“Absolute heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel

You added The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel to your Saves list
The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Goa Gajah, Tengkulak Kaja, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia (Formerly The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah a GHM Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Absolute heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

This place is magical. The entire resort is just stunning with gorgeously appointed villas and suites. The staff could be any more accommodating or helpful. The food offering is fabulous. I am in love with this place and will continue to stay here on my next Bali visits.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent visit to The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah.

We are of course delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and my team was particularly happy to receive your gracious compliment.

We are of course looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Bali.

Alain Bachmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Why come here?
1. Unique and atmospheric : this place has history and culture, romance and charm. It is NOT a chain experience, which is refreshing
2. Very lovely, traditional architecture and a generally well appointed resort
3. Small - just 20 rooms, creating an intimate and quiet feeling even when full
4. Truly spectacular grounds and setting, ponds, paddy fields, gardens
5. Lovely spa, but not "spa focused". No obligation to be a yoga fetishist .....
6. Excellent personal touches (complimentary laundry, tea, cocktail hour etc). Delightful.
7. Close proximity to Ubud Central, with a complimentary shuttle service on demand and cars available all the time to shuttle to and from - felt like having your own chauffeur

What would I change : not much, but
1. Watch out for updating being needed for Villa 1 especially, and soon - eg bathrooms, blinds, cupboard doors etc. The whole resort will need a refresh (eg taps, loos) in the not too distant future if it wants to compete with the new arrivals in Ubud
2. Make service levels more consistent. This absolutely let the resort down. Details below
3. One tiddly but annoying thing we all commented on : the large ceramic bowls of shampoo / conditioner etc are completely impractical - it's clear that they get dropped in the shower and it's impossible to get anything out of them .... Please change to something easier to use (and where I can be sure I'm not sharing it with the previous guest ...)

We stayed at Chedi Club for five nights in August. We were a party of six, two adults in one pool villa, my husband, myself and our 11 year old in Villa 1, the two bedroom house, and my 15 year old son in his own pool villa. I had looked at the room layouts well in advance and asked for us to be close together, and the hotel were very accommodating. Lots of free water, good free wifi that worked quickly and well. Each rom had tea and coffee making facilities, with plenty of milk (a real treat in Bali).

The pool villas are great - actually easier to manage than the big villa unless you really need the space. Each pool was lovely and clean, private and secluded, with great seating outside. The rooms themselves were very nice (though I would add one more chair myself). Bathrooms were excellent and well supplied with towels and amenities.

The main house (villa 1) is genuinely lovely, but slightly more worn and dated than the villas. The aircon in the master bathroom dripped on the floor, which was slippery, and some of the Venetian blinds are beginning to show their age, and are not the easiest way of stopping the light. As others have commented, you are close to nature here. You will have geckos, toads and insects, and if you have villa 1, you will have bats as well. They live in the living room's exceptionally high ceiling and are not a problem but watch out for a little bat poo in the morning, and I'd recommend keeping the bedroom doors shut. None of this was a problem for us - and part of the reason why we picked this property was because we didn't want a formulaic "Four Seasons" experience. Also, be aware that Villa 1 is not as private as the other villas - the private pool can be viewed from the main pathway. Not a problem again, but worth being aware of if your plan is skinny dipping at sunrise .....

My only complaint about the hotel was that the service was strangely patchy. The butlers are a super idea, and work well. We had three of them, and they all did an excellent job. But we had hugely patchy service in the restaurant, particularly at breakfast. They were all very apologetic about it, but it was in sharp contrast to, for example, Alila's service levels. One morning, breakfast took over an hour to get sorted, for no apparent reason.

This is a lovely hotel, and we came to it from an impossibly fantastic private yacht experience beforehand, so Chedi was always going to have a hard time living up to that. However, it delivered what we wanted, which was a peaceful, beautiful and unique experience in more traditional surroundings, enabling us to get a taste of this part of Bali. Job well done!

Room Tip: Villa 1 is the only two bed. Comments are above. Note that the second bathroom only has an open-air...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your most detailed feedback and for recently staying with us at The Chedi Club Ubud.

The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your gracious compliments to your butlers.

However, I felt sorry and would like to apologize that the restaurant service was not up to standards at times. In fact, we believe our guests deserve an ever-improving service so we appreciate you mentioning this matter. I have already discussed it with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager to ensure the service timing is significantly improved at all meal periods.

Thank you again for your visit and we would very much enjoy welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Abu Dhabi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Nothing was too much trouble for the charming and welcoming staff at the Chedi Club. Chef Dean ' s food was excellent and the rice field, where we watched fireflies and were serenaded by frogs was a very special place in which to enjoy it. The monkey dance, which men of all ages from the local village took part in, was magical and our villa, with its own pool and gorgeous local furnishings was exquisite. We did not want to leave and are already planning a return visit! This is the second Chedi property we have visited and while the two are very different, both have incredibly high standards of comfort and service, beautiful design and truly wonderful staff.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for you recent visit to The Chedi Club Ubud and for sharing your feedback with us. We appreciate your loyalty towards GHM and thank you for being a valued Chedi return guest.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed your compliments to Chef Dean and the entire team who are already looking forward to welcoming you back very soon !

Best wishes,
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Properties like the Chedi Club Ubud are more than hotels — they are retreats…destinations…an oasis. From the moment we entered and were greeted by our personal butler, it felt like we were a world away from the bustle of Bali (yes, that’s saying something!). The villas are nicely spread out, the pool area made the property feel entirely your own and the restaurant facing the rice paddies was so serene. I loved the daily complimentary happy hour and appreciated the use of a mobile while we were out in the town. During one of the happy hours, we got to talking to the head chef, who was a super friendly guy. He offered to make us a custom Indonesian lunch on our last afternoon and that remains one of my most memorable meals in Bali! If I am forced to nitpick, I would say our butler, while good, lacked a bit of personality. Also, I noted that other guests received bags of Ubud rice upon departure and we were so excited to receive that! However, our butler either forgot or didn't give it to us, so we left a bit bummed.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recently staying with us at The Chedi Club Ubud and for sharing your feedback.

We are happy to learn that you much enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your compliment which I have passed to Chef.

I do apologize for your butler missing on presenting you the farewell gift. This should of course not happen. Please do let us know your address and we would be delighted to ship it to you - with a little added surprise.

Again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

This is a delayed review from my stay in March 2014.

I must say that this review will sound biased because I got engaged here, but honestly this hotel is the most beautiful property in the world. Having traveled extensively I can say that if you book this it will be worth it!

Each villa is assigned a butler, ours was Jun, and he was one of the loveliest people. Attention to detail and service is outstanding, to a point which makes you feel like royalty. The people at this hotel is what makes it. Jun thank you so much for everything you did on our trip - you truly made us so welcome and we had a wonderful stay.

Being a vegetarian it is always tricky, but Chef Dean came out every evening to make sure I was happy with the food. His food is so delicious! I've never met someone so passionate about food and making sure you like it. Even the simplest of dinners he presented beautifully and the taste was mouthwatering! The afternoon tea at 4pm is also a lovely treat, whether you have it in your villa or by the pool.

The manager Simon is also a delight and the fact that he comes out to greet you is amazing, I believe my fiance liaised with him before we flew out there too which is nice.

Ok now to the hotel - every picture you will see is real, this place defines beauty. It is set amongst a paddy field and it is worth speaking to them about how this works and how they use the rice which is made. Honestly when you see this place you will be speechless because it is like heaven. The rooms are fantastic, very spacious, and the outdoor bathrooms are beautiful. Yes there are insects but you are in a tropical place so go well prepared, but your butler will set up the insect/mosquito repellents for you in the evening. Each villa is beautiful, we had a one bedroom villa without a pool but we did not need a private pool because the main pool is stunning, and the hotel feels very quiet. There was some building work going on at the time, but if I am honest we hardly noticed it.

I would recommend a spa treatment, the spa overlooks the paddy fields so you have the most peaceful and relaxing view and the service is once again outstanding.

Although the hotel is a little far from Ubud town, they can provide you with a taxi service and at night the hotel provides you with a phone to call back for a taxi which is a lovely touch. Ask your butler for restaurant recommendations - he will be honest in terms of authenticity if you want true indonesian food.

I have been to Bali before and hence booked a day trip for white water rafting, coffee plantation, volcano visit etc in Ubud centre - I find this a lot cheaper to do. As you are walking around in Ubud by the market and monkey forest you will see many tourist/travel/tour booths - they are pretty reliable and cheap (make sure to haggle!)

If you are going to the markets then again just be warned, you really need to haggle. Some of the market sellers can be quite pushy and rude but just be aware that you are in Bali and haggling is necessary - it is a fun experience and some of the stalls have beautiful artwork and crafts!

I will definitely be returning here because I genuinely don't think there is a place more beautiful & tranquil.

Final tip - ask your butler to take you on a paddy field tour!

Thank you to everyone at the Chedi Club Tanah Gajah for an unforgettable experience!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for your recent visit to The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah Ubud and for taking the time to sharing your detailed feedback.

We certainly enjoyed your gracious comments and compliments and it is a great pleasure to pass them on to our employees. The team is thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you again for being our valued guest.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

The Chedi Club in Ubud has set a new benchmark for us on many levels. The beautiful, peaceful setting is enhanced by the incredibly friendly and efficient service. We split our stay with a trip that required a 4am trip to the airport and there we were, with a fresh breakfast box, being driven to the airport by a cheery driver absolutely on time.
Congratulations to all the staff for making this place superb.

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read your review and that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for having chosen The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah for your recent visit to Ubud.

We are happy to learn that your morning transfer went smooth and hope to be able to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Shutford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Where do I begin, My stay here was so good I could write a 5 page paper on all of the good points! But I will just say...wooooow it's so nice. If I could live here I would, hopefully with the pool boy haha! Maybe once day

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your amazing feedback and for having chosen The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah Ubud for your recent visit.

We are of course delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have taken the liberty to pass your compliments to the entire team.

We look forward to seeing you again at The Chedi Club in the not too distant future.

Alain Bachmann

Been to The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel? Share your experiences!