“Wonderful week of healing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ubud Sari Health Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ubud
Ubud Sari Health Resort
You added Ubud Sari Health Resort to your Saves list
Kajeng st #35, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #82 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
Gold Coast, Australia
“Wonderful week of healing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

I really enjoyed and needed this great week at Ubud Sari. I did the "Healing Week" and was suprised at how you could cope with the fasting with the fantastic juices.

Thanks to the other reviews I was prepared about the "counsellor" not being a health professional and I was lucky enough to get a "Zen" cottage. It was beautiful, quiet and very relaxing. The staff were very supportive and helpful and changing anything on the program was easy, you just have to ask.

I can understand people being disappointed if they don't get the Zen Villa ( I would be) and one of the other guests' rooms did get bed bugs, however they were immediately moved and the rooms treated. It does seem to be a recurring comment. I didn't have them.
The massages did have different levels of skill and different techniques. I loved the deep tissue and the detox wrap so I just asked to change. The staff were great.

Make sure you bring good walking and hiking shoes (especially if you are going to attempt the volcano hike). They will get muddy!

I had a great time, really needed the time out, but you can hit the shops/markets which are within walking distance.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Mssunshine12
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

We stayed in the Ubud Sari Health Resort as part of a birthday celebration and partly to escape the madness of our earlier destination : Kuta.

My boyfriend and myself booked a Zen Cottage for 3 nights and were so looking forward to a relaxing oasis for much needed rejuvenation and deep cleansing.

When we arrived, we were met by a friendly receptionist and were presented with a 'welcoming drink'. How nice I thought!

The place, however, did not disappoint. Almost immediately, the surroundings, beautiful greenery and chilled ambience had a soothing effect.

Our zen cottage was just a little haven. A two-storey affair with an upstairs bedroom surrounded by open windows with views of trees, blue skies and raw nature. We enjoyed nothing more than to simply lie on our comfortable bed just looking out the windows and listening the delightful sounds of the waterfalls outside.

The cottage was just charming and everynight, the staff would come in to light incense before preparing your space for sleeping i.e. shutting windows, plugging in anti-mosquitoes devices etc. Was such a sweet touch.

The treatments and the staff were wonderful and I couldn't praise them enough for their care and attention.

I would say, however, that the restaurant is slightly over-priced and you would probably be better off going down the road to a few of the cheaper options which have a wider choice in menu.

Overall, I am only sad that I didn't stay longer and I would defintely come back!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Norfolk Virginia USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Had just two nights in Ubud and ended up here per a favorable review. The regular rooms are perched over shallow coy ponds and many (mine) backed up to a rushing narrow stream which is nice for sleeping except it allows the MANY mosquitoes to come in your room. Of course they had very nice mosquito nets that were in good repair but a combination of keeping the AC inside and keeping the bugs out forced the decision of keeping the sliding doors closed. The experience would have been better had the staff been able to speak better English but they were most gracious and helpful nonetheless. The only complain about the room is that all the glass needed a really thorough cleaning and the bedspread was musty which was more a function of the environment than necessarily their housekeeping. This is more of a rustic experience but the AC made it quite tolerable. Be sure to take advantage of the yoga classes and the meditation classes, not to mention all their cleansing and healing programs. The nicest part is that this place was just slightly off the beaten path but almost right in the middle of everything at the same time. The breakfast included in room rate was nice and very well presented but not great if you have a hearty appetite. They have other menu choices (hot items like omelets) at breakfast for additional charge.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Lugano, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Ubud was part of a trip in Indonesia (Sulawesi, Bali, Lombok and Java).
I'm a bit surprised to read bitter and negative comments about this place. First of all don't forget we are in Asia and are not paying for the Four Seasons's service.
The location is superb (quite central but silent), never had such good sleep in Asia (it was my third time in Ubud); breakfast is light fresh (yummi juices) and delicious. The staff is amazing: they do everything possible to make you happy always with a smile. The laundry service is more than excellent and on a fair price. Our room was not in the zen villa section (we had the cheapest accomodation riverside) but was kept clean every day with fresh towels and we had load of space (I strongly recommend room #15) with a perfect silent air conditioning system (another important thing in Asia: it is not nice when you have to put ear plugs not to hear the noise of the air conditioning ).
Our best friends were in the zen villas and they were very happy about the room and the service too.
If I'll go back to Bali once again (why not) I will visit Ubud Sari Health Resort for sure and maybe consider even the week programs they have.

Go for it.

Lela

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

I have been here twice, the second time making a special trip from Kuta to spend my last days in Bali relaxing there. I did the Healing Week which left me feeling not only amazingly buoyant at the end, but totally in touch with my body and mind with a whole new perspective on living. And I am not one of those new age people either.

The staff is extremely courteous starting from the pick-up from Denpasar to the fragipani blossom tucked behind your ear and a refreshing fruit/veggie drink while your room is being arranged and your luggage carried there.

I love how they blend nature into the surroundings from the plants overhanging the pathways, to the continuous flow of water beneath your feet and even your bungalow. The whole experience is relaxing and soothing and this is before you've even had your first massage.

You have your own personal attendant if you do the health programs who can take you all over the island and act as an intermediary if you have any concerns or difficulties. They help outline your program for the day as well as act as a personal waiter in the restaurant.

Its location on Jalan Kajeng is very convenient to the Monkey Forest, the bazaars, rice fields, the gamelan performances (which are almost completely covered by the lush surrounds and sounds of flowing water), restaurants, and other tourist attractions. My profile picture was taken on a walk from Ubud Sari. This is only a small part of how beautiful the place is.

I highly recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a relaxing, healthy, romantic getaway.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

My sister and I did the "mind body spirit "6 day healing and we both thought it was excellent value for money you get just about everything the 7 day detox offers but for a better price so we would recommend it highly!!! As far as the picky comments about the condition of the place please don't let that stop you from going ......all i can say is they don't profess to be a 5 star resort (they don't charge those kind of prices) and i would call it rustic and charming and it was not dirty at all ....our rooms were not in the zen villa section and were kept beautifully clean every day with fresh towels we visited the zen villas and they were clean too.
If you go there for a detox it is better value than any where in Australia and remember it's Bali and very tropical, hot and humid..... so there is a lot of moss on things and things naturally smell of mildew, but all we saw were very industrious people busy everyday cleaning the pool keeping the gorgeous gardens tidy! The best thing about the place is the Balinese people so accommodating ....we wanted to change some of our included treatments.......we're not into reiki or cranial reading.......too spiritistic for us.... there was not a problem swapped it for other things and then we deciced to cancel our 2 extra nights accommodation to go to Kuta (for shopping) No problem and they took us free of charge to our next hotel
I will say if you a light sleeper don't get room 18 it's right near the waterfall and could bother some.
We loved all the treatments and massages and never felt more relaxed especially after the deep tissue massage it is a must!!! we swapped it instead of reiki and that treatment was by far the best!!!!
Don't expect a health consultation as such..like it says in the inclusions.... because they have a team leader to see you and explain a few things ( they are hard to understand) and that is all it is.
I say if you are looking for a detox and pampering for a reasonable price Ubud Sari Resort is the best place ever!!!! A detox every year like they offer could save your life and
I hope I can go back next year!!!!! Just go!!!

• Stayed May 2010
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

After having stayed trice at the resort and after having taken part twice in one of the all-inclusive health programmes (healing week and total detox) I would like to provide fellow travelers with a comprehensive feedback on the place:

Let's start with the positive side of things: The resort is a great place beautifully located at a small stream and forest and not far from the rice fields in the upper part of town. The resort is relatively small but the nice garden and tropical environment make up for this. The staff is extremely friendly and make you fell very welcome. The resort's signature treatment is colon therapy (colonic irrigation) and this treatment together with fasting (fresh organic fruit juice only) can make a new person out of you in a week. The total detox is supported by private craniosacral/Reiki sessions given by Paula (very good, she is a healer!) and various massages and spa treatments such as massages, warm stone, scrubs, deep tissue, facials, etc. Many guests return once a year or so for the so-called “healing week” programme and for some this has been life changing.

However, certain things could be improved and this review shall be seen as an encouragement for other guests – who may feel the same – to convey feedback to the Owner (Nomad) and management (headed by his daughter Ms Nonik) in order to improve on a place which has much more potential.

First of all it needs to be mentioned that overall cleanliness could be improved. Various areas of the spa could need a good scrub and also need upgrading/modernization. The steam sauna is in a deplorable state and also the male showers need regular cleaning. The rooms are quite different from each other and if you are not lucky enough to get one of the ZEN villas you may end up in the lower part of the resort and feel that you are somewhat overcharged for what you get. Sometimes it also appears that the owner abuses the ZEN theme of the resort as an excuse for absolutely minimalist and cheap fittings in the rooms. Other places in Ubud offer much more for less cash! On top – and this is the worst finding of my last stay – there were bed bugs/fleas in our bed and we went home with very itchy bites all over. This totally unacceptable. In addition, the bathroom of the colonic treatment room was dirty. Both the toilet and the hand wash basin hadn't seen a clean for a long time even though this room should be particularly clean and be disinfected daily!

Part of my programme were also daily raw food cooking classes but the recipes were quite simple and the ingredients were always the same for all dishes. For a USD 2,500 package (2 weeks inducing all treatments and room) one would expect more from such classes.

Massage: the skills of the massage therapists vary greatly - some are well trained but many aren't, leaving you with a sore neck and more tensions afterwards!

Overall feedback: 3 out of 5, nice place and great heath packages but the owner – who is a very well situated business man – should invest in upgrading of the facilities and the resort management should pay special attention to cleanliness and quality control.

I will carefully check other guest reviews and based on this decide if I will visit the place again in future.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ubud Sari Health Resort? Share your experiences!