“Relaxe in tropical rainforest resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Pita Maha

You added The Royal Pita Maha to your Saves list
The Royal Pita Maha
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Desa Kedewatan | PO Box 198, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #36 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
Brisbane
“Relaxe in tropical rainforest resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was the second hotel we stayed in on our recent trip to Bali. We stayed for 4 nights & loved it. It has the beautiful views, the Ayung river flows at the bottom of it & is set amongst lush tropical rainforest.
If I was to be picky & list some "negatives" I would have to say that if you are looking for a venue with some life it is not the place for you as it is more for "relaxation" , be aware that if you have one of the rooms down by the river there are alot of stairs to climb up & down so not recommended for people lacking fitness or with "joint" problems, mosquitoes are definitely a problem...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Mandurah, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The Royal Pita Maha was the second destination of our honeymoon. We stayed three nights in August 2012. We had high hopes due to the price tag and first impressions did not disappoint! The view from the reception area is simply breathtaking. The check in process was quick and we loved the welcome drink and cold towel.

Pluses
The room was huge and well appointed
The spa and pool do not disappoint (even if a little cold in the August weather)
Food and entertainment from the passing white water rafters at the Ayung River Café was amazing. Try the vegie stirfry!
Breakfast is a four course event. Be prepared!
Courtesy bus into town is a nice touch

Minuses
The high ceilings and thatched roof meant the air conditioner struggled to cool the room down
Very limited choice of restaurants because the Balinese themed restaurant was often closed
The staff were a little pushy - always recommending we try white water rafting

Overall stunning location but very little to do within the grounds. Perfect for a two night stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed at Royal Pita Maha with my wife. The villa is nice located on the hill. It has a private pool and from our villa you can see the field rice and Ayung River. The view is beautiful right in front your bed. The sound from the river and "suara jangkrik" also very nice.

They have a shuttle bus to take you to Ubud every hour.

Room Tip: Pick the villa not to far up from the restaurant.
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I echo the words of all the positive comments on this forum, however, although the resort absolutely deserves an overall "excellent" rating, I was a bit hesitant to put them in such category, for the simple fact that i was not particularly fond of sleeping in the company of lizards and their constant singing throughout the night. Being a light sleeper, this was a major issue for me which might be ok for most heavy sleepers and this is why i rated the "sleep quality" to "average". Nevertheless, given the location of the resort, which is on a garden-like-forest, I believe that this kind of flaws are inevitable and perhaps beyond the resorts control.

Lizards apart, our stay at the RPM was astounding and i would definitely recommend anyone heading to Ubud to stay there. It may be considered expensive by some, but it is with no doubt well worth the money.

Room Tip: We stayed in villa 153, which is at the very top of the hill, thus provides a near-panoramic view of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 3 days and 2 nights for our honeymoon. The room is big, with living room, private pool, jacuzzi and very nice view outside our villa. There are shuttle bus that will carry you every hour from the royal pita maha to ubud, start from 9.00 AM - 9.00 PM. If you like outdoor sport, there is rafting sport along ayung rivers and you can see the royal pita maha from these river with a wondefull view while in rafting. We take about 11 km journeys for at least 2 hours rafting. The royal pita maha is one of great place for honeymoon.

Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This resort was chosen because it looked good on their website and also having rave reviews in tripadvisor.com. Hence, we decided to go ahead. Staff were friendly and polite to the requests from us. Room is spacious with a living room and also a pool perched on top of the cliff on a mountain. The whole property is pretty huge with lush greenery all around the Villa and privacy is definitely assured over here. The daily breakfasts are very well prepared and the quality of the food is definitely beyond expectations as it was not of buffet style but rather it's ala carte that makes sure all food served is fresh. However, the choices of the breakfasts are quite limited and basically you have to take the same menu daily because you only have 3 choices. Among the 3, the American breakfast is considered the best as we had tried the Asian (which I am not impressed with). So, if you are not a fussy eater then I will say that the breakfast offered is pretty great in terms in quality and quantity. We had lunch at their restaurant as well because it's complimentary. The food quality is again up to expectations with beautiful presentations and also great service (but only 1 table was being filled up when we arrived). As our lunch is complimentary, I did not expect much because the portions are not that generous to fill up someone who can eat much more. (I am definitely a person who dun eat much during meal times, opt for somewhere else if you want a hearty lunch). We took a glimpse of the pricing and we felt that 2 glasses of fruit juices cost us USD 12 which is totally pricey . I will say that the food is over priced and hence many of the guests were not dining at the restaurants because of this reason.

In terms of the Villa, be mentally you have to walk a lot if you did not request for one near the reception because there are a lot of steep slopes that you have to walk on if you want to get to your own Villa. We have a pool which is pretty shallow and of a decent size overlooking the Ayung river and loads of greenery and the mountains across. Very refreshing view and full of light when the sun is up. We had fun in the pool daily but be careful because the pool is not made up of natural sharp stones and I did have an abrasion because I was not used to it since it was only 0.8m to 1.4m in depth which I think it's also catered for people who do not know how to swim.

As for the bedroom, I had highlighted to them that I am allergic to strong sunlight as their curtains are wearing thin due to years of use. I could even see stains on the cream curtains and they are too thin to block out sunlight if you want to sleep in peace and a cozy room. When I told them about my concern, the staff replied there was nothing they could do to remedy this situation. So, I had to really endure with the answer when the staff at Melati cottage went out of their duty to buy a piece of cloth to cover over my bed to ensure I can sleep well...seriously I am impressed with them for making this exception for me.

For the amount per night that they are charging , I think the property needs to be upgraded and we can see renovation works going on when we were there. But to ensure a good night's quality sleep is something that some tropical resorts are not addressing. Being an urbanite, I am used to sleeping in a cozy environment that all sunlight could be blocked out and I realize that I need to always make a note to the resort/hotel that I am travelling to before I finalized the reservation.

Perhaps the rest of the guests love the sunlight flooding into their Villas the first thing in the day. But I will think that it will be better if the resort can take into consideration that different people have different sleeping habits and I am sure I am not the only one. Although this is technically not their fault but they could have been more sensitive to the needs of the guests when a request of such nature has been put forward.

When I tried to soak in the beautiful heart shaped bath tub, it was very dirty and seemed like it has not been cleaned for a long time with some dead bugs inside the tub. I had to use some time to clean it before I can totally soak inside the tub. I will think that this establishment is getting dated and old and they could have upgraded their facilities and amenities so that they can catch up with the various new resorts that are coming up.

In fact, I will not think they should be charging about USD 575 per night when I could have stayed in another property that is totally new and exclusive without having to compromise on anything in particular.

I do have a benchmark because of the lovely experience that I had earlier in the year with The One Boutique Villa due to their customized and personalized service . Hence, the rest of the properties pales if they do not meet up to the impeccable service that The One Boutique Villa (Seminyak) had given to me. In fact, if you want the best of both worlds, check out Maya Loka Villas as well. They are also around for some time but I totally enjoyed their service when I stayed over earlier this year.

If you really want to have an exclusive experience of old Balinese Charm with a modern twist, then I will think The Royal Maha Pita has to upgrade their property in order to compete with the various new Villas that are coming up all over Ubud.

Ubud is a beautiful and peaceful place but it will become touristy in no time. So, get hold of somewhere else such as Ananda Cottages which I had also enjoyed on my previous stay when I was in Ubud.

Room Tip: If you do not want to walk a long distance in this property, ask for a Villa close to the hotel lobb...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed end of November to early December for our honeymoon and were lucky enough to be booked into their new pool villas in the new South Wing! Our villa was absolutely gorgeous, a HUGE king size bed with king size pillows that were just like sleeping on clouds! We woke up each morning to that amazing view of our pool that overlooked the jungle valley and river Agung below! The bathroom was also impressive with a large bath that also held impressive views of the jungle valley, seperate shower with large shower head, toilet and double vanities. Our pool was beautiful and clean and was accompanied by two sun loungers with umbrella and a gorgeous bale hut with a dining table for two. We had our breakfast delivered (included in price you can either have it delivered or go to the restaurant) to here every day and enjoyed the view over breakfast! The staff were friendly, informative and always willing to help! We had a cooking lesson with the Chef in the Royal Pita Maha kitchen which we thoroughly enjoyed and had a lot of fun, we ate what we cooked for lunch which turned out quite well! The grounds of the resort are amazing, so beautiful and the lagoon swimming pool is a must see right at the bottom of the resort near the river! It is made with river stones and is a great place to relax! We had a motorbike to get around on, 10 min ride into Ubud so it is a great location. Not to worry of you dont have transport as the resort offer free shuttle service into Ubud which had a regular schedule! We really enjoyed our stay here and wished we could have stayed longer! The only problem we had was the wifi would cut out every now and then but we just logged back in and it was fine :)

• Stayed November 2012

Been to The Royal Pita Maha? Share your experiences!