“Beautiful and unique, in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tegal Sari

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ubud
Tegal Sari
You added Tegal Sari to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hanoman Street Padang Tegal, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #41 of 145 Hotels in Ubud
Newton, Massachusetts, USA
“Beautiful and unique, in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for the brief portion of our honeymoon that wasn't spent on Bali's beautiful beaches. We are so glad we took that break from the beaches, wonderful as they were, to enjoy all Ubud has to offer, and we couldn't have picked a nicer place to stay in Ubud than the Tegal Sari. We stayed in a deluxe room, that was actually a two-story domicile with a balcony and private jacuzzi. The room itself was quite nice, and the view from our balcony of rice fields was the most tranquil view I've ever experienced from a hotel room. Our rate included breakfast room service, and enjoying the delicious fresh juices and foods on our balcony was a highlight.

But, do not draw an impression that this hotel was in a remote rural paradise. Rather, the center of town was just a 5 minute walk in the other direction, giving us wonderful restaurants, shops, museums, and culture at our doorstep. The people who worked at the hotel were very helpful, arranging transportation to a traditional dance exhibition at no expense to us, and arranging transportation to our next hotel (a long drive from Ubud) at minimal cost.

I have no regrets about staying at this hotel and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

Stayed 3 nights at Tegal Sari, first 2 nights in Room 23 Super Deluxe. Couldn't get it for the 3rd night so moved to Deluxe Room 17 which still a great view of the rice fields.
There's so many reviews on this hotel and it turned out to be everything we expected.
Great location, beautiful hotel.

Only thing I guess they could change is to perhaps put t.v.'s in the room, for people with children. At night there is nowhere to go in Ubud after dinner so a t.v. (with cable) in the room for afterwards wouldn't go astray.

Didn't want to leave!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

the hotel was built inbetween two pieces of rice fileds, can see local people working on the farm, volcanos at the end of your visual field.. we didnt even turn on air con at night, you can hear fogs at night,frsh air, cozy environment..the toilet is bigger than what i expect.. no TV, but I am sure you wont feel like watching TV there, just look at the rice field, it is 100 times better than watching TV.. need to walk about 20 minutes to the center of ubud, but along the way has plenty of shops n restaurants.. venezia aps just opposite hotel's back door, both hotel n spa offer reasonable price..

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Port Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Have just returned from our first ever trip to Bali, and Tegal Sari and Ubud were without doubt my favourite out of the 3 areas and hotels we stayed in. As many people have said before me, the staff really made our stay, they are so warm and friendly and really made us feel so welcome from the time we arrived. Nothing was a problem for them and they always had time for a chat and a smile. I especially liked Kadek from the restaurant , she was so sweet. Our room (the super deluxe wooden #20) was just gorgeous. It was spotless, and heaps bigger than I expected, It was only a short walk past the new villas (got a peep inside one, they are simply stunning) and you were in Monkey Forest Rd. The only downside I found was that the room was a considerable distance to reception (especially in the rain), and the shower could be a problem for bigger people as it was not very big, but the MASSIVE bath more than made up for it. Pertiwi Spa was just superb and I actually fell asleep during my facial, it was so relaxing. Yes, Tegal Sari IS as good as they say, and I will certainly try to stay there again if and when I go to Ubud again, which I hope is sooner rather than later.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Covina, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

Just stayed at Tegal Sari and it was great. The super deluxe rooms are excellent: quiet, spacious, well-appointed, wonderful views of rice paddies. The superior rooms are more basic, but still good value and located closer to the front desk and restaurant. Some of the super deluxe rooms are quite a long walk from the front desk as the hotel layout is pretty much linear, stretching over a distance of around 200 meters. The pool is ok but the floor of the pool is uneven and hard on the feet if you are standing in the water (as I was with my very young daughter). Great place, though, and I look forward to returning. Just be sure to book way early as they are almost always full.

• Stayed April 2010
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

This was our second stay at Tegal sari and we loved it again. We took friends with us and they also loved it.
We were in 2 rooms by the pool. We were downstairs in 17 and they were above in 16.
Lovely staff, lovely view, great food, gorgeous rooms.
The only problem being that the air conditioners were not that powerful.
We did have fans as well....and with them on too, it was fine. But coming from a hotel in Kuta where it was cold......it was a little disappointing.
A short cut had us through to monkey forest and monkey forest road in no time.
Free shuttle service to and from town was needed and appreciated.
I must say the noise I expected to hear in the rice paddies that we heard when we visited in the month of July.......were not heard. (Thank goodness) Scarecrows etc frightening away birds etc, not good for sleep in's in such a serene place.
So I guess it depends on when you go as to just how quiet it is.
I love tegal sari, but they no longer serve breakfast....we got the last breakfast ever that was complimentary. (I am sure you can buy it now).....so perhaps next time we stay in ubud, it will be time to try another hotel, as i have never compared.

• Stayed March 2010
Chichester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

I've been going to Bali for the past several years, and have brought many friends on various trips. I have stayed in a lot of places around Ubud and the rest of the Island and have ever had the experience with staff that I have had at Tegal Sari. So many memorable experiences, but one of the best was when a staff member, Astana, invited us to his "home village" for the annual temple ceremony. It was such a beautiful magical night, and I will never forget it. But it's the attention to detail, the staffs amazing ability to intuit what is needed, and their professionalism. The staff have shared the reasons that they love working there and have stayed despite the fact that they can make more money in other hotels, They are each trained to do all the jobs, which they love. The hotel is Balinese owned (some of the workers are related to the owner) and so their Holidays are honored (many hotels do not honor this.)
I could go on and on..I will just say that it is beautiful, relaxed, the pool is gorgeous and will refresh your soul. The spa is amazing. I love it there!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business