“A disappointing experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ketut's Place

You added Ketut's Place to your Saves list
Ketut's Place
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Sweta No. 40 Sambahan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #71 of 134 Hotels in Ubud
Connecticut
“A disappointing experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

My mother and I just stayed at Ketut's Place based on a recommendation from a friend. I did not look at trip advisor as I would usually do, as my friend said they loved it there. Unfortunately I should have read and heeded the advice of the recent travelers there. I am a positive person and I don't like giving negative reviews, especially since the people of Ketut's place were very nice, but this was our experience.

I booked the room through email and left a deposit through Pay Pal. I asked for airport transportation and Ketut said that he would have someone there at the airport waiting for us. Our plane was running slightly late but when we walked outside the airport there was no transport waiting for us. I looked around for a while and finally called Ketut's Place to ask if they were coming. The son answered the phone and couldn't find my reservation. I had to call back after he called his father to make sure we had a reservation. The reservation was finally found and I was asked if I still wanted someone to pick us up. I asked how long it would take and he replied 30 minutes, so I said okay. Over an hour later a driver comes to pick us up. Then it was over an hour drive to the guesthouse. We had been waiting so long and before that were traveling all day to get to Bali; we just wanted a clean comfortable room to rest in. We found the room to be very damp with much dust and dead insects along the floor and on the furnishings. The bathroom (outside the room) had many ants on the toilet and around the toilet, and there was an ant infestation on the stairs as we walked up to our room. When we asked Ketut about it, he said, "No problem...just sprinkle some water on them and they will go away." My mom was not satisfied with this response and insisted that he get someone to use insect spray. Ketut's son helped us out and cleared away the ants (even he was very surprised about how many there were).

The rooms were full of character and had beautiful carved wooden doors and lovely artwork inside. However, the whole room was extremely damp and smelled of mildew and musty odors. The curtains looked very worn and had mildew and mold on them. Our towels were very damp and smelled of mildew and perspiration. The towels were also ripped and had stains on them. We stayed in that room for two nights (they did not come in to clean to room in between the 2 nights) and then in a deluxe airconditioned room for one night. The deluxe room was much bigger and nicer but everything was still very damp until we left the a/c running for a while. Even then the bedding still smelled of mildew, but thankfully the towels did not.

We also booked a city tour through Ketut, and he told us of all the temples we would see and all these other wonderful places. It sounded great! In reality we probably saw half of what he described, though our guide was very nice and explained things well.

The morning we had to leave, we needed to be at the airport for 9am. Ketut said we needed to leave at 7:30am and that he could arrange airport transportation but it would be 300,000 IDR instead of the usual 250,000. He said that this was because it was an early morning airport dropoff, that it cost more to have someone get up early and drive us. This didn't make sense to me but we agreed to it. Ketut said that we could have breakfast at 7am because we had to leave at 7:30, but the kitchen was dark when I came down with the luggage at 6:50. No one was around to make breakfast (usually they start serving at 7:30, but no one was even around then). Finally Ketut's wife got someone to make our breakfast and serve it to us at 7:45. Upon checkout, Ketut charged me an extra 3% for using my credit card and forgot about the deposit I had made through PayPal. Even after I reminded him about the deposit he didn't deduct the correct amount from my bill. I was in a hurry so I signed the receipt quickly without asking for an itemization. I thought the bill seemed high, so I asked him to write out the charges. He charged more than was listed on the menu for the food items, and what I had signed for turned out to be more than what was itemized. I asked him to just use the extra amount for tips for his staff, but I don't know that this will actually happen.

Overall I felt that Ketut and his family and staff were very nice but Ketut was defintely rather scatterbrained. Also the dampness, the tattered curtains and towels, and lack of cleanliness in some areas made for an uncomfortable stay. I was disappointed after the glowing recommenation from my friend. Unfortunately I would not recommend this guesthouse to others.

• Stayed August 2010

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

I checked out of this hotel before I even checked in. I had arrived early and decided to eat at the restaurant and have an early lunch. I moved from the first table I sat at because it was filthy. i then realised that the next table was no better and finally sat at a third table that was still unclean but the best there was. The food when it arrived was not good at all and I felt slightly sick afterwards. I felt even more sick when I saw the caged squirrel proudly displayed near the reception area. The poor thing was desperately trying to get out. Horrified at seeing this I spoke to the owner and his wife who seemed amused by the fact and tried to tell me the squirrel was actually happy. I was so disgusted that I left and found another hotel. Just because animal cruelty is more prevalent in certain parts of the worl it doesn't mean we have to condone it. The whole place gave me the creeps and I was glad to get out of there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Rome
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

We stayed in a deluxe room for three nights. the room (no. 13) was two floors below the pool, was quite large but it lacked enough natural and artificial light and was very very humid, the smell also was not pleasant. Hotel location: it is not that convenient as you have to walk 10 min. to get to centre town along a deserted street. you would do much better if you choose a hotel in town or far from it but with a hotel shuttle service. breakfast was very poor: you have to choose only one item and the quantity of each is clearly insuffucient (i.e. one slice of toasted bread or one slim pancake). considering how LITTLE food and fuits cost locally is not clearly in line with what you pay for it. another thing to avoid is the balinese buffet: it is clearly overpriced and the quantity and quality are not up to what you would get in a restaurant in Ubud. finally do not ask Ketut (the owner) to organize your tour or transportation back to the airport: the tour was expensive and the driver had us stop at a farm where they grow coffee and other products just to make us buy extremely overpriced products: we had chosen a private driver in order to avoid such touristic scams but with Ketut's organized tour this was not the case. we also booked a taxi when we left Ubud. We found orselves on an old car with no air conditioning for more than an hour with unbearable heat. Certainly Ketut made a very good deal for himself hiring such a wreck. all in all I would not reccomend this palce as Ketut could do a much better job if his main drive was not trying to squeeze as much money as possible from tourists.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
AZ USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

I go to Ubud every yr. & heard of this hotel. Room was dark & bathroom not pleasant/clean/ old. Went to their weekly dinner advertised. The food portions were small and all seven of us had to limit the food we took so that all could get a portion. Food not refilled and left hungray. Owner wanted to sell water for twice at what you could buy at the store. Had to call two times to get breakfast delivered even though I gave a time the night before.. There are too many really good places in Ubud to put up with poor service and left after one night.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

I arrived at Ketut's had booked and paid for a twin deluxe room. Got the deluxe room but my teenage son got the bed becuase the twin matterss they supplied was too short for him, I slept on the floor.

There was no privacy at all, Ketut kept coming into the rooms at the most inappropriate times, he provided incorrect advice ( I speak Bahasa he didn't know this at first)

the bathroom stank, and black soil came out of the shower head,

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Manly
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

Yes,its bungalows are ina lovely quiet tropical forest an are cool and shadowy.For those ina standard room at least,after a couple of days these rooms become claustrophobic and oppressive.One could scarcely read at night in bed.The bathroom stank like a public urinal.Our room was cleaned when they felt like it ie four out of seven days.Breakfast is OK.Do not eat dinner there,our nasi campur was the worst meal we have had anywherein the world.
His big feast is a bit of a con...the touted 13 or 14 "courses" include as courses intheir own right a dollop of white rice,a prawn cracker,some pieces of orange...you get the idea.Poor value at 135000R.
Ketut himself is a very smart entrepreneur,enough said for the moment on that.He will be on at you to go to his feast,his kecak dance,use his overpriced "taxi service' etc.The walk to the centre is 10 to 15 minutes on dangerous often blocked pavement,unlit,and involves confronting numerous yappy scabrous dogs...someone died of rabies in adjoining Tabanan when we were there.Our bill was much higher than expected because he charged for another day when we naively thought he was kindly offering to let us leave our bags there for seven hours after checkout .On top of that he hit us up 3 percent on everything for using a credit card and converted his $US figure into rupiahs at a rate far more favourable to him than any money changer would givehim.
Finally,hot water was missing in the morning and the bamboo bed frames were so rotten they were in danger of imminent collapse.
I left feeling I hadd been done over like a dinner.Lonely Planet must be out of their mind.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

We have stayed, I think four or five time at Ketut's Place and loved every minute. It's so wonderful to stay with a family in a place they have so tenderly, carefully and artistically developed over the years. The animals, birds, frogs and all the paraphenalia of Balinese culture are thrown in. A nice walk uphill from the centre of town, you are in Ubud but apart from the hustle and bustle. Sure, nowhere is perfect, but for a real Balinese family experience with unfailingly helpful and kind hosts this is the place. We will be back again soon...

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ketut's Place? Share your experiences!