“Still the same old gem after 4 years” 5 of 5 stars

Tegal Sari
Hanoman Street Padang Tegal, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #25 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
Singapore, Singapore
“Still the same old gem after 4 years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I finally return to this hotel after four years. This time we stayed in the duplex.
Again, service is remarkable, sincere and we really like sitting at the balcony looking at the rice fields.
Breakfast is wonderful, the mee goreng is tasty!
Check in was smooth, and the floral arrangement on bed and table was a pleasant surprise for my fiancee:)
The crew that introduced the room to us also guided us to the new part of the resort and we were shown the newer villas which got us very excited about returning again!
Overall, I think this is a wonderful product with competitive price, service and great view of rice fields.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at tegal sari for 4 nights in November and had a wonderful time. We moved around a bit and after leaving ubud, we stayed at kamala pantai in legian for a few days and then onto mutiara in seminyak. The day before we were leaving bali to return to perth, My daughter realised that she had had lost/left her diary in ubud. She contacted tegal sari and was relieved that they had found it by their pool. As we had an early flight the next day, they advised they would post to us. On our return from dinner that night, we had a call from reception advising that someone from tegal sari was at reception with my daughter's diary. What a wonderful surprise and what great service. Thank you so much

• Stayed December 2012
Seremban, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hotel has very nice paddy field view and kampung flavour. Highly recommended for couples and families. Lovely hotel. Reasonable price. Good location. Room is clean. No TV and complimentary bottled water. Breakfast is not included but you can go to the restaurant to order.
Highly recommended if you want to stay in Ubud.

Room Tip: Super deluxe room is nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Just came back from staying here with a group of friends. It was awesome, best views, nice spacious rooms and probably the best service I have ever experienced from the staff. They were always willing to help with whatever we were after and always so friendly and down to earth. Food from the restaurant was tasty, and getting breakfast delivered in the morning was really enjoyable. We also loved the massages, and would get them every night in our rooms before bed.

Would definitely recommend to anyone travelling to Ubud!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ballina, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have stayed here several times and recommended Tegal Sari to heaps of others and not sure I should be posting a review on here as its hard enough to get a booking as it is and this will only serve to make it more popular. However, trip advisor is how I originally discovered it so thank you trip advisor! Tegal Sari have built more rooms in the last year and are currently building more so hopefully I won't have difficulty in the future securing a reservation!

Tegal Sari's super deluxe room are amazing, beautiful large and spacious clean rooms with 4 poster beds overlooking the rice paddy fields. Such a peaceful and calm place to be. The staff are gorgeous and only to willing to do anything for you and always with a huge smile on their faces and a hello when u pass them. Great location as you walk through the lane and it goes straight onto monkey forest road and to my favourite cafe, 'Bibianu' where u must eat if in Ubud.

The pool is only small but cute and quiet and u can have a massage in the gorgeous gardens next to it!

If you want to go for a more upmarket and even more spacious room, then book one of the villas. The villa for 2 people is just divine, a little more expensive but cheap in comparison to other properties of same quality. Only negative is, the bigger 3 bedroom villa next to it overlooks the pool so if its skinny dipping or privacy you're after you won't get it around that pool unfortunately! If they could solve that problem I would rate it 12 out of 10!

I can't wait to go back to Tegal Sari and wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed December 2012
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was sitting on the balcony of room 14 which is one of the duplex units looking over the rice fields as the rain pored down on my last day and reflected on my my latest stay at Tegal Sari. This was my 2nd time, and felt sad that I had to leave. The staff really make this complex what it is. I was always greeted with a smile and a friendly hello by each and everyone of them. Whether a coincidence or not, I was given the same duplex room that I had 3 years ago. Almost like going home.
The duplex rooms overlooking the rice fields have a lower and upper balcony and I used both frequently. Upstairs there is the large bed with WC and downstairs is where they have the shower, another toilet and large Jacuzi tub.
Since my last visit, they have extended considerably with a several new vilas, which are not advertised on their web site. They are however mostly for larger families and have their own swimming pool and close to Monkey forest road. They also built a large town room which I imagine would have amazing views but would suit backpacker mostly. Cheaper and without any room service unless paid for separately. I was told that they built this structure so the staff could stay there, but as it turn out, they don't use it that much. Warning, it's quite a walk up the stairs on the outside. It looks like a lighthouse from the outside, and there is a winding starecase that takes you to the room which i'd estimate to by 50-75 feet up in the air. I can only imagine the views.
They have also opened a restaurant on Monkey Forest road which is at the rear of the complex. Pretty good, but there are so many options to choose from.
The big difference between the visits is the fact that they no longer include breakfast, which is not an issue, but they did this instead of putting up the nightly rates. I paid the same this year as I did 3 years ago. So many other options around the complex that I wasn't worried. Mind you, I still had breakfast in my room on the upper balcony a few time.
They also provide a car and driver to take you to some of the bigger tourist attractions through Bali. They drivers are easy to talk to, and explain so much throughout the trip. At writing, it was roughly $6 per hour. Very reasonably. There is also a menu of traditional dance that they will take you too. If required, they will pay and put the charge on the your bill and pick you up after the show. All very entertaining, but ask the staff which ones they would recommend that night as they do differ nightly.
Only negative would be the mosquito net around the bed. When the light is on in the room, it does look a bit worne and dirty, but that's it. Don't worry if the towel look a bit gray, anywhere else i've stayed in Bali is pretty much the same. Must be the water.
They also own the spa and they will drive you there. I had a 2hr massage and facial for $20. Can't get better than that.
Anyway, not much more to be said. It's my favourite place to stay in Bali and any time i'm in Ubud, I will always go back.
Too my friends at Tegal Sari, thanks for a lovely time, and hopefully see you in another 3 years.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
penang
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is a great gem. Service is good, and the front desk staff is really good. The 4 rooms we had were very clean and comfortable, with most amenities provided. Breakfast is not included in the room rate, but we ordered the breakfast set, which is from 40,000 to 65,000 Rp. Good value.

The ambience is great. We arrived on a rainy day, and we saw frogs in the garden, and groups of ducks in the padi field. I saw squirrels in the trees outside the carpark. There is a garden with a pond outside our room.

This is a super relaxing place to stay in! There are shops and places to eat/drink nearby. The only downside is that you have to pay immediately to secure your booking, instead of paying upon check in. But payment is easy via credit card or bank transfer.

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment. Am told this hotel is usually fully booked.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tegal Sari? Share your experiences!