“Fabulous pools and views!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Pita Maha

You added The Royal Pita Maha to your Saves list
The Royal Pita Maha
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Desa Kedewatan | PO Box 198, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #36 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
St Felix
“Fabulous pools and views!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We went for the day for which you pay a fee and have use of the hotel and lunch is included with a soft drink!
The view from the main pool is incredible and the pool is just wonderful to swim in! We went on a tour down for which you may take a lift and swam in the Holy Water and a natural pool which leads towards a rafting rivers! Rafting may be organized by the hotel! We swam in all the pool before we went to lunch!
The food was a disappointment which was a shame but our day was still a great success !!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Words and pictures don't do this place justice! We stayed here in May 2013 at the end of a 2 week dive trip with Aquamarine Bali. They kindly arranged our reservation here at the Royal Pita Maha.

I read tons of reviews on Trip Advisor and was really happy with the decision to come here. After a wonderful but tiring dive trip 3 nights here was just what we needed. When we arrived there were about 8 staff waiting for us, and we were wisked down through the reception area and given a lovely cold fruit drink, while our check in was sorted out, we just sat there staring in wonder at the grounds... we could see a peek through the restaurant at the view behind and couldn't wait to be taken to our room to have a proper look at the view!

We had a hillside villa and it was absolutely breathtaking. These villas really are fit for royalty! They are huge, the bed is huge and comfortable, the sliding doors opposite the bed which you can simply open to allow the sounds of the river below to float into your room ...are amazing! We just walked around in a daze admiring the villa for about an hour, and then decided to check out our private pool! You could literally stay in your villa and that would be bliss, but then you have all the hotel grounds to explore!

The main pool is beautiful and we loved relaxing here after breakfast gazing out over the valley and river below... The toilets and showers around the main pool all feature beautifully wrapped soaps and lovely white towels.

We got up one morning around 6.30 and just wandered down to the river side had a dip in the 'lazy river' and had an early breakfast at the organic restaurant. Then just chilled out by the river. Everywhere you go there are fresh towels and once you used it and placed it down it disappeared as if by magic! It felt like being in a garden of eden!

The sacred pool was gorgeous too.. Breakfast at the main restaurant is worth trying swell, what an amazing array of food and drinks, beautifully presented... it's worth experiencing both breakfasts.

We didn't dine here but instead tried a couple of little places in Ubud, nice regular shuttles into Ubud, and they will drop you off somewhere specific if it's en route. Shuttles were always on time and hassle free.

Lovely turn down service we came back to find the netting over our bed all closed one night, it looked amazing. Sleeping in that bed was the best bed I've ever slept in we felt like we were sleeping in a cloud... it was so comfortable! An afternoon siesta falling asleep gazing out over the valley and waking to the pink sky once the sun had gone down was like a dream, we still have to pinch ourselves that we were really there it felt like a dream!

If you're thinking of booking, don't hesitate, do it. I really don't think anything would ever top this for beauty, views, service and the traditional Balinese style. Everywhere you go there was something to admire be it the landscaping, wooden carvings, beautiful Balinese artwork, orchids the list goes on...

I had to convince the husband to go for the Royal Pita Maha when we booked as he would have rather had more days in Ubud for the money, but he was astounded when we arrived, and needless to say I was right with my choice! It was worth every penny and will be a memory that will live with us forever...

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view of the valley
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

the royal pita maha is like heaven on earth....the rooms are big and dream like...the views are to die for....we stayed in a villa at the top of the mountain...we had our own pirvate pool and the food at the resort was very good so was the service...free shuttle bus to ubud town centre every day...its very relaxing and plush!highly recommended...go and stay at this resort easily one of the best in ubud

Room Tip: the spa treatment is next door to the hotel....its not owned by the hotel very expensive and overate...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

This hotel was booked for us by our travel agent and we were not disappointed! As everyone has commented the photos do not do it justice. We arrived very late (1am) but were greeted with a welcome drink and big smiles from the staff. The lobby area is amazing. It is semi-open with little waterfalls, abundant plant life, hand carved statues and beautiful orchids everywhere. It makes you relax as soon as you arrive. We were escorted to our villa (158) and our luggage was brought along once we got settled. The entrance to your villa has 2 sets of solid wooden doors with a padlock on it. Once we walked in we were blown away as to how beautifully appointed it was! We couldn't see the view as I said we arrived late. The bathroom was fantastic, huge tub, separate shower and closed off toilet, 2 hand basins and a sliding door to the pool area. The lounge/tv area was stunning as well. I know some people have commented that the furniture looks dated, well not really, it is all hand carved and natural and made by local artists. The bed head has been lovingly carved with flowers and painted, it is beautiful.. I would rather see this style of furniture than some cheap tacky laminated knock-off. The lounge and tv area is quite large and has your fridge in it. Very comfortable couch and large tv for watching dvds (available at reception) There is also a tv in the main bedroom area. The bed is king sized and extremely comfortable and beautifully made. (more comfortable than my own bed!!) There are 2 desk areas which we had our laptops set up on (free wi-fi but VERY slow - enough to check your emails but uploading photos takes up to an hour!!) and a nice little lounge seat at the foot of the bed to look at the view. We heard some strange noises at night but nothing to worry about, we realised it was just the little geckos who were harmless running about. The roof is thatched in traditional Balinese style so you hear them running around on that - well you are in the forest!!!! Expect to see some wildlife, but overall we really saw nothing much in our room. Couple of ants and a small spider but that's it. If you are physically unfit or have bad knees or respiratory problems you WILL have an issue with all the steps and the humidity. It is a beautiful resort with lush gardens and wonderful swimming areas and the Ayung River below but you are in the mountains so be prepared for some walking up and down steps!! So to continue, we left our blockout curtains open the first night so we could watch the sunrise....oh my goodness!!! WHAT A VIEW!!!! Watching the mist roll past as the sun came over the trees, finally saw our pool and the drop off into the forest...wonderful...you will be amazed I am sure. We went down for breakfast and then we saw the best view...WOW... looking straight down into the valley with sheer cliff on one side and the mountains around us. you can clearly see the river and hear the white water rafting patrons laughing merrily. You also see the working rice fields and the other swimming lagoon which is amazing. I was actually moved when I saw this view, sounds silly but I have never seen anything like it before. The wait staff were very attentive. I had been learning some basic Bahasa Indonesian which was well received with big smiles! I would like to say a big thankyou to Kormi, the little lady with freckles and a big smile who took care of us each day and we chatted happily about all sorts. We cannot fault the staff they are amazing and they do speak good english. We ate lunch and dinner at the resort for 5 days and the bill was only $400 AUD which is awesome. We loved the food, they do a fantastic rump steak and mash potato for only $28. Some people have commented that the food is no good, well I disagree with you, sorry. We had nothing but a great experience.While we were there, a most amazing storm came through with so much rain it turned all the steps into a waterfall. (we did go in the wet season) There is a local artist who is in the lobby area by the lifts. His name is Ketut and he is very friendly. I purchased some of his hand painted wooden eggs on stands, wonderful workmanship and a lovely man, be sure to say hello. I did get sick on the second night but NOT from the hotel, I drank a strawberry drink at a local street vendor and it was 12 hours of blah!! I rang reception to let them know I needed more towels and they asked if I needed a doctor or medicine, they were very concerned and when I did come down for some food the staff asked how I was and because we missed our breakfast we got a free lunch. I won't spoil the surprise as to what your welcome gift is and I won't tell you what they give you when you leave either ( you will just have to wait :) I also got some laundry done and when it was returned, it was immaculately folded and wrapped in paper and gold ribbon, what a lovely touch. There is also the most fantastic day spa at the resort. The way in leads you down a path with statues and a view of the forest and valley. By the time you get to the bottom, you are relaxed and you are greeted by very friendly staff. We never used the facilities but we got the free tour which we recommend you do. This is definately on my to do list next time we come. The facilities are gold class and I really wish I had gotten a massage or something. So to summarise, fantastic resort keeping with Balinese tradition and the most friendly staff we have ever encountered. We will be back again and the next time we will ask for a villa overlooking the river just for something different. It was very peaceful even though they are building more villas and work was being done during the day - I read some comments that construction work was being done at night, which I don't see how this is possible, they don't have flood lighting to see what they are doing, so it is only done during the day and noise is kept to a minimum. Also we never got bitten by any mosquitoes either... we brought heaps of repellant but never needed it. We recommend this place for a romantic getaway, you are about one hours drive from the airport and you have a driver from the hotel who will come and get you. We hope you enjoy your adventure here as much as we did.

Room Tip: villa 158 for peaceful view of valley towards Denpasar. We were away from large public pool and we d...
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Dream-like.

I can’t think of any other combination of words that can describe this place.

The VIEWS! We arrived in the afternoon during a rain shower. We were met with an open lobby with sounds of gentle streams and the river below, the mist that overtook the valley earlier that morning presented itself to us on a terrace that seemed infinitely vast. It felt magical, even the smell of the rain was a delight, coaxing the lush vegetation all around us into releasing their secret perfumes into the air.

The Villa

The Ajung Villas are situated at the bottom of the valley closest to the river with extra large pools that blend into the environment. The most private villas will overlook a yoga pavilion that gets little traffic for an hour in the morning. (I think I saw exactly 3 people using it one morning during my entire stay.) Yes, I took a naked shower outside on one of the days, simply because the privacy was incredible. I definitely wouldn’t be able to do this back home, aka Vancouver, Canada, where I’ve currently jacked up the heat. I didn’t hear or see my neighbours since we were so far apart, and the greenery between each villa was so dense.

The Service

The people here were very attentive, friendly, and security-aware. Let them know if you’re going to have visitors. I had a few friends who were in the area stop by for a few hours in the afternoon, as well as a guide I arranged beforehand come to the hotel to pick us up. Otherwise, know that they do get commission for day trips, specifically the rafting trips that they will suggest to you. While the prices may be $10-$15 USD more per person than the lowest rates you can find outside the resort, the rafting group they recommended was by far the best. We did a trip with them, and noticed that their equipment was the newest, their group the smallest, and the guide that we had was also very fluent in English and very willing to talk about life in Ubud.

Location

Best location, hands down. The only five star resort located on the river, perched over the valley. The quick 7 minute shuttle into Ubud town also made it fabulously convenient.

Room Tip: Go for the Ajung Healing Villas! They are the most private, the infinity pool deluxe villas are too...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Warrnambool, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Amazing views and private pools, serenity is amazing!!
The service was always friendly, however there didn't appear to be a casual bar for afternoon drinks before heading to dinner.
Important to take time to relax and enjoy the beauty of the surrounding hills and river. You can easily lose time just kicking back with a good book!

Room Tip: Have a close look at the map - this resort is very big and I would have hated to be in a room down n...
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

It's centrally located in Ubud, near my favorite traditional Balinese chicken rice, Kedewatan.
I was so surprised to find out the area is huge. This is absolutely stunning.

My villa was located at the edge of the area near the Ayung river, the balcony and the outdoor view are amazing. I decided to have a Yoga session here. The next morning I found out that they have a regular Yoga class and provide a Yoga Guru. The area is the best to have true tranquility. After Yoga, don't forget to jump to the Holy pool where you can also drink the water from this pool directly.

Don't miss to try the Balinese spa treatment at Royal Kirana Spa and Wellness, very relaxing indeed.

Such an unique experience staying in this resort. I don't wanna leave.

My suggestion, don't bring old folks to this area since the resort has so many steps and the most suitable will be for couples and those who like Yoga.

Room Tip: All villas are well located, get the one in front of Ayung river.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Pita Maha? Share your experiences!