“Downtown but quiet and relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Barong Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Spa   |   Jl. Monkey Forest, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #66 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Downtown but quiet and relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Perfect location, near restaurants and the Monkey Forest. I really enjoyed the hotel, its structure and service. It is a Villa house only for you, you can have breakfast (incredibly delicious and large) in the varanda/garden, use the Spa (good fees) and just relax in the swimming pool after walking around the city. I had to leave early for the airport and they prepared me a take away breakfast beaufully. Very good price for everything that it offers.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Villa house, I guess that they only have this option at the Hotel. It is a small hotel...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Indonesian first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I had stayed there each and every time we traveled to Bali. This Nov was our 8th trip to Bali and we had no qualms about coming back to Barong to stay. The Manager, Mr Agung, and the staff were always very friendly and helpful. The resort is very private and at the same time located at the famous Jl. Monkey Forest.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I think the main issue was that the price wasn't comparable to the stay, particularly what you become accustomed to in places like Bali. That, and I had a bit of an issue with the taxi booking system which almost marred the whole stay.

But I'll start with what I liked:

Having our own tucked away villa with our own secret garden was a wonderful experience and although the food at breakfast wasn't going to win any awards, it was substantial and the experience of being able to enjoy it in said secret garden was a nice touch.

The bed was large, comfortable and in general my sleep went undisturbed which was great considering the resort's central location.

The foyer and the gardens are an impressive sight. The pool was cool and welcoming and I partook in a massage and treatment at a the spa which I thoroughly enjoyed.

All of this didn't match the almost $300 per night price tag.

On to my major complaint. I booked a taxi to take me to a wedding in Kuta. I was told by the receptionist it would take 10 minutes as the traffic was bad, I was a little disillusioned having walked the streets of Ubud being harassed every ten seconds by offers of a taxi, but nonetheless I wore it. Twenty minutes had passed and still no taxi. Eventually after 30 minutes the taxi came and I was late for the wedding. It was obvious there were more taxi options but the receptionist obviously wanted to ensure the hotel's driver/ his mate was utilised which normally wouldn't bother me but by not using any taxi driver meant I was late for someone's wedding. Not cool.

Anyhow, I got over it and learned from my mistake and, having encountered DPS airport just two weeks earlier, ensured a taxi was booked for 7pm so as to not end up late for my flight.

7pm came and went and no taxi. Enquired at the front desk and it was apparent the booking had not been made and a taxi was called and we wee told it would take 20 minutes. What? At this point I didn't retain my cool and I admit could have been considered borderline rude to the receptionist and for that I apologise but having missed the start of my brother-in-law's wedding just two day's before I wasn't acting rationally.

So armed with our baggage I stormed out of the hotel and found a taxi in less than 10 seconds. There was one at the end of the drive way adjoining the hotel because it's Bali and the percentage of taxi drivers runs at about 50% of the population so I couldn't understand why we would have to utilise the one driver contracted to the hotel, particularly if it meant missing flights and/or weddings.

Sorry for acting like a knob in the foyer but come on!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Wahhhhoooooooo!!
Fabulous room...
Enormous bathroom....
Staff can't do enough to please you...
Good breakfast...
Very very impressed....
Ubud is a bit too much for us...
But you enter this hotel/resort and Peeeaacccceee...
So nice and quiet....
Highly recommended. ..

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2014

Tucked away on the hustle and bustle of Monkey Forest Road, the Barong Resort and Spa is an excellent choice to stay in Ubud. The large open air lobby with surrounding ponds has a quaint little dining area where we enjoyed breakfast every morning. They offer a good variety at breakfast, ranging from Indonesian to eggs cooked any style. Our room was incredible, we stayed in Room 2, which was the top floor of a villa. A big 4 post bed with a comfortable oversized king mattress, ample lighting, and an amazing air con unit kept the room cool. Our bathroom was just as nice, with plenty of shelves for our clothes, a big vanity, and a nice garden tub. Wifi worked well. The staff were excellent, the location was great, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room number 2 was awesome.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

If you are looking for a quiet retreat in the middle of Ubud this could be the perfect place. Halfway between the Ubud Markets and the Monkey Forrest, the resort is surrounded by shops and restaurants. Inside is a tranquil retreat from the bustle of the village, with beautiful manicured gardens with birdsong and the sound of fountains.

Our very private bungalow was totally charming, with one large room with a king-sized, canopied bed and a large window seat. The Balinese style bathroom was enormous, with copious hot water. We ate delicious breakfasts, delivered within ten minutes of ordering, on our patio, while we watched birds in the foliage.

Some of the larger villas have private swimming pools, but we were more than happy with the 9o
lovely shared pool set in a garden with frangipani blossom and flowering creepers.

The staff was unfailingly helpful and we enjoyed their ever-ready spontaneous greetings and smiles as well as several conversations when they shared information about their customs and lives.

There were many unexpected extras at this resort. These include d refreshing cool towels and cold drinks when we arrived, fresh flowers in both rooms, bowls of fresh fruit and little jars of sweet treats that appeared every evening.

My only regret is that we stayed only one week instead of two.

The staff were helpful and friendly at all times. We loved their attentiveness and willingness to share a little of their Balinese lives and customs and their ever ready spontaneous smiles.

There were many little, unexpected extras. These included cool scented towels and a cold drink on arrival, beautiful fresh flowers in both rooms and little jars of sweet treats every evening.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2014

Me and my partner stayed here for 4 nights during our stay in Ubud. We absolutely loved it!! The location is amazing for being in central Ubud to really experience the hustle and bustle and literally right next to Monkey Forest and all the amazing restaurants and bars, but at the same time as soon as you walk through the resort it gives you that peaceful feeling of tranquility. You feel like you could be in the middle of a jungle with the peaceful sound of the water fountain from the pool and all the lush foliage the resort boasts.

The resort and rooms are at an incredibly high standard and are very very clean. We had dinner here on the night we arrived and we had breakfast every morning and the food is beautiful and at a high matching standard to the rest of the resort.

The staff are so so friendly and welcoming and immediately make you feel as if you are part of their family. We would always have a chat with them about our day and they were really accommodating in terms of the area too. They include local tours and walks plus bicycle hire all for free which we made full use of!

I have to give a massive shout out to a particular guy called Made who works there, he was exceptionally welcoming and was awesome! He took us for a walk around the local paddy fields and gave us some history of the area and gave us more of an insight in their culture and he was just so friendly and lovely to have a chat with.

I would absolutely love to stay here again next time i visit Ubud and I could not recommend it enough to other people heading out this way.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Barong Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!