“Spent Your Days in Serenity” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Santi Mandala

You added Santi Mandala to your Saves list
Santi Mandala
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Br Bucuan Batuan, Sukawati, Ubud, Bali 80582, Indonesia   |
Ranked #60 of 135 Hotels in Ubud
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Spent Your Days in Serenity”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is our 2nd time staying at Ubud in the past 4yrs and boy are we glad we decided to go with Santi Mandala. We stayed at the 2 Bedroom Villa with private pool since we brought along our parents and 2 daughters. I can still remember vividly the heavenly feeling I had at the very moment the main outer door of the villa was opened. Yes it was that majestic!

Let me firstly go through what we loved about our stay:
1] The super comfortable beds
2] Huge bedroom size
3] Large and well designed bathroom
4] Private pool (spent lots of time here including a midnight swim)
5] Great wifi speed (so quick that I even made an ecommerce transation)
6] Attentive service and they even packed a special meal for us since we left very early in the morning to the airport)
7] Overall tranquil environment
8] Free shuttle service 4 times per day (Departs at 10am, 2pm, 4pm & 8pm)
9] Powerful air-condition (much needed with the hot weather when we stayed there)
10] Sufficiently equipped kitchen with utensils to do as we please

What we didn't quite like:
1] Not enough buggy to transport all guests when needed which means we had to wait or walk down to the lobby to grab the free shuttle service to Ubud town.
2] The villa's kitchen and dining area had a lot of ants when food is left outside for even a mere 10mins. Once they appear.. they seem to be everywhere after that.
3] Staff response time can be a tad long but these things can be avoided with better planning on our part.

I read a lot of reviewers complained about the inconvenient location but that is the price to pay for having such an environment. Also mosquito can be an issue but I don't think you can avoid that anywhere you choose to stay around the romantic town of Ubud.

Tips:
- You can request for breakfast to be served at your villa, just need to inform the restaurant the night before or after you check-in.
- Buy mineral water at Ubud as it can take them sometime to get it to you
- Make full use of the kitchen by purchasing simple food, snacks and drinks in town which are relatively cheap at Ubud's Coco Supermarket which is the shuttle's drop and pick-up point.
- Last but not least... mosquito repellent

Room Tip: Get either the 1 or 2 bedroom villa with private pool... I think its a must to really enjoy your sta...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My partner and I stayed in the Plunge Pool Villa for 3 night(Room 207). The room was spacious and relaxing. We had a own pool at the corner of the hotel. The bed was comfy and huge, lighting in the hall is good but there were many light switches to take press, all located at different parts in the room. On a short note,

The good:
-Staff were attentive
-Breakfast was nicely prepared, good variety
-Room is huge
-Tranquil feel of the hotel (there's a natural river in the premise of the hotel)
-Room service is well done
-Own pool

The bad:
-Light switches located at diff. parts of room
-Toilet seat is located in diff. room away from the bathtub and washing sink
-Leaves were found in the pool, making it unappealing to swim
-Bathroom ergonmics: A step is separated between the washing sink(upper step) and bathtub, dangerous when stepping backwards away from the sink if he/she lands on the lower step, causing inbalance.
-No Wifi in room

We felt Santi Mandala has gave us a good impression albeit its little flaws. I hope the wifi issue can be remedied so that guests can enjoy internet access conveniently. Otherwise, we thought it was a wonderful stay for the both of us to have found such a relaxed place for our holiday. Keep up the good work, Santi Mandala.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and were amazed at how quiet and relaxing the location and facilities were. We were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a family villa with its own pool. The inside of the villa was enormous - upstairs was the main bedroom and bathroom with deck, downstairs was the dining and kids beds, with a day bed on the verandah and the pool. We had an excellent view to the locals working in the paddies right next door (made us feel slightly guilty for being in such luxury while they worked so hard).
The grounds of the resort were beautiful. Many stairs as you are in the hills! The main pool was also fantastic.
The restaurant was very good.
The staff organised a driver for us for a day trip to the Botanic Gardens who was excellent.
My only negative comment is that the upstairs toilet was a bit aromatic, but as we spent most of our time outside or doing things, it was not a major problem.
This resort is south of Ubud proper but they do have a free shuttle bus to take you into town. Given the chaos of Ubud, this property is well located.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is one of the best places I have stayed in. I was holidaying with my husband and two young children and stayed for 4 days. We all had a wonderful time. The villa was in a very pretty location, lovely and clean, the food was good and the staff were amazing. There were not a lot of children staying at the villas but the staff interacted with the kids so beautifully (thank you Evo and Dhama) that they loved their experience there. There is a beautiful pool right in the middle and the spa is top quality and reasonably priced. The villas are about 15-20 mins drive from Ubud and it is easy to get transport to Ubud day and night (via the shuttle or taxi). A fantastic place to stay for couples and families looking for some peace and tranquility and time to connect. We found relaxing around the villas was great but there are many things to do including interesting tours of the local area and the Bali Zoo for the kids. I would loved to have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have just finished a 4 night stay and am now completing my holiday in seminyak. I am a super fussy guest and I cannot recommend Santi Mandala highly enough! I did a lot of research before traveling here (on my own) to relax and de stress from my busy life in Perth. I decided on Santi Mandala because it seemed picturesque, had good reviews and a DVD player in the room lol...boy was I in for a good shock! It's better than the pictures and equal to the good reviews. The recommendation to upgrade to a plunge pool villa from precious guests on here was a very good one! I was lucky enough to get villa 301 over looking the pool near the restaurant and spa. All I could say on arrival when security took me (by golf cart) to my villa was Wow Wow Wow...that's huge for me! The room is massive! I requested a king size bed and it was sheer bliss! I was a little apprehensive about the open door bathroom and toilet but actually found it very cool! I wake early and found myself beating the sun (and heat) up so would have a warm bath while watching a movie on the tv (as it swivels around) then I would go on to my day bed on the balcony close my eyes an meditate on the quiet and listen to the birds slowing waking and water in the river trickling by. I would have thought there would have been more Mosquitos but there weren't. Ahhhhhhhhhh exhaling time. The plunge pool was bigger than I expected and I enjoyed a regular skinny dip before breakfast.
Pros: Bagoos the driver who picked me up from the airport at night and got me safely to ubud. The compound is set in beautiful lush gardens and rice paddies with a river running through the middle. The staff are friendly and sometimes a little cheeky :)
Nice lobby, clean room, fast and cheap laundry service, free shuttle to ubud and back excellent!
Peaceful surrounds perfect! No funny smells ever, good spa, safe & secure, quiet, restful, perfect.
Cons: breakfast range small but adequate, better options in town but first shuttle is at 10am. Wifi only available in restaurant or lobby and often slow. Not all the time. A few steps if you stay in rice paddy areas. Some staff don't have good English but that's ok most do. Privacy from people looking into my villa could be achieved but typically no one around so it was fine :) I will e back for sure!

• Stayed September 2013
gold coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This place is beautiful and my villa was simply gorgeous. Everything is clean and well maintained and I feel like I have been staying in pure luxury.
The staff are lovely and very hospitable.
The grounds are well kept with active maintainence that you see every day.
The food is the reason why it only gets a four star from me. As a vegetarian the choices are limited to a pizza (which is delicious), pumpkin soup and tofu dish (I dont eat tofu) so if you are staying here for 4 nights like I did, the food options are not that great and I am sick of eating pizza for lunch and dinner. Fortunately the breakfast is more suited to vegetarians. However the options for meat eaters are endless for lunch and dinner.
The resort is a fair way away from town, however if you drive through the town like I did on numerous occasions for tours you will see that there is not much in the way of anything worth looking at, I especially would not eat at any of the places in town for fear of ending up head first in the toilet. So if you are staying here be aware that it is a drive but the resort is beautiful and well worth the distance. We actually cancelled our monkey tour because we wanted to relax in our beautiful villa rather than seeking entertainment elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed here for just 3 nights and wished we stayed longer! My boyfriend and I were lucky enough to stay in a luxury pool villa, and it was absolutely incredible. The staff were always extremely helpful, especially Evo, who managed to remember our names every time we dined in the restaurant. The shuttle bus is very handy and we would recommend taking a bicycle tour to go and see the local villages. our villa was so lovely we could have camped out there the whole time! Thank you Santi Mandala for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Santi Mandala? Share your experiences!