“Very disappointing.” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Melayang, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #51 of 126 Hotels in Ubud
“Very disappointing.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I chose to stay at this resort because of the great reviews I read from people who previously stayed here. Tanah Merah is very far away. It costs 450000 rupiah to get a cab from the airport, not including tip which all the drivers expect. To Ubud center hotels it costs will be approximately 250000. The first thing I will complain about is the noisy roosters!! They begin to scream at 2 am and they do not stop. You are surrounded by screaming roosters. If you are a light sleeper or if you come to this resort to rest an relax, you will have a very hard time doing that. There was a lot of smelly garbage dumped by the studio rooms and there was a foul smell as you entered your room. When people would clean your room they would open your windows wide open and leave them like that all day if you are not home to close them. We arrived back to our studio room with bugs everywhere and a geckos crawling up our walls. The shower worked terrible, little dribbles of water and it took 10 minuets to get the hot water to work. After my second day in bali I went on a tour and part of it was to the monkey forest. While I was there a monkey jumped on me and bit my arm. I was very concerned about herpes b, rabies and other diseases the monkeys may carry so I decided to fly out of bali early. I showed the workers my wound and told them about what happened and how I will be checking out after two nights instead of five because of what happened and they told me they had to charge me for 5 nights. I didn't put up a fight but I was really upset because my vacation was ruined and I was hoping they would cut me a deal considering what happened but they didnt. The next day the owner was sitting at the desk when I went to check out and the first thing he said to us was " I told you not to go near the monkeys in the forest!". I never met the owner, nor did he have this conversation with us! He was sitting waiting for me to check out because he expected I would put up a fuss about paying for 5 nights but I didnt. I corrected him about talking to us and he said but if I did see you I would of told you not to go to the forest. I told him the story and I was hoping he would show sympathy for me or cut me a deal but he didn't offer. I paid my balance 775$ and I left. I didn't expect to only pay for 2 nights but I was hoping that I would be offered a discount considering what happened. I was very disappointed with the service I experienced at Tanah Merah. Even if this didn't happen I would not recommend this resort to anyone. There are way better resorts in Ubud, don't waste your money.

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Indonesian first
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Very good place to saty if you want peace and quiet, good accomodation and a restful atmosphere. Good sized villa, excellent pool with a stunning view and good breakfast. This can be served in your room. Great scenery around the resort and the owners amazing gallery is well worth a look! It is a way out of Ubud centre- about 15 minutes but for us it was worth it.
There were noises at night but to be expected in the location.

Room Tip: Excellent quality whatever you chose!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights from 5th-8th July 13' .It was a very tranquil setting, beautiful scenery, quiet, it felt like it was just myself and my partner in the rainforest.
We stayed in studio 1 which had 2 huge four poster beds, the room was enormous with a nice lounge area, the bathroom was very spacious and the private front courtyard with outdoor table setting was beautiful.I was worried about mosquito's because of the Forrest surroundings and open area but we had no problems at all, a mosquito coil was lit near the entrance to our room every night and we didn't see even one mozzie.
A little advise -there is a light switch for the front courtyard lights to turn them out at night, it's tucked away on the right near the entrance gate, our first night we couldn't find the switch & thought the lights must just stay on for the hotel, so we didn't get any sleep because it was so bright.Once we found the switch the next day and turned them all off it was fine.
The breakfast menu was extensive and really nice.The highlight was the meal in the restaurant at night, a lot of people must have had room service because we were alone first 2 nights in the restaurant but it was great, the staff were excellent and eager to please.
We were told that the menu in the restaurant was better than the room service one and this was true, it's definately better to eat in the restaurant.
Our favourite was the Bali Beef, it is honestly the most tender, flavoursome meat we have ever eaten.The other must have is the Butterfish, amazing!
The food is such good value for money, I can't imagine what it would cost in a restaurant here in Australia for food as first class as that at the Tanah Merah.
The scenery at the bottom of the resort is amazing, the waterfall and lush green rainforest was beautiful, the stairs all the way back up are a bit of a mission though, not for the very unfit, however you do feel a sense of accomplishment once you do get back up to the top.
We had Wayan take us on a tour of some of the sights, the Satria Kopi Luwak farm was my favourite, the Temples were also great to see.
Wayan was a great guide, very friendly and knowledgeable, we had a great time and learned a lot.
The resort staff were all very helpful and friendly, the resort was very nice and overall we had a great time and would recommend Tanah Merah.

• Stayed July 2013
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Its an excellent property away from the main Ubud city- nearly 3 kms drive from there, on the top of a hill, pool overlooking the hill top into the valley. The drive to the hotel from Ubud is beautiful with Paddy fields on both sides of the road and lot of greenery is there all around.
Property itself is excellent, very well maintained. Staff is very well trained and rooms are very clean. Rooms are beautiful. We had a very romantic 2 night stay there.
Rooms are equipped with a double bath tub and a jacuzzi also.
Our room was near the swimming pool and on the hill- we enjoyed a beautiful view from there.
It also has a large museum inside the resort- Hotel owner gave us a nice tour of the museum for 3 hours.
Caution: there is lot of art work done on the walls- of their ancient Gods and some of those look really scary.
There is noise of wild bugs at night. don't get scared.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed two nights at the tanah merah and it was really enjoyable. The hotel is beautiful and very big. We stayed in one of the cottages right in front of the infinity pool, and it was a bit of a walk to get to the restaurant and reception, but its fine because the restaurant where we had breakfast was simply breathtaking facing the forect valley, amazing views.

The room was nice, very dark wooden cottage and the visibility inside wasnt great. We did ask for an extra lamp and they gave us which improved things a bit but still a bit dark. We did have a hot tub in the bathroom though, which kind of made up for it. The breakfast was very nice and plentiful and the swimming pool was also nice.

The downside of this place is the distance to the center of ubud. If you're looking to stay close to the action that is not a good choice as its a 15-20min cab ride into up and down roads and costs around 50-70 thousand Rupees to get there.. the surrounding of the hotel is very nice though.

Room Tip: The cottages are very dark inside and because they are made of wood there are small gaps where insec...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in tanah merah for one night( could not stay more). The hotel is not in Ubud, but in the village north far away. It has tons of mosquitos, but the most frustrating part are the parrots. They look nice, but the noise they make in the morning is just inbearable. The village is just off the fence so you also have cocks in the morning. Don't go there

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

It is my second time in Tanah Merah Resort and I would not recommend any other hotel to stay in. It is located in a beautiful location by the waterfall with a swimming pool overlooking jungle. Stuff at the hotel is helpful and quick, which is very rare in Bali. In addition, Tanah Merah is not only a resort but a gallery and if you want to get familiar with local art it has one of the best paintings and crafts to offer for viewing. If you are looking for a place to relax and find piece, Tanah Merah is an ideal spot!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Tanah Merah Resort & Gallery? Share your experiences!