We just came back from 5 nights in Payogan hotel in Ubub !
And even if we had a wonderfull time in Ubud, I will tell you why I would NOT recommend this hotel.
1) Payogan is "far" away from Ubud (15 to 20 minutes drive) which would not be that much of a problem if the hotel would organise a proper shuttle system. There are a few free shuttles during daytime but the timing is completely inconvenient and we always ended up by taking a taxi. Not that much expensive, for sure, but I think that it could be so easy for this classy hotel to make us forget that it is hidden in the middle of nowhere !! Not a good point.
2) There is building work going on for the time beeing and I think it will last for a "little while" as they are constructing new bungalows. Nobody tells you when you book ! Not a good point at all. I was so upset when I saw that our room with private pool was just over construction work (as are many of the rooms with pool). Excuse was : "But Madam, work only begins at 9 am and ends at 4 pm, so what is the problem ?" (hum, not good at all). In the end, we have been upgraded to the suite (wonderfull room, but from my point of view the least they could do)... And work was also going on close.
3) When we arrived, we did not even had time to sip our welcome drink that the guy in charge insisted heavily to sell us guided tours in the countryside and paddy fields for a price of 20 dollars a head (!!!). We really did not appreciate that took us for "idiots" as we ended up trekking daily everywhere for 4 or 5 hours very easily by ourselves WITHOUT any other guide than our guide book !!! Same with the spa (there are good spas everywhere in town for half as expensive). Not a good point at all.
4) Breakfast did not meet the standards of a supposed 5 star hotel : very basic. Not lots of choices (in bread for ex). Not even good fresh fruit juices and the mouthpieces of the juce distributors were disgusting (dirty). As well as vegetables were cold (not enough heated) every single day. Not a good point.
5) Dinner : Hardly anybody having dinner there. The restaurant looked like a phantom ship. Why ? Of course much too expensive for Ubud when you know that there are plenty of very good restaurants in town for half the price. Did they think people would stay at the hotel because the last shuttle leaving was at 8 pm ? Not a good way to attract customers and a real pity because the place was really beautiful.
6) Maintenance was needed in our friends room (toilet flush, TV, door handle). Despite insisting, nobody came to repair all over our stay... After a while, we just let it go...
And I could go on like that for several pages (not enough towels, no body moisturiser... but a new toothbrush every day (?) etc.).
Often small details but which can make a huge difference between wonderfull memories and a sense of unfullfilment...
Knowing all that, do not hesitate to negociate very hotly.
BECAUSE, ON THE OTHER SIDE, architecture, decoration, rooms, beds, bathrooms, gardens, private pools are just breathtaking and soooo beautiful. Such a pity, that we left feeling that the hotel was some kind of neglected or not ruled with enough professionalism for a 5 star or going to bankrupty (?) !!!
Not good value for money if you pay full price. So again, negociate or go somewhere else. There are plenty of nice places in UBUD !
Ask to visit the rooms and be very carefull about the construction work going on.
Rooms with privat...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.