“A beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tegal Sari

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ubud
Tegal Sari
You added Tegal Sari to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hanoman Street Padang Tegal, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #32 of 135 Hotels in Ubud
Gawler, Australia
“A beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was my second time staying at Tegal Sari. This time I stayed for 2 nights from 10 - 12 July. I stayed in Super Deluxe room 33 which is on the lower level, has a queen and a single bed and overlooks the rice paddies. This room is absolutely beautiful. The views over the rice paddies are such a relaxing and tranquil start to the day while enjoying breakfast on the balcony or a wonderful end to a busy day. The bathroom was just divine and the bath was a luxurious place to soak away any aches and pains while taking in the rice paddy views. The staff are always friendly and welcoming and will go above and beyond to make your stay fantastic. It is no wonder this hotel is so popular that you have to book so far in advance to get the rooms you want. I travelled with a group of 11 people and some had to stay at Greenfields (next door) as there were not enough rooms available. This wasn't a problem though as the hotel's are right next door to each other. On checkout I needed to meet up with the rest of the group over at Greenfields and the staff at Tegal Sari were more than happy to help me with taking my luggage over to the reception there. I will be sure to request this room when I return to Ubud next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Santa Barbara, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This place is an oasis within Ubud at a GREAT price. It is very convenient with a quick walk down the path to Monkey Forest or to the grocery store and shops if you head out the other way. We stayed in the Wooden room and the duplex and really liked both. The view of the rice field and locals harvesting it was priceless. Excellent bathtubs! The only suggestion would be the breakfast. It was okay but not great in comparison to other spots.

What we cherished the most though was the customer service we were shown by all the staff there. They set anything we needed up, brought breakfast to our rooms, and greeted us by name in the morning. They even set me a birthday email a few weeks after the trip! This kind of genuine treatment is hard to come by in the US. We will definitely be back at Tegal Sari should we visit Ubud again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Doh! Now I get why this place is so popular with its amazing value for money and why the booking system is so tough to ensure you turn up!
Like everyone else who can't decide which room to stay in at Tegal Sari, my advice would be if you have the choice and can climb some stairs then go the upper level rooms over the ground floor.
My travel buddy had a super deluxe (room 20 upstairs) and the views were just gorgeous and the room massive. I started in a wooden room (room 16 up an external spiral staircase) and felt like I was in a fantastic tree-house with the same amazing views over the lush rice paddies (the 2 wooden rooms are on either side of the pool). I then moved to a super deluxe on the ground floor (room 19) and although I had a view and the same gorgeous facilities as upstairs, it just wasn't the same. The balconies on the upper level rooms give you a sanctuary of calm, privacy and escape as well as the most comfortable day bed that the lower rooms just don't offer on the porch/terrace. I guess if you had kids the lower level rooms might be more suitable but travelling solo or as a couple, the balconies win, no question. I noticed that room 24 upstairs would be perfect as it's last in the line of super deluxe and has two sides of windows with beautiful views - onto the rice paddies and the monkey forest itself.
A Wi-Fi code was given specific to you room so that was great, there's no TV's in the rooms and even if you request one it's only the local channels. For those wanting to read - do it in the daylight or bring a head torch as the bedside tables only offer a subtle romantic glow! Although the breakfast isn't included, the room service breakfast was very cheap and the fruit was deliciously sweet. There are loads of places nearby for breakfast or get the on-call shuttle service to drop you off somewhere else -the Bridge restaurant was one of the boundaries (and yes worth booking in advance to get a river view table).
It was very handy having the recently opened Coco supermarket a few minutes walk away and once milk and coffee (medium ground Butterfly Globe or Mandailing Estate) was purchased, my take everywhere coffee plunger provided a strong brew first thing every morning.
The staff, the gardens and the feeling of relaxation is immediate when you arrive at Tegal Sari so believe all the hype and get booking.

Room Tip: Go the wooden rooms -there's only two and oh so delightful.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I dithered for quite some time about where to spend the Balinese Hindu New Year in March 2013. Colourful processions on the evening preceding the holiday (Nyepi, "The Day of Silence", when everything—including the international airport!—is closed) warranted that we stay in Ubud. I'd really wanted to have a view of a lush valley with rice paddies, but then we wouldn't have been able to see the ogoh-ogoh procession of papier mâché demons being paraded down the streets. Unfavourable comments by some reviewers of the Tegal Sari Hotel ("Fragrant Field") made us hesitate, but we decided to take a chance since it was so close to town. We weren't sure if our email booking request had been received, since we didn't get a reply, so we phoned long-distance and made our reservation. Even then, once in Bali, we stopped in at the hotel to make sure we were booked for the following week (we were). Since no one, not even non-Hindus, is allowed out on the streets on Nyepi, we got ourselves a villa with a private secluded pool to spend our day of sequestration in. There wouldn't be any services from the hotel on that day and we were given a significant discount. We stocked the refrigerator with food and treats and bought a couple of bottles of (Australian) wine in town in preparation for our forced day of seclusion. From the window, we did see rice paddies next to the hotel, albeit on flat land. The evening before the holiday, we walked from the hotel past the Monkey Forest and up to the central market to see the parade (which was wonderfully garish!). Afterwards we found one of the very few open restaurants and had dinner. It was pitch dark when we made our way back to the hotel, but even passing the deserted, unlit area of the Monkey Forest, we weren't at all uneasy. I'm sure crime exists, but we had the good fortune not to be victims of it. Even without views of a valley, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Tegal Sari Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed for 3 days 2 night and loved that place. We wished we stayed longer. Good place to relax, the rooms are big, clean. The staff are very helpful and friendly, we had a lovely welcome,they showed us around. The hotel provides shuttle as well to ubud centre. The location is great and we loved the view. No drawbacks but book early(long booking process by email). We will be back!

Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Yet another fantastic stay at Tegal Sari. The weaving gardens, our spacious room, central location and ever friendly staff were once again...absolutely perfect for the very affordable price that we paid. This time we also did the cooking class that is available through Tegal Sari. It was a delightful, informative and delicious session with Wayan which we thoroughly enjoyed. Wayan spoke knowledgeably about traditional Indonesian cuisine and with his assistance we cooked up a magnificent multi-course feast. We highly recommend it! The hotel is undergoing some extensions but these did not impact negatively on our stay. Thankyou, once again Tegal Sari, for a memorable stay.

Panama City Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

For days, I have been sending them emails. They answered once leading me to believe they had the week of 15-22 open. If is very hard for me to get to a phone, but I finally was able. The only thing they had open was a villa at $150/night open for the next 2 months. Their rudeness has left me without a place to stay. Obvious I am very upset at how much of my time they have wasted. They could have said right up front they were booked.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Tegal Sari? Share your experiences!