“Perfect location to get out of the standard tourist hustle and bustle.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Garden View Cottage

You added Garden View Cottage to your Saves list
Garden View Cottage
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Nyuh Kuning | Nyuh Kuning Village (Monkey Forest Road), Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #110 of 135 Hotels in Ubud
seward
“Perfect location to get out of the standard tourist hustle and bustle.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

No roosters so the mornings are quiet. Breakfast is great. Staff is superb. Rainy season makes the pool a little murky. Other than that its all you need to relax in a tropical paradise. Not a lot of traffic and off the main tourist paths so you don't get hassled like most of Ubud.

• Stayed December 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed for 5 days in October. I love to stay in the Nyuh Kuning area. It is a beautiful walk into Ubud and away from all the business. Because I booked in the last minute, not much was available during this time, so I ended up in Garden View. The Balcony and the view were great.The room was ok. The bathroom was terrrible.I dont know why, but in general the place had a sad feeling to it and needs an Uplift. The staff was nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I just spend my holiday in Ubud and found this hotel. It’s a peaceful place very close to monkey forest and surrounded by rice farm. So I can take a walk just 5 minutes to monkey forest, 10 minutes ubud palace, everything seem close from this hotel . Many old trees around nyuh kuning makes this place green and natural. I think the hotel is just renovated, I love the new clean room and the bathroom also. They have open style bathroom with garden looks clean and luxurious.
I like the breakfast, in the first day they server banana pancake with honey and lemon and in the next morning they offer black rice pudding with brown sugar and young coconut. Good breakfast.
Close the hotel there is Laka Leke restaurant with green garden and nice view, good choice to lunch and dinner, I recommend to try their frayed crispy duck, the hotel staff tell me this is their famous menu.
Three nights stay on this hotel the staff is very friendly. One of them offer us to join the tours to kintamani, so we go to Kintamani and seeing the coffee plantation, lake batur and the dance performance. I love this place

Room Tip: Bungalow with 2 floor good for family
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lecce, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed for two nights in a new cottage. The older ones are being renovated, but were far, so we were not bothered by the noise. We had a whole cottage for us, as we were 4 persons. The bedroom upstairs had a fantastic view on the rice paddies. The living room on the groundfloor was spacious, but we didn't use it at all, because we preferred to stay in the small garden and in the porch with our friends. The staff was friendly but the breakfast not so rich. We chose this accomodation when we were already in Ubud and after visiting it, and we were very satisfied for the comfort and the price. I loved the swimming pool lapis lazuli.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hobart, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed at Garden View Cottage for one night as we needed a "cheap and cheerful" in Ubud before moving into our special villa. I had tried to book Saren Indah next door where I had previously stayed but not enough rooms were available. I was familiar with the area so I took a punt with Garden View Cottage.
The hotel is in the Nyuh Kuning area, just south of the Monkey Forest in Ubud. Laka Leke Restaurant is nearby and worth going to for great food and Balinese dancing shows.

Our family group stayed in cottage and two "superior" rooms.
The good:
The building exteriors and grounds are very nicely presented and the staff were friendly and tried their best although some struggled with English. The pool was quite nice and bonus in a place in this price bracket.
The breakfast was adequate and served in an upstairs room overlooking the pool.
Free wi-fi was provided.
The cottage was quite OK and accommodated 3 people adequately.
The air-conditioning was cool and quiet.
The rooms had nice balconies.
The Bad:
The Superior rooms were decidedly inferior.
The bathrooms were not very clean, the shower was pathetic, just low pressure cold water. There was no hot water the first night in either of the superior rooms despite complaining to reception and requesting it to be fixed. There was no shower screen or curtain and water went all over the bathroom. The toilet was stained, the towell rail was rusty and the wash basin was chipped and cracked. See photos.
The paintwork in the bedrooms was dirty and water marked. The electrical wiring to the bedside lamp was downright dangerous! The ceiling showed signs of water leaks. The mosquito net was filthy. The bed was saggy and not very comfortable
There was no in room fridge or mini-bar.
It is a pity really because the exterior of the hotel and grounds are really quite nice.
The hotel rooms and bathrooms desperately need refurbishing, new beds, linen and installation of room fridges. Flat screen TVs are cheap these days and this would help improve the rooms.
Others have written that you can't expect too much for the price. I have stayed in budget hotels in Bali that have had much higher standards for a similar price
If management wants to know what to do to improve things they should just walk next door to Saren Indah and book a room for the night and take a note of the facilities, cleanliness and service and apply what they have learnt to Garden View Cottage.
I could not recommend staying here, spend a little bit more and stay next door at Saren Indah.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, ask for one of the cottages.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Clean room, hot and cold water, Wi-Fi, small pool area, huge balcony, and good location in a peaceful area just outside Monkey Forest. You get to see the monkeys every day on your 10 min walk (or 2 min scooter drive) to Ubud! Squeaky fans, and rooms could need some more noise isolation, bring earplugs. We had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Northern ID
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Positives:
Friendly staff
Good wifi
Clean bedding

That's it. Rooms were run down looking, mis-matched furniture, seemed stripped like they'd taken things out to furnish another room. We were kept up late by next door guest using skype. Could hear EVERY word she said...
Bathtub looked great but hot water didn't work. We complained immeadiately and repeatedly and on the morning after my 4th night, right before shock out I got my first hot shower. At one point the water was black...and not hot!
Pool looked clean but uninviting. The place is a little sad. Given that you can rent private villas for equivalent price...I can't recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Garden View Cottage? Share your experiences!