2014
36 attraction reviews
“Highlight of Bandung”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We came here expecting to see a volcano and were surprised to view a crater with steam coming out of it. Spectacular views from the rim of the crater but could smell unpleasant due to the sulphuric odour. Rows of souvenir stalls around the area and it can be chilly early in the morning. Try to spend some time around the area to learn about this historic site. Only an hour's drive north of Bandung.

Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia
3 attraction reviews
“Unpleasant smell but great view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Went there with my kid and husband. It was the first time for kid and me but third times for my husband. Once arrived, my husband told me to buy face mask because he knows I can't stand with unpleasant smell. The place covered with mercury smells which comes out from the volcano. But the view and surrounding are great! Will go there again soon.

Visited December 2013