“Best place for relax” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 144 Hotels in Ubud
Moscow, Russia
“Best place for relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Just 1 night of staying at this perfect hotel make a deep memory for us about our trip in Bali. Everything was perfect - caring staff, large and technically equipped room with pool and wonderful over-water pavilion, romantic restaurant with fine French cuisine. We enjoyed the jungle view from our villa and perfect massage at the Viceroy's Spa-center. Hotel also arrange for the guests free transfer to the center of Ubud and to the Monkey forest. Viceroy, we love you!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

The deluxe terrace villa with private pool is very spacious and luxurious. The pool and villa overlooks beautiful green valley and it is very private and amazing to wake up to in the morning. I love the breakfast area, you can sit there and just enjoy the beautiful view. It is suitable for couples enjoying a romantic holiday or those traveling solo who wants some quiet and peace. Not recommended for kids as they don't have much facilities apart from the spa and area for yoga. What I like about the resort is that the staff is very friendly, top class service. The free shuttle to and fro Ubud town is a plus. The food served at Cascades is superbly amazing with generous portion and ingredients for western meals, but not so for local meals. If you want authentic local meals at less than half the price, you can have them in Ubud town. Would definitely come again !!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
basel/switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We are looking forward to stay at Viceroy this summer for the third time within four years. After two visits I thought it might be time to look for another place in Ubud. Not because we where unhappy but just to experience something new - but at the same level. Well, after surfing for hours we decided we will stay at Viceroy again... Small hotel, personalized service, excellent food. Personally I think these kind of private held boutique hotels offer you as a guest a kind of environment chains will never be able to offer.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Having stayed at several hotels in Ubud and other parts of Bali, this is truly one of the best hotels I've ever experienced. The villas are fantastic and impeccably maintained, with every detail paid attention to. Each has a private pool and all the amenities you'd expect from a 5 star property. The food is amazing and all meals are served a la carte. If you prefer to use the main pool rather than spending the day in your villa, you will always find a spot there, too, even when the hotel is full. You can rent bikes as well as scooters to explore Ubud, or the hotel will provide transportation to and from the town center complimentary throughout the day. The entire resort is beautifully maintained and you feel like you're in a brand new hotel but with servcie levels you'd expect from an experienced, seasoned team of professionals. Definitely something I will recommend to family and friends!

Room Tip: All villas are beautiful, with the Deluxe Terrace Villas slightly newer and larger. You won't be...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I am a seasoned traveller - please read my profile to put my review into perspective. I lived in SE-Asia for 6 years in the early 2000's and still come back lots.

I stayed at the Viceroy with my wife for 6 days just before new year. For people less familiar with Bali, it is a high end Ubud boutique hotel; there are about 4-6 similar ones around Ubud, such as the Alila or the Hanging Gardens. Hotels around Ubud provide the rice terrace / mountain type holiday feel, whereas Kuta, Seminyak and most other well known suburbs in Bali typically are the more "Beach type" places. Make sure the mountains / rice fields is what you are after if you go to the Viceroy (or any hotel around Ubud)

If this is what you like, then the Viceroy does a fantastic job, at a high end price. The rooms are very luxurious even for this top end type of hotel, probably the most luxurious I have ever seen in the tropcis. This makes unfortunatley for a somewhat less "Bali style" environment (which would be more rustic) however the rooms make up for it with pictures and art pieces as well as the design of the exteriors and the overall 'village' style feel of the property which is very "Bali". We had a lux terrace villa, I think that is the medium room category, with plunge pool. (BTW I think the plunge pool and innter courtyard are a "must", we would have been disappointed had we only had the communal pool available, see below). The room was very large, had also a very large bathroom, big bathtub and oversized shower, and everything worked perfectly. Best part of the villa was the very private plunge pool and the little private pagoda built half over it, half hanging high over the edge to the valley; it was our favorite place of the trip. Overall, the room quality is really what makes the Viceroy stand out compared with the other abovementioned places, it is phenomenal.

All (~22?) rooms are build into the slope of one side of a valley which contains a little river (that can be heard but not seen) and you pretty much look into the other side of the valley with a very nice view of palmtrees, rice fields and lush greens into every direction. While the view directly ahead is a bit limited as you are below the crest of the valley, you can see the Bali vulcanoes one you look to your left, through the valley, which makes a fabulous view particularly after rain, when mist comes up all around. Fantastic view. Service around the room was just perfect and very friendly.

As to facilities, the restaurant was nicely built, had great service and good food, and is apparently one of the best fine dining restaurants in Ubud. However, we felt a little lonely at times, and menu choice was also limited, both for dinner and breakfast, particularly after 6 days. Wine, as in so many places (but not all) in Bali, is ridiculously overpriced, some bottles up to 5x their retail price. Still, a top notch restaurant, and the bar to the side was very nicely designed to make the most out of the proximity of the restaurant and pool and the view over the valley.

The Spa was nice although a little 'clinical' in appearance. However, I had absolutely the best treatment and massage I ever had, including many in Europe, all Asia and Australia. Outstanding and professional. Very impressive, and at a fairly reasonable price.

The gym was very good, with all basic equipment and free weights provided, and less outdated than you typically find in boutique hotels. The treadmill was not working though.

The communal pool was very nice with that same great valley view from a bit higher up, although the space to 'hang out' there is a little limited. The Alila or the hanging gardens are probably better if 'see and be seen' at the main pool is what you are after; however, for us it was not a big deal as we were mostly lying by our own plunge pool in our private courtyard anyways.

Overall therefore, the hotel was absolutely outstanding - if the small, boutique and sometimes somewhat overly quiet feel is what you are after.

However, what did put us off was Ubud in itself. While one might argue that that should not be part of the hotel discussion, I believe it has to be, as the hotel is very small and most people will want to venture into the city at least for dinner, but probably also for shopping and a bit of local experience. This was the problem for us.

I have been to Ubud for the first time 12 years ago, and already then it was fairly ugly experience to walk through the city; since then, it just got a lot worse. The crazy traffic, constant contruction sites, incredible pollution, dangerous footpaths (if any), dirt and ruins everywhere this time got to me after just a day. It has been there for the past 10 years plus, but has multiplied to an extend where I just didnt want to go into Ubud anymore, other than for dinner after suset when the traffic had quieted and the dirt wasn't so obvious. Still lots of nice restaurants around, however I could not get over the feeling that Ubud was in the process of 'being left behind' as all shops have opened franchises in Seminyak, Ubud is growing but not in quality but quantity, and infrastructure remains as bad as ever, but with 4 times the traffic. Seriously, I dont understand why people still go there, it has lost all of its original 'alternative / nature / romantic / hippie' charms it was once famous for, and all the new developments in Bali are elsewhere on the island. If you want to stay in your resort all day, you can still have the rural rustic flair; other than for that, I will not return.

All this is a little unfair to the Viceroy, as they have done the very best and created a luxurious paradise within their boundaries, however location and surroundings are important and my tip is to think this one through very carefully; the very negative Ubud experience has definitely spoiled some of my holiday mood this time around.

A couple of tips on the side: do your shopping in Seminyak, not Ubud - much more choice of the same kind; "mosaic" is a really good fine dining alternative, and "bridges" still has the old ubud flair, style, quality and food at better prices - at least by night.

If you like the review, please vote 'helpful' or leave a brief compliment ;-) and happy travels!

Room Tip: All rooms have the same fantastic view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I have never been compelled to review a place on Trip Advisor before but my stay was so amazing it deserves the praise after our 6 night stay.

The Viceroy is where I chose for my honeymoon and it was absolutely perfect. I would highly recommend it for a honeymoon, getaway, or rejuvenation trip.

- the property is stunning with amazing architecture and every detail thought through.
- you are surrounded by tranquility
- the food was amazing. We had reservations booked in Ubud but canceled all but one night because we enjoy staying on the property and enjoying the food.
- the staff was extremely kind and accommodating. Wonderful service!
- I am not positive but I think they said the place was 75% full and we felt like we owned the place.
- we recommend the sunrise volcano hike (early wakeup but worth it) and the massages are amazing

If I was to complain about anything it would be that there isn't another Viceroy in another part of the world. I would definitely travel there.

We followed our stay at The Viceroy with 4 days in Phuket on the beach and it was the perfect compliment to our stay at the Viceroy.

Thank you Viceroy!

David C.
USA

• Stayed November 2012
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

What an amazing place! The attention to detail unsurpassed -- from the beautiful stone & woodwork down to the in-room amenities. Staff were lovely, food superb, owners were absolutely delightful, architecture and landscaping stunning & the views into the jungle were spectacular. From our terrace, we could see monkeys swinging through the trees! We spent HOURS on the balé and in the private pool (not wanting to leave our fabulous room, except of course for a luxurious spa treatment)! I gush… but for good reason. Can’t wait to book my next holiday here.

Room Tip: Deluxe terrace was perfect -- spacious, quiet and private.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Samaya Bali
#35 of 144 in Ubud
4.5 of 5 stars 278 reviews
The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Komaneka at Tanggayuda

Been to Viceroy Bali? Share your experiences!