Sama's Cottages is a nice hotel overall, but its' territory is located on a pretty steep slope and the cottages are located on several levels, and we wouldn't recommend the lowest one! We stayed in a cottage on the lowest level for 10 days, and we felt like we paid too much for the quality we got and left earlier than planned. Below are detailed pros and cons, based on our experience.
- good location! Jalan Bisma is a small, quite, but central street.
- swimming pool (but if you plan to go out during the day, the pool will be of NO use - it is chilly during evenings in Ubud)
- lush vegetation on the hotel grounds
- convenient parking in front of the hotel entrance for you motor bike (you can leave your helmets on the reception too)
- great breakfasts with good choice, hot water always available in a thermos
- clean fresh linens
- Our cottage had a queen size bed and an extra small bed (although they knew it was only 2 of us), which left no free space in the room. We asked to take the small bed out, and after half-an hour our room was free of the extra bed, which revealed really DIRTY walls...
- There was significant LACK OF LIGHT in the room and in the bathroom. We even asked for an extra lamp or smth, but they said there is nothing they could do.
- We had large ants in our bathroom every day...
- Across a strip of forest from the cottage there is another street with a restaurant which has weekly concerts. Every Thursday (as I remember) they had REALLY LOUD music during the night, we almost couldn't sleep (thought we are extremely tolerant of loud noise like roosters, btw roosters are there to wake you up every morning :)).
- The hotel stuff is overall nice, cheerful and young. However one thing that really annoyed us by the end, was that they asked us every day, or even several times a day- "Do you have plans for tomorrow/today?". It's nice they can arrange tours, but I think people are capable of asking themselves when they need help with tours. Mind that usually WHEN YOU BOOK TOURS THROUGH HOTEL YOU PAY MORE! It's much better to buy a Singapore sim-card and contact all tour companies yourself - you can even bargain with some :)
Overall, we wouldn't recommend staying in this hotel if you don't need the swimming pool (there are better cheaper options without a pool in Ubud). We believe the hotel will be great for families with smaller kids, who have to spend quite some time in the hotel during the day.
But we definitely don't recommend the lower level cottages to anyone.
- Also Known As:
- Sama`s Cottages Hotel Ubud
- Sama`s Cottages Hotel
- Sama's Cottages Ubud, Bali
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sama's Cottages is a peaceful and relaxing retreat in Ubud, yet is located just a 5 minute stroll from the centre of town. Our property has just 10 individual cottages, and all are newly renovated to make your stay more comfortable. You can choose either a fan cooled or air conditioned cottage. Our staff bring your breakfast to your veranda each morning, or alternatively you may eat by our lovely pool if you wish. All room rates include breakfast and free WiFi, and are subject to 10 per cent Government Tax and 5 per cent Service Fee. ... more less