“Peaceful stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 126 Hotels in Ubud
Coolangatta, Australia
“Peaceful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the Nyepi holiday which involves a day of total shut-down for Bali, including all transport. We thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to watch the pre new year parade with all the ugly ogah ogah's in the nearby village. Our room was spacious and comfortable and very quiet. Only inconvenience I would mention is a very slow if non existent Internet from the rooms. A little better in the lobby. Overall we were happy although it may be a little far out for those looking for more activities and/or entertainment from their holiday. Great 'away from it all' venue for a short stay.

Room Tip: Upstairs villa room offered a peaceful view and a semi outdoor bathroom. Spacious with an outdoor ba...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My partner and I really enjoyed our stay in this hotel. The staff was really friendly and it was obvious that they wanted us to have a lovely stay. Thanks to everyone again! The hotel is not in Ubud centre, it is located 10-15 minutes from Ubud but we regarded that as a real advantage. There is a free pick up and drop off service to Ubud and back to the hotel (until 10.30pm), you only have to call the reception. We never waited more than 15 minutes in the city. The drivers were also very friendly. The hotel was surrounded by rice fields and far from the agitation of the city. Unfortunately not all the rice fiels were green as it was the harvest time. The two swimming pools were very nice and the garden was perfectly maintained. There were lots of beautiful flowers and butterflies. However the buildings are a bit old and would need a good clean/painting. Our room was great (I think we were upgraded in a deluxe room...), the bed was huge and comfortable. But the cupboards were not really clean so if you are after a spotless room it can be disappointing. We didn't really mind because there were lots of kind thoughts (nice flowers on the bed every morning). Breakfast menu was good (tea or coffee with fresh juice or fruit platter and your choice of toats, muesli, pancakes - there were delicious- french toasts, fried, scrambled or boiled eggs, nasi goreng...). Even if there is less variety than a buffet breakfast, you won't be disappointed. Be just careful with the tours offered by the hotel as you have to pay extra costs for the activities (temples, dance) and it's not really clear on the flyer. On the whole we had a good time and enjoyed the staff's friendliness

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This authentic Balinese resort just outside Ubud, was a very pleasant surprise indeed! It's bordered with rice fields and coconut trees as far as the eye can see. They boast two eco-friendly, infinity-edge pools - one fresh and the other salty. The covered open air restaurant with its lovely view of the rice paddies and the soothing sounds of nature, is a very peaceful setting to enjoy the ample complementary breakfast. The dining room also serves a good menu of both local and international dishes.
They have standard, superior and deluxe rooms, as well as several villas with private plunge pools. The staff are all excellent, especially the manager Wayan, who goes out of his way to accommodate you and to make you feel special and at home.
We ended up staying here for two weeks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We picked this hotel to be close to the marine park, turned out to be a bit far, but still not too bad. The hotel is situated about 15 minutes from Ubud amid rice fields. Its very quiet, the only sound you will ever hear is the sound of the birds singing. The staff is very friendly and professional, allways with a smile and very friendly to us and our kids. The hotel offers a free shuttle to Ubud. Also very clean rooms and a nice pool.

• Stayed February 2013
South West UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I chose this resort for a short break away from the frantic metropolis of Singapore where I work. The reviews seemed to make it the perfect choice and they were right! The Bhanuswari Sap and Resort sits in the middle of nowhere amongst rice fields where you can watch the farmers at work from the rooms as well as the ducks who are kept to maintain the fields.

Don't expect 5 star luxury, it's not that, but I wouldn't describe it as budget or boutique either. As a resort it's very simple, two small pools and a very simple spa offering a variety of traditional Balinese treatments.

I arrived nursing a small sports injury and chose to have the traditional Balinese massage every day of my stay. Following my 2nd massage felt "mended" enough to climb Mount Batur which definitely needed the full use of two legs! The massage was very traditional with good strongly applied pressure and well worth the 150,000rp.

The restaurant provides simple Balinese and "western style" food for an incredibly resaonable price (50,000rp on average for a main course). I ate in the restaurant for the whole of my 3 day stay and found the food perfectly acceptable - although I must recomment the rare tuna "sashimi" salad - that was amazing!

My room was comfortable apart from the very tiny air conditioning unit which although set at 16 degrees didn't manage to achieve much beyond 25 degrees during the day, most probably due to the significant gaps in the doors. My roommate was a lizard which showed itself the first day but made its presence known by leaving its droppings around - then again, it was almost certainly the reason why there were virtually no flying insects (mosquitos) to be seen. I did make use of the mosquito net over the bed - more because I didn't fancy waking up next to the lizard or any large crawling insects than for protection against the mosquitos.

That said, the towels and bedlinen provided were immaculately clean and the room was made up immaculately every day.

Additionally, the resort offers free transport to and from the airport and Ubud which is a 15-20 minute drive away. I was however charged for my drop off at the airport which was fair enough since I needed to leave at 4am and at 250,000rp was reasonable enough. I also went to use the moneychanger in Ubud and the driver was kind enough to deliver me to a good moneychanger, wait for me and then drive me back immediately since I didn't want to go to the town.

All in all, if you're looking for a Bali away from the bars and nightlife of Kuta or to generally be away from everywhere, this is the place for you - be warned, it is literally in the middle of nowhere but I returned feeling more relaxed than I've been for a long time!

Room Tip: The standard rooms are fine - I had room 114 which was upstairs and had stunning views across the ri...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Bhanuswari is a magical, restorative sanctuary! My husband and I spent 5 nights here and loved every last second of it.

The room was beautiful, with a large comfortable bed, high ceilings and terrific bathroom. The staff were some of the most gracious and helpful people I have ever come across. The pools were a dream, especially the salt water one, I could hardly drag my husband out of it! I loved the massages and relaxed on our balcony many mornings and late evenings with a good book surrounded by true Balinese sounds and sights.

I had breakfast every morning (which was complementary in the package I bought) and dinner more than once, despite the lovely food and dynamic restaurants available in Ubud because the food was so good! Cinnamon french toast, cheesy scrambled eggs, fruit platters...

We used the free shuttle into and out of Ubud regularly and also organised other activities through the staff, everything was so easy and pleasant.

The best thing of all was the environment, jungle music and green that calls you to return to the wild, the buildings blending gracefully with the magic all around.

I am loath to utter a single "bad" word about Bhanuswari... however if you are a traveler who is looking for tourist hustle and bustle or pristine sanitized luxury, this is probably not the hotel for you.

We will be planning another trip to Bali, in part to be Bhanuswari bound again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vientiane, Laos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our driver from Sanur had difficulty finding this hotel as it seemed to be in the middle of nowhere, however once we unloaded and settled into our room, we found this place to be so idyllic and peaceful. Swimming in the pools was so picturesque, rice fields, coconut trees, tropical plants and hibiscus flowers scattered on the tables. It was just gorgeous. As we were there in the wet, quiet season, there was hardly anyone else around so we had the pools to ourselves. We also had the staff to ourselves. Whenever we wanted to go into Ubud or surrounding villages, we just had to let them know at the front desk and a driver would appear and take us there. We called them when we wanted to be picked up. All of this was a free service! This compensated for the fact that we weren't within walking distance of Ubud centre. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to take a break from the hustle and bustle of Ubud.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bhanuswari Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!