“Tranquil, luxurious oasis just outside of busy Ubud” 4 of 5 stars

The Ubud Village Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan raya Pengosekan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #26 of 119 hotels in Ubud
Seoul, South Korea
“Tranquil, luxurious oasis just outside of busy Ubud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I and our 16-year-old son just returned from Bali and a delightful 4-night stay at Ubud Village Resort and Spa. ( I've rated it at 4 stars, but I would say it's really 4.5) We had spent the previous 5 days in Amed doing an Open Water Dive Course, and were looking forward to some quiet rest and relaxation after several long days of diving and studying - Ubud Village Resort did not disappoint! The staff were friendly, pleasant, and accommodating of any of our special requests (we had both late check-in and check-out and both ran perfectly smoothly.) The main grounds are immaculately kept and very lovely, overlooking the gorgeous rice fields. The main pool (an infinity pool complete with swim-up bar) was gorgeous and well-maintained. We stayed in a Garden Villa - large and spacious, plenty of room for the 3 of us,and our own plunge pool, which we used quite a bit. Our villa was surprisingly large and included ponds full of Koi and frogs that wrapped around most of the villa, an outdoor soaking tub, two showers (indoor and outdoor,) and an outdoor cabana with mosquito nets as well as a table and chairs for alfresco dining. The surprising thing about the resort is its tranquility - it was fully booked when we were there, but so peaceful and quiet. We never figured out where all the other guests were - never saw more than a few of them at a time! The resort has a main restaurant, a coffee shop, and a pub, which are reasonably priced (especially for a resort.) The breakfast was ok and included several set choices (Continental, American, Florentine,Vegetarian), fresh fruit, juice, coffee or tea, and was served on the 2nd floor of the restaurant overlooking the rice fields. The resort also served afternoon tea from 4-5 each afternoon(coffee/tea, light snacks), which - like the breakfast - was included in the price of the room. We ate several meals in the hotel restaurant, and it was a good choice if you didn't feel like going into Ubud; menu included both local Indonesian menu items and more traditional Western foods (club sandwich, rack of lamb, grilled beef tenderloin.) Our son ordered room service one evening and was also pleased with the service and the quality of the food. The Spa is a real star - gorgeous, peaceful, quiet facility, very serene, and the estheticians/masseuses are very professional and concerned with making your experience as outstanding as possible. I had both a manicure and pedicure (badly needed after 4 days of diving!) and my husband and I had a Couples Massage - both in rooms overlooking the rice fields and accompanied by ginger/lemongrass tea and cake. Again, the spa was fully booked when we were there, but we didn't see anyone else as we came and went. Housekeeping did an excellent job and included evening turn-down service where they came and plugged in the mosquito coils, opened the mosquito nets,closed curtains, etc. As other reviewers have noted, the resort is about a 10-15 minute drive away from the center of Ubud, but there is an hourly shuttle service that runs between the resort and its sister property, the Ubud Village Hotel, which is right in the center of Ubud. We would have liked it better if the shuttle had run a bit more frequently - if you miss one, you have to wait for another hour, take a taxi, or walk. It is possible to walk to or from Ubud in half an hour or so, but the traffic and the lack of sidewalks and/or damaged sidewalk would make it a little iffy after dark. If you are planning on spending the whole day in Ubud, it's not a big deal, but if you just want to run over for a short time, it's a bit more of an undertaking, If you want to be able to walk out your door directly to restaurants and shops and crowds, this is not the resort for you. In our opinion, waiting for a transport, paying for a taxi, or taking a longish walk are reasonable exchanges for the peace and tranquility you receive! The transports were on time, efficient, and convenient , and the drivers will drop you off anywhere you ask along the way (eg, shops or tourist destinations) and also give you directions and recommendations for cafes and restaurants.

Just a few details kept me from giving this resort a 5-star rating: as other reviews have noted, the property is in need of some refurbishment -deck area and furnishings in our villa were tired and stained, some of the blinds in the villa were broken and couldn't be closed.AC is a bit underpowered for the size of the room, and the dim lighting in the villa - while ideal for romance- makes it a bit difficult to find things after dark. The 'swim-up bar' at the main pool - while it looks like a fully functioning bar - actually sends someone to the main restaurant to pick up whatever you order. We waited well over half an hour for two drinks(no one else in the pool area.) Had we realized that the attendant (in retrospect, we realize he was not the bartender) would be walking to the main restaurant, placing the order, waiting for it to be filled, and walking back to the pool, we might have thought twice about ordering drinks. Other tiny details: although the staff knew that we were paying for a 3rd person in the villa (and had made the bed up for him,) there were only 2 beach towels, 2 lounge chairs, 2 coffeecups, and 2 bottles of water provided. This wasn't a huge problem- and one I have no doubt they would have rectified if we had asked -, but it's that sort of attention to detail that - in our opinion - makes the difference between 4 and 5 stars. We also noted that our indoor shower had a large glass window that looked onto an algae-covered cinderblock wall and rocks in a koi pond. Nothing awful, but one expects to see something green if they're going to the trouble to provide a window- it was just water and rocks and a wall, and not the scenic sort, either, although most of the other parts of the indoor/outdoor bathroom were landscaped with water plants/flowers. Wifi in our room was slowish but adequate: however, our villa was as close to the main building as it was possible to get - have no idea what it was like in villas further away. In addition, our Garden Villa (220), while fine for us, would not have been the best choice for someone wanting a lot of privacy. There are some plantings that give a bit of screening, but our pool and lounge area were still easily visible to anyone walking by on the path, and our villa was directly next to a hotel entrance, so we did hear quite a bit of activity (golf carts, landscapers) in the morning. This did not in any way detract from a positive experience, but might be disappointing for some people who wish complete privacy or who are light sleepers. Having gone back and read some earlier reviews, I wanted to add that it is obvious the resort takes guest comments and suggestions seriously. Some earlier reviewers had commented about ants and insects having come through the open louvers at the top of the WC, where the glass window ends. I noticed in ours that some sort of clear plastic had been affixed over the louvers to prevent insects getting in, so it was clear that they were taking action. Other than a few tiny ants, we had no insects indoors. These very small details aside, we found the Ubud Village Resort and Spa to be a tranquil, luxurious getaway with an attentive staff and attention to detail, and would recommend it wholeheartedly. An ideal honeymoon or romantic couples destination, but also a good choice for families.

Room Tip: Our Garden Villa, #220, was very peaceful, but very close to the main building and not completely pr...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

492 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at The Ubud Village Resort and Spa. The property is beautiful and tranquil. It is paradise! All the staff members were attentive, kind, genuine and friendly. My villa was wonderful! Really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We originally booked in at their sister location the Ubud Village Hotel but due to renovations we were upgraded here and the best way to describe this place is Paradise. The whole experience from checking in to checking out was outstanding. When we arrived we got out the car greeted by name by the staff with huge smiles on their faces. It’s not much but its little touches like that really contribute to what makes a hotel from average to fantastic. What really stood out about this place was the staff. On the first night two of the girls I was travelling with got violently ill and the staff couldn’t have cared more. It was nearly as good as having your own mother there looking after you. The constant offer to call a doctors, asking if they needed anything, even taking them to the local mini mart so they can get medicine(even though the hourly shuttle bus had left already) was nothing but exceptional on their behalf. The grounds and the private villas are beautiful. The hourly shuttle service is extremely handy. The afternoon tea is a lovely touch and there is enough variety in the breakfast menu for you to keep you satisfied from day to day. For all the couples out there who read this this place just screams romance ( we were three friends travelling so not really their target market) but still a fantastic stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We enjoyed our three night stay here; we stayed in the garden pool villa.

The villa was fantastic, though after a day or so we noticed gaps in their maintenance. They did their best to keep the place spruced but on close inspection one would see the moss unattended to, cloudy waters in the villa pond etc.

The staff were very friendly and called us by name towards the end of our stay. They even organised a complimentary birthday cake for my husband and our friend, which was very nice of them.

Afternoon tea was nice, though it seemed odd that the resort didn't have buffet breakfast like many other 5 star resorts. It would have been nice not to be restricted to just a Balinese breakfast or just American breakfast.

We found the spa prices at the resort very pricey (even comparing it to Australian standards), but took advantage of the resort's shuttle service into town to use the spa's in town which were fantastic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Hi Guys! I hope this is not too late for me to share my experience to stay in The Ubud Village, Bali.Me and my family stayed at the Ubud Village Resort & Spa at the end of December 2012. From the moment we walked out of our private transfer we knew we were in for a great experience. Unexpected that the General Manager of The Ubud Village Mr K.Swabawa welcome us even though during we reached the resort the time is about 9.45pm (not office hours time). It was so amazing and fantastic! The staff were attentive, incredibly friendly, genuine and fun to get to know. Whatever you needed or didn't really need they were willing to jump right in... I felt so comfortable with my private pool Villa's in Ubud...I can say that The Ubud surrounding area is the best place for Relax. I was traveling with my family and our Villa was absolutely perfect. So private and so much space. Upon entering the grand room, the smell was wonderful....from the Spa...so nice. My children loved the private pool and they really enjoyed the moment we stayed in The Ubud Village Resort & Spa. Thank you for everything Mr K.Swabawa and his staff.. Cheers with love from me and my family for the best hospitality at your place!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Ubud Village Resort & Spa at the end of February 2013. From the moment we walked out of our taxi we knew we were in for a great experience. The staff were attentive, incredibly friendly, genuine and fun to get to know. Whatever you needed or didn't really need they were willing to jump right in and make our stay as pleasant as possible. The food was excellent, the location was scenic and felt secluded within Ubud with all the rice paddies surrounding the property. The pool, although there was work being done on the teak deck which needed to be done, was the nicest one I swam in out of four properties in Bali. The dark tiles and stone made it feel like I was swimming in a pond. We stayed in a Rice Paddy view room, 420, and the room itself was extremely comfortable. There is an outdoor shower and two Ponduk's for lounging. There is a small pool which gathered a lot of droppings from the trees surrounding it but the sound of the wind through the bamboo trees more than made up for that. I would recommend a room a bit further up on the hill as 420 didn't have the best views of the paddies but it was secluded and as relaxing as you could ask for. My wife and I wuold both return to this property.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the paddies make sure to ask for a room as far out as possible
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Finksburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

When I feel comfortable with my private space in Bali...I say Bali Relax. I was traveling alone although visiting my Bali family and our Villa was absolutely perfect. So private and so much space. Upon entering the grand room, the smell was wonderful....from the Spa...so nice. My Bali family loved the private pool and lounge area. Peaceful setting and the walk for afternoon tea with some nice snacks was delightful and also in the morning on the way to breakfast. The staff was excellent and everyone seems to know you by name no matter you would venture in the village. The spa was a delight overlooking the rice fields while drinking the ginger tea after massage. Stress free management, everyone loves their job. Saying good bye to the Ubud Village was not easy...but I know I will go back again.

Room Tip: Choose a villa with private pool, it is well worth it. The shower was so nice indoors and outdoors...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Ubud Village Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!