You added The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel to your Saves list
The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Goa Gajah, Tengkulak Kaja, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia (Formerly The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah a GHM Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Offers & Announcements
A FREE NIGHT ON US!
Ranked #21 of 144 Hotels in Ubud
San Francisco
“Top of the Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

At first I was slightly skeptical of all the glowing reviews on tripadvisor of the Chedi Club. But, now I am a believer. Stayed here for 4 nights in November, and it is without a doubt the best serviced resort I have ever been to; and I have been to a few 5 star ones. If you are looking for understated luxury and service, then you chose the right resort. Our butler, Pardee was fabulous, making sure all our needs were met and also through in a few pleasant surprises during our stay. Loved the pool services, free high tea, and free evening cocktails. Everybody that worked there were pleasant with smiling faces.

We chose to have romantic rice paddy dinner and it was the best setting I have ever had the chance to eat in. The entire field was lit with candles and there were even some fireflies paying a visit during our wonderful dinner. Oh yeah, the food was fabulous too.

My only qualm was that the bathroom was outdoors, even though there were no mosquito problems. But this is only a very slight negative, far outweighed by the positives.

I don't think there are enough superlatives to describe this hotel. If you are thinking of staying here. Do it! You wont' regret it.

I stayed at the one bedroom suite and thought it was great. Didn't really need the private pool villa as their was a huge pool that was never too busy!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This place is absolutely stunning - the gardens are truly fantastic, with lily ponds and statuary, etc. But on other fronts, it has its ups and downs.

PROS: It's all about the gardens. We had the simplest type of villa, but it was comfortable (world's most comfortable bed) and this place prides itself above all on those small gestures - fresh fruit each day, snacks, an iPod loaded up with music (including classical and jazz) and a built-in stereo, a decanter of whiskey (all complementary). Plus, you get a "personal butler" - who, in our case, was a slightly bewildered looking guy whose chief purpose seemed to be folding towels up into little elephants and leaving them on our bed the last night (which was actually kind of charming.) They even hand you a little packet of rice from the hotel's paddies as you leave.

CONS: The gym, for a place that's all about "spa treatments" and "health and wellness" is pretty weak. There's a small rack of dumbbells, four cardio machines (one, a treadmill, didn't seem to work) and a cable all-in-one machine. That was about it. I've seen more ambitious gyms in the Holiday Inn in Paramus, NJ. The little touches were there, though - endless towels and flavored iced teas, etc. I felt a bit like Marie Antoinette, though, lifting weights while looking out on the "scenic" rice paddies where some local was killing himself, bent over, planting rice seedlings in the heat and sun. The bigger problem is the restaurant. This is a fancy-pants, expensive hotel - they never let you forget it. And the food at the restaurant is good, if you like things a bit fancy. But the prices, if you decide to eat anything beyond the free breakfast, are outrageous. Everything you order costs exactly THREE times what it would at a good restaurant in downtown Ubud. If you ask for water, you get asked "still or bubbly" and it costs US$5 per tiny bottle. That's annoying - and it's the price of a cab ride into town every time you get thirsty. All I wanted was tap water - or whatever. Not a tiny bottle imported from Italy. Above that, there's no vegetarian menu. There is exactly one vegetarian entree, and it's obviously an after-thought - eggplant parm, or a small pizza. That in a big menu with tons of meat dishes. The chef pays lip service to customizing dishes for you - but he doesn't really mean it. The waiter wrote down carefully that I was vegetarian and asked me about whether I ate eggs and all that - I do, I'm pretty easy-going. But then for the "afternoon tea" I was sent pork satay. Thanks, guys. All the stress on personal butlers and service and so forth raises expectations to dizzying heights - and then they let you down. Even the breakfast menu is about meat and seafood. I ended up eating eggs every day - that's about all there was to choose from....but it's pretty, and the help was friendly if a bit bumbling.

Part of me got fed up and wished I were in Ubud. The hotel gives you a free taxi in before 6 pm, and after that they encourage you to call them for a ride home. That would be a mistake because it would cost exactly THREE times what a local cab would cost - and there are cabs everywhere in Ubud.

On the other hand, lying around that beautiful pool, it was hard to complain. I found myself taking endless Instagram photos of all the flowers and statuary. But there was a pang of guilt when we rode out in a taxi to Ubud and saw - right outside the hotel gates - an Indonesian family bathing in the gutter by the road, happily shampooing each other - and I realized the two of us were the only people using the magnificent infinity pool within the gates. Indonesia is a poor country, and this hotel sort of rubs it into your face - especially with that restaurant and those absurd prices - that you're being spoiled in ways that are a little too much.

Room Tip: It's super-expensive. We got a good deal with American Express and took the minimal room and it...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback. I am glad you had an enjoyable time despite some issues you encountered during your stay with us.

I would like to apologize to you for not meeting your expectations regarding our vegetarian options. I will make sure to work together with our culinary team on this and provide a bigger variety of vegetarian dishes.

For the prices in our restaurant, we do consider them to be competitive compared with other luxury hotels in our location, but i will keep your comments in mind during future menu changes.

Regarding the gym, yes, at the moment we do not have the most modern equipment and I fully agree with what you have mentioned. It is in our plans for 2013 to replace all the equipment; we should be able to do that soon in the coming year.

The Chedi's club benefits include free transportation to Ubud during the day. The ride back to the hotel in the evening is offered as a convenience so as to not have to look or wait for taxis, and the cars, being more comfortable and driven by our own staff, are priced reasonably in line with what these services are valued at.

Thank you again for your feedback. It is appreciated and we hope to welcome you back to The Chedi Club.

The Chedi Management Team
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

stayed there one night in spa villa just amazing. my bulter yuni was amazing . the room is just amazing and saw the dance in the evening followed by dinner. it is ubud and must stay for anyone coming to bali. it is in rice fields and it is amazing to walk in the fields . they have all facilities and great collection of art. i rank it no1 in all my stays at leading hotels all over the world. yu must stay one night once in yur lifetime. spa my wife did was amazing.

Room Tip: try to take a room with spa and i liked the room no2 and no3
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Bali has so many luxury hotels but we never regret about our choice to put all the 3 nights in Bali at Chedi. We stayed in a pool villa with amazing paddy fields view. Every morning we wake up in the sound of duck, and every evening frog. The whole property is beautifully decorated with trees, flowers, as well as antiques. Villa itself is extraordinary. Private pool is amazing and very relaxing, and you can choose to soak yourself in the pool all day long. The Tuesday dance performance is a remarkable experience. The hotel may not have the best food in Bali, but it definitely has the restaurant with best environment. The two musicians performing in restaurant play marvelous Bali music.
Our butler is quite young and a little bit shy. We might not get many travel information from him, but were impressed everyday by his creativeness of decorating our bed...He prepared a nice flora bath for us on our arrival, however I expected it everyday:)
In a word, Chedi gave us a memorable honeymoon in Bali. Although very short, but really amazing. Thanks to everybody working there.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Really lovely hotel. Read other reviews suggesting the pool villa is the way to go and agree - we had three nights in a suite and 3 in the villa. Suites are lovely, but the pools are amazing.

Every one at the hotel makes you so welcome, always greeting you by name with a warm smile.

The grounds are so peaceful and relaxing. If you need to unwind and get away from it, go here. If you want the opposite, try Seminyak! We had an afternoon there - having lunch at the Legian, which is really nice, but Seminyak is just opposite of Ubud that it makes you long to get back to the Chedi.

At the hotel spa I recommend the Bali massage. We did the couples one. They have the doors open looking over the fields - stunning.

Ubud is worth going to for dinner and drinks a few times for a change of scene. Lots of great places. Shopping pretty good. Hotel has a free shuttle, but cab is only US $5.

With one of the 3 for 2 offers it's really good value, considering free breakfast, drinks, tea, cocktails and transfer.

Have you booked yet?

Room Tip: Splurge on a villa. We stayed in 11, no views of the fields but very secluded.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We have just spent 6 nights at the Chedi and it has been the most relaxing stay. The resort is beautiful, well layed out with manicured gardens and a cultural feel. Our spa villa was very comfortable and all the inclusions and complimentary 90 minute daily massage was such a treat. The resort is surrounded by farms and rice paddies and the restaurant overlooks these and receives a lovely, cooling breeze all the time. The food was excellent and the presention was stunning! Well done Chef Dean! Simon the General Manager personally made us feel very welcome, and our butler Pasek was incredible - always there when you needed him but never intrusive. The Kacek dance on the Friday night was wonderful and worth seeing and I also did the art class with Bruce which was truly fantastic! Nothing was too much trouble for the team here. I got bitten by a monkey at the monkey forest (dont go there anymore as the monkeys have become quite aggressive) and a Chedi car shuttled me around from forest to the International Clinic, waited, then took me back to the resort, all at no cost. I would say this is the best venue in Bali if you are looking for 5 star accomodation!!

Room Tip: If you choose a spa villa you get a 90 minute massage every day, and you can still swim in the resor...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is the only wow will out from my mouth, from the moment step into the resort you like going to a dream!! Just beside the main road but you couldn't even knew that there's a traffic moving out there and the place is incredibly amazing.

The moment we reach the reach out butler already standing on the entrance to welcome and take our luggages to buggy and heading to the resort lobby and we're welcome by another 2 staffs in the receiption and the check in process is fast and out of the expectation the Pisang Goreng (Banana Fritters) we serve is still hot!!!!!!

We were guided to tour the resort and leading to our room and the butler is offered to unpack the luggage for us (this the first time we receive such service and make us feel like a VIP) . We had a spa room and the room is wonderful, every corner of the room is unique and place with balinese crafting and so spacious and well design from a relax lounge, audio area, dining table, spa room, private suana room, outdoor shower and bathtub to a lovely bedroom.

We ate mostly in the resort including lunch and dinner and a romantic paddy fields candle lite. The food is so delicious and amazing service even I'm a vegan the restaurant staff or even the executive chef was cracking their head to arrange special meals for my candle lite dinner. I would like to personnally thanks the Exe. Chef - Dean, Rest. Manager - Ketut and the staff Darma for the warm and lovely service during our stay.

During our dinner, we ask our butler to provide us some local attraction for reference and within minutes she had prepared a list of activities that available for us to choose and a special itinery was printed for our record and we chosen to take a look into the local balinese artworkshop for tomorrow. And we had our 1st stop at wood crafting follow with silver and gold factory and batik boutique and factory before we stop at the historical temple (Pura Samuan Tiga) and our last stop at Bridges for lunch. The whole journey is so smooth and memoreable from the moment go into the car we were serve with a warm towel and bottel of water and over the journey we were always served with cold towel and cold water and this is really refreshing especially during the noon time when the weather is extremely hot and throughout the journey the driver we explaning the balinese culture, history, places and even we're sharing our families stories. Thanks you Fit (the driver) we appreciate your lovely service.

A special thanks to Yuni (butler) for the arrangement.

The only minor complaint will be the rainforest shower in the villa as the shower is lack of power and is merely feel like a raindrop instead of rainforest shower.

This is definately a wonderful experience that I couldn't get from other highend resort/hotel and we already missed The Chedi Club by now. I'll recommended this resort and we will coming back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
The Samaya Bali
#5 of 144 in Ubud
5.0 of 5 stars 1,209 reviews
Komaneka at Rasa Sayang
Komaneka at Tanggayuda

Been to The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel? Share your experiences!