“I like it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 315 Ubud B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur
“I like it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

I didn't expect much before I reach Tunjung Mas bungalow.

Surprisingly, the room is big, as well as the wash room. Both room and toilet is breezing, especially in the morning. Besides, the landscape is really nice, you can take a lot of pictures even the resort is small.

I stayed in first floor, the view is nice. If you like plants, natural, privacy and peace, this is a place for you...

I rent a room with USD 48, and I think it's reasonable. Their staffs are friendly and helpful.

Things that I don't like is when I have my breakfast at balcony, it's too sunny... no shade unless you wake up early. The swimming pool is a bit small. There are some ants in my room, maybe because too many plants around.

The funny part is, my brother stepped on a frog when he walk at night. Your can hear the sounds of insect at night. If I go back to Bali again, may be I will consider stay at the same place.

• Liked — view and plants
  • Disliked — ants
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

If you small and intimate hotels, Tunjung Mas is one possible option. The room and shower are big. The staff are very discreet when they go about doing their work. The breakfast is good and is served in the terrace. The rooms are not very soundproof -- I can hear my friends who are staying in the room opposite mine. You are also likely to hear the rest of the guests as they walk past even if you are staying on the second level. One of the problems we faced while staying at Tunjung Mas is the shuttle service. As they only have 1 driver/1car, we need to inform the reception at least half an hour early. If Komang is having his off day, there won't be any drivers. it happened to us during our stay and we had to change our plans. It didn't help that my friend is pregnant and the shuttle service would really be very much appreciated. Upon our request, they arranged another driver but we have to inform them much earlier as he is not stationed at Tunjung Mas. Understandably, given they only have 6 rooms, it does not make much economical sense to have more than one vehicle. Nevertheless, it does affects our holiday mood a little.

• Liked — Breakfast, big rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

We stayed 4 nights in Ubud in July 2007. My wife and I are a young couple, and we enjoy trying different hotels. During our time in Ubud, we stayed 2 nights at the Bali Spirit and 2 nights at Tunjung Mas Bungalows. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at both hotels, but would definitely prefer Tunjung Mas for their service and the people.

It was an incredible value. The staff is extremely friendly, helpful, honest, and went out of there way to make our stay memorable. We had absolutely no problems during our stay. My wife booked the room directly through Komang, the manager of the hotel over email.

One night I needed to send an urgent email back to the US. I had my laptop with me, but no internet connection. Komang came to the room, spent 15 minutes with us, and helped me setup up a dial-up connection using his personal internet provider. Everyone at the hotel went the extra mile to make our visit great!

Our room was located on the first floor. The rooms are very clean and modern. The bathroom was amazing. The shower has a slight opening to the outside, and you feel like you are showering in the rainforest.

The breakfast was a nice surprise as well. We are vegetarian and their dishes even catered to our needs. They present you with a menu each morning, and you pick an item from each category that you like. We would choose toast, fruits, Nasi Goreng (Balinese fried rice), and coffee/tea each morning. Their Jaffles are also very tasty.

The hotel is within a 15-25 minute walk to all of the restaurants and attractions in central Ubud. The hotel offers free car service (pick-up and drop-off). Keep the hotel's business card handy and have the restaurants call the hotel when you are ready for pick-up.

On our final day in Bali, we were trying to figure out what to do as our flight was at 4pm. We discussed our situation with Komang, and he suggested that we do a day trip to the towns closer to the airport and then go directly to the airport. It was only $5 US more to add the sightseeing to the airport transport. Komang took us sightseeing for another 4 hours to towns that we had not visited. We also did some shopping at a very nice mall in Denpasar. It was a great way to finish a wonderful visit to Bali.

• Liked — Incredible value, friendly staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

I stayed for 3 nights at the end of July 2007. Before staying here I read all the different trip advisor reviews on the different choices, investigated prices through the hotel websites directly and also through third party sites. One of the reasons I chose this place is that I wanted a good location, with a nice, small and quaint Ubud/Balinese feel to it; especially since I was coming from kind of the opposite - Nusa Dua Resort.

I'll start with the positive and go into some of the things I disliked below. Overall I don't think I'd stay here again, but that's just because I didn't like a couple of things (again that's below).

I think this hotel (only 6 rooms) has quite a bit of charm to it. Although there are some other hotels that have perhaps better views overlooking rice fields or slightly closer to the core of Ubud this one offered great value for the money without really roughing it. I am not a camping type person, do enjoy modern conviences and this place had a nice, pretty large room, very large bathroom, gorgeous grounds (although small b/c only 6 rooms), and was just south of the core of Ubud but still right on the main street so there was lots of stuff even within a 30 second walk - restaurants, stores, a convience store/mini mart. About 10 minutes away walking was the monkey forest, 20 minutes straight walk could get you to the Ubud market.
The hotel does provide a shuttle to any place within Ubud free of charge if you ask.
In addition, after reading a previous review, I contacted the hotel directly instead of booking through their site and got their deluxe room for $60US, tax incl., breakfast included instead of the $90++ US rate on their website.
There was some choice in the breakfast - i.e. toast, balinese waffle equivalent, fresh fruit, eggs, juices, etc. as well as typical balinese breakfast - i.e. fried rice or noodles, etc.

Overall the service was very good. I did have a couple of issues with Komang who is the manager. Komang lives at the hotel, not using one of the 6 rooms though, he has another one beside reception. Anyways, I had a couple of issues, one was with a late check out I had arranged, the second was the rate they charge for transport/taxi service.

I had arranged for late check out before coming because I had a flight at midnight (red-eye) and wanted to be able to leave for the airport late, clean showered and all. I arranged with Komang a late check out of 6pm in exchange for half the room rate. 6pm was the best he said he could do and I thought the rate was fair. From the second we were checking in Komang said that the room was unfortunately booked immediately after our stay and may not be available for late checkout. I stood ground b/c the late checkout was important to me and we tried to come to a compromise. We decided to discuss it again in a couple of days as we got closer to my departure. We agreed that we'd try to finish up earlier, perhaps 5pm and get out as quickly as possible. They cleaned the room in the morning and we tried not to make a mess in the afternoon so they'd only have to touch up. Anyways, we went back in the early afternoon to sleep for a couple of hours and shower before checkout b/c we can't sleep on planes. At about 3:30pm, I get a call asking if there is any way I can get out of the room now b/c the next guest is here. I though that was pretty rude. We hurried up and showered, closed out our luggage and got out at 4:30 instead. They still charged us for the late checkout. I didn't want to say anything any more at that point. I had even suggested that they should have just offered the next guest half the room rate to compensate for their late check in. It is the hotel's fault for booking the rooms like that.

Anyways, the other item is their rate for transportation. They arranged transportation for me to the airport at about a 25% premium to what I could have got walking to curb and flagging a driver so beware that it may be cheaper to arrange your own. This includes aiport pick up. There are set rates at the airport for certain destinations and they are pretty good.

The last thing and probably the biggest reason I wouldn't stay at this hotel again is the bathroom. Although the room is air conditioned, the bathroom is not and is somewhat exposed through small openings to the outdoors which did result in some bugs in the bathroom. This included some spiders and cobwebs as well as some ants even on the vanity around our toiletry kits as well as bathtub. I even read something similar in another review and noticed the same thing myself - there were dead bugs smushed on the walls. Why doesn't the cleaning staff take care of cleaning this up! In addition, the bathroom does not have a shower. They have a shower head that you have to hold in your hand which makes things a little more complicated. You soap, then pick up the shower head and rinse, etc. It's just more work. I guess you could always take a bath with the dead bugs in the tub. Also mentioned in other reviews as well is the fact that there is no shower curtain and water does fly every where. I didn't find the latter too bad, I just learned to keep anything you want to keep dry at least 5 or 6 feet away. We just through the towels on the floor after the shower to soak in the water.

Overall, this place is good value for the money. The service other than the couple of items mentioned above were good. The rooms are pretty big and air conditioned, some issues for me with the bathroom, breakfast was good, good location, prices negotiable.

• Liked — Good Location, Great Value.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, Some Service Issues.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

We chose this hotel through Trip Advisor and it's the first time I've felt a bit let down by one of the recommendations. Booking was easy and the staff were lovely but I had expected a clean, well cared for room and I didn't think that is what we had. I wonder if our room was the only one, but there were grubby finger marks on the wall, dirty curtains and squashed mosquitos on the wall. The basic daily cleaning was being done well (sweeping, dusting etc) but I don't think there had been any checking by a manager for some time. After reading the other reviews I wonder if our room was due an overhaul that the other rooms had already received? I would definitely suggest you get a top floor room as from the brief look I had they seemed to be fresher and sunnier.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Lack of care and attention given to the room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

We stayed at Tunjung Mas from 12 - 14June. Overall the place is cosy and compact but I do agree with another review that the beds were very creaky. We booked the ground floor unit and the sound proofing needs improvement as we were subjected to noise of furniture moving by the guests who stayed upstairs. We also agree that Komang the property manager was most hospitable and actually picked us from Nusa Dua to Ubud. The TV programs were all local but Komang made it a point to connect a DVD player for our use.

• Liked — privacy
  • Disliked — sound proofing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

My husband and I just got back from Bali yesterday, but we were so impressed with Tunjung Mas that we had to share! Booking with the hotel was a breeze. Komang, the manager, is very efficient, and replied to my email request on the day I sent it, as he did with other emails that I sent.

The place itself is peaceful and quiet. Located towards the southern end of Ubud, it is a 20-minute walk to the Ubud market and the frenetic activity at Jalan Raya Ubud, but there are so many shops cafes and restaurants along the way that you tend to forget (until you have to bring all your shopping back....).

Tunjung Mas bungalows consists of only 6 units, so you never feel like the place is crowded. We had a ground floor unit, with a private walkway through a small garden. The other comments of other Tripadvisor travellers about the rooms were right on the mark. Our room was large and spotless, and after a day walking about the museums and window-shopping, we really looked forward to returning to the peace and quiet of our hotel room. Our only complaint was the bed: although it was huge, it creaked loudly whenever we tossed and turned.

The staff are wonderful, adding their personal touch to the room through carefully placed flowers that were changed daily. The greetings and conversations we shared were sincere and friendly, but never intrusive. Komang, the manager, always took time to ask how our day went.

We are regular visitors to Ubud, and we've stayed at various hotels, from budget stays to 4-star resorts, but we must say that in terms of location, value and service, Tunjung Mas is the best so far.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Creaky bed
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Tunjung Mas Bungalows? Share your experiences!