“My best hotel ever !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alam Shanti

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ubud
Alam Shanti
You added Alam Shanti to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 165 | Nyuhkuning, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #36 of 135 Hotels in Ubud
Rimouski, Canada
“My best hotel ever !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

This place is so charming. It's well located, in a village nearby Ubud, called Nyuhkunning. We can access Ubud easily by walk, following the motorcycle trail across the Monkey Forrest.
I was in the Laskmi room, which is simple, comfortable and very beautiful. Superb wooden furniture, clean bathroom, with bathtub, a private terrace to enjoy your breakfast or the afternoon tea and cakes (included). The first day, you get a fruit basket with very exotic fruits as a welcome gift. The variety of food for breakfast is just incredible. Excellent black rice pudding and delicious fresh pinapple juice.

The pool is just a dream. It's located in a field behind the hotel itself, it's a calm and charming place, and I could spend my entire day in this pool, really. This pool is the perfect symbol of vacations. :o)

If you're tired and don't want to walk to Ubud, you can ask for the shuttle for the Hotel. They let you and pick you up wherever you want in Ubud, at the time you prefer, until 10h30 pm everyday. Practical. I used it 3 times.

I highly recommend this hotel for a honeymoon, or a romantic stay. It's a great value for the money, and it's small. I think they have more employees than guests, so the service is just perfect.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

We arrived in Ubud at the Alam Shanti after first staying in more primitive Amed. All we could say was WOW! We were welcomed with a refreshing blended fruit juice, and after filling out the necessary paperwork, were shown to our room, the Dewi. Every detail of this room is exquisite: the gigantic 4-poster king size bed, the bathroom that's as big as our living room at home, the outdoor porch with daybed and table to enjoy our morning breakfast. And then there are the ornately crafted stone doorways to the porch and bathroom.

The Alam Shanti has a gorgeous new pool and spa. The pool is surrounded by stalks of rice, lily pads and lotus flowers. Simply beautiful! We love the Alam Shanti so very much! We are not Four Seasons type of people and the Shanti doesn't claim to be that. But it was absolute luxury for us. The ornate furniture, the enormous marble bathroom, and the balcony...OMG the balcony! I wish I could recreate everything about it at home, from the daybed for lounging, the table in which to eat our breakfast every morning, and the incredibly lush view all around. I would jump to stay here again and wouldn't hesitate to also try her sister resorts, the Jiwa or Indah. The Alam Shanti was without question our favorite place we stayed in Bali, perhaps even beyond the stunning ocean view honeymoon bure we had in Fiji.

The location was ideal for us. I love that the Shanti feels like a world away, tucked into the lush Ubud landscape, and yet it's actually so very close to town center, especially with the use of a motorbike through the Monkey Forest.

My husband says we can't stay anywhere else but the Alam Shanti when we return to Ubud. Jsut loved it!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
milano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

Alam Shanti is definetely to recommend: stylish, beautiful, large rooms decorated in pure Balinese style in the middle of a luxuriant nature and minutes from the world known Ubud Monkey Forest. Everything is pristine clean, service is friendly and the pool is really nice. There is no restaurant, but you will find many good options in central Ubud (which is a 10 minutes drive). What we really appreciated is that the staff is always happy to drive you to any place in Ubud city and back for free (services out of town are charged at reasonable rates). You will not need to bargain a taxi if you stay at Alam Shanti (and avoiding the taxi touts in Ubud is a big advantage). Prices: not on the very cheap side but definetely reasonable for what you get (at least for Western standards, as the prices are rocket high for Indonesian standards, but is true all over Bali and is another story).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Alam Shanti towards the end of a 3 week trip around Bali. I booked this well in advance(via excellent communication by email) as I had heard such fantastic things about it, and we were not disappointed when we arrived. We were so happy with the rooms (we stayed in Laksmi for 2 nights and Dewi for 3 more) - both so spacious, clean, with huge bathrooms and lovely comfortable beds. The grounds of the hotel's buildings are quiet, calm and lush. Breakfast was huge and was brought to our room every morning, with plenty of options for fruit, muesli, eggs, crepes, juice, tea etc...Afternoon tea was offered every day for free, and the spa was fantastic, and inexpensive. While Alam Shanti is about a 20 minute walk to the centre of Ubud, if you walk through the Monkey Forest, it is only about a 5 minute walk along a lovely quiet neighbourhood street. There is a free shuttle from the hotel however, which is brilliant if you have a lot to carry, or if it's been a long day in the heat, shopping and walking! There are a couple of restaurants/cafes along the street, which are only a 2 minute walk away - Laka Leke is a very impressive, totally outdoor restaurant, with great food.
Also, Alam Shanti is Balinese owned, unlike a lot of hotels in Bali that are owned by absent foreigners. The staff were wonderful, we had no problems at all, we loved Alam Shanti and we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

This hotel is absolutely wonderful. The location is a perfect compromise of being near the action yet you're surrounded by peace and quiet. The pools are beautiful and so quiet you feel as if you're the only guests. The whole grounds are wonderful and lush, and the rooms are a lovely size. We stayed in Sawaswati which is one of the cheapest rooms, on the first floor. The room is large but the best part is the massive balcony you have. You were ever so slightly overlooked by the reception area in this room; if we went back I would pay (slightly) more for one of the rooms nearer the rice paddies but having said that, this was faultless really. The Gangga room looked like it would fantastic. You could have the extensive breakfast served on your balcony at the time you requested which was so nice in the morning.
The hotel is a few minutes walk from the Monkey Forest yet just far enough away to feel secluded and relaxing. Ubud itself is lovely and you will never tire of the restaurants with amazing surroundings.
One thing to note here is the value. Given that the hotel is so beautiful and the staff are so attentive, the price is the icing on the cake. This was by far the cheapest place we stayed in Bali and is in fact one of the best value places I think I have ever been.
Can't recommend highly enough.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My extended family of eight, ranging in age from 14 months to 75 years, was very satisfied with our stay at Alam Shanti. Our group occupied a range of units from the most deluxe/expensive (Gangaa & Yamuna) where my parents and brother stayed, to the lowest cost unit (Lakshmi) where I stayed. Gangaa (upstairs) & Yamuna (downstairs) are like staying in a palace with beautiful hand-carved woodwork, marble floors and original artwork, and their own private infinity pool. These units are perched on the side of a ravine and stream, and have a gorgeous view of rice fields extending to the horizon. The accommodations were excellent and my only complaint is that Lakshmi lacks a shower and the tub takes forever to fill so I instead used the amazing shower in my parents' unit (Gangaa) which has good water pressure and a spectacular view.

The staff was most attentive to our needs (special thanks to Iyou – sorry for the spelling). We frequently used their complementary transport around town, but walking into town through the Monkey Forest is also quick and convenient. The included breakfast is quite good and can be taken in your room or in the lobby where there is free wireless.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Detroit Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

What a delightful place to spend three days. The staff, location, accomodations and food far exceeded my expectations. Three months in advance I had reserved two nights at the Alam Shanti. We called at the very last minute to add an extra night and they were able to accomodate us - how wonderfully fortunate. We stayed in two different rooms and they were both marvelous. Late in the afternoon, after spending a couple hours receiving a massage and facial at the resort, lounging pool side with fresh fruit and tea I could hear religious chanting in the distance......from a nearby temple ? ..The location was great - very close walking distance to Ubud, good restaurants very nearby. They offer the whole package at this resort - do not hesitate!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Alam Shanti? Share your experiences!