“Tropical Paradise in Ubud” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Uma by COMO, Ubud

You added Uma by COMO, Ubud to your Saves list
Uma by COMO, Ubud
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Raya Sanggingan | Banjar Lungsiakan, Kedewatan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 132 Hotels in Ubud
Brisbane, Australia
“Tropical Paradise in Ubud”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Being at this resort is like escaping into a tropical paradise - mornings of yoga and interesting tours, languid afternoons by the pool, drooping tropical plants, views out over the valley, and perfect food and drinks to accompany it all.

We had a four night stay and it was not long enough. Before arriving I asked for a (paid) room upgrade half way through our stay so they were kind enough to upgrade us from the beginning.

Our villa was beautifully prepared and executed with a private infinity pool flowing over the deep valley and river below.

Service was fabulous with everybody keen to impress but one of the absolute highlights was the food and drink - so unexpected.

Organic this, and healthy that there was something to please my yoga loving, raw food eating partner and omnivore me. Healthy, fresh, and delicious - some of the best food on the trip by far and easily the best in Ubud.

We enjoyed the bespoke tours and lounging by either our own pool or the big pool depending on the time of day.

The free yoga morning and afternoon and other activities like guided walks were a bonus.

And do take the opportunity to take the free trip to Como Shambala for lunch - my fussy partner rated it ten out of ten.

A great stay and highly recommended!

Room Tip: The pool villas are superb.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear PeterParadiseBay,

Thank you for staying with us and writing such a wonderful review.

It is a delight to read that you enjoyed your stay and felt like escaping into a tropical paradise. COMO Cuisine is always one of the strongest elements of our guest's experiences and I am glad that you loved the combination of the freshness and taste of our food and drink. Our daily yoga class, rice paddy morning walk and our COMO Shambhala spa are also wonderful and I am happy that you had the opportunity to experience them.

I trust that we will meet you again very soon.

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed here 2 nights after staying at another hotel and couldn't help but compare the 2 hotels. Uma lost out on most.
1) service: although their service was still good, they weren't as warm and hospitable maybe because there were a lot more guests staying here. Some of the staff didn't speak English as well as they should so it took a few attempts to get things done. We wanted to book dinner at Glow restaurant in their sister hotel 20 mins away but was given the wrong information that the restaurant was only open at lunch but not dinner. We booked then found out later that it was open for dinner and we had to reschedule all our plans again. We had reserved our table at 7.30 and was told to wait in the lobby at 7 for our transport there. However, no one came until I asked about it again at 7.15 did they arrange for the transport. Apparently they had forgotten about it.
2) the room was small but cozy. We had the garden room with 2 arm chairs at the balcony but did not really go outside as the grass was high and was unkempt. It looked like they have not tidied the area and left it ungroomed. We had one of those rooms where there was a connecting door to the next room and from the garden, you can look in on your neighbours so it was not very private. Luckily we had no neighbours during our stay.
3) the last shuttle from town is at 5.10pm and will have to pay for cab after. Although it is relatively cheap, some other hotels provide free shuttle at anytime (reasonable hours of course).
4) everything was very commercial and minimalist. its similar to budget airlines where you need to pay extra if you want this or that as compared to full fledged airlines. Bring your own toothbrush.
5) Pool is def too small for the number of guests that they have. Almost every sunbed was used (about 18) and no space to waddle if everyone goes into the pool.
6) Spa was great, many choices to choose from, esp the facials.

Because of the price range, more is expected from Uma and there are many hotels in the area that gives better value for your $

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Ccrasher,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments about your 2 nights stay with us.

I am sad that we couldn't meet all of your expectations. We highly appreciated your feedback and we will learn from it. We have received hundreds of very inspiring good comments about the services provided by our team, hence your constructive feedback is very useful for us to keep improving ourselves.

I trust that you will give us a second chance and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This was our first stop on our honeymoon and they set the bar high! Ubud is just a fantastic place and this hotel is in a great location. Really cannot beat the tropical picturesque backdrop. I wouldn't put them as a five-star hotel because they lacked some of the service that you would expect (our room didn't get turn down service 2 of the 4 nights we stayed). Everything else including the breakfast and dinners were spectacular!

Room Tip: Get a room with a pool - worth it!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kelly M,

Thank you for choosing Uma by COMO, Ubud to be your first destination for your very special honeymoon.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. However I am concerned to read your experience on our the turn down service. I investigated this issue with our Housekeeping team and I am affraid it must be a misunderstanding from our team. During their conversation with you our Room Attendant had an understanding that in these particular 2 days you didn't want your room to be turned down. We will learn from this and ensure we communicate better with our guests.

Your great comments and your constructive feedback is highly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma Ubud.

Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Uma was so nice from all points of view that I cannot see how good the other hotels in Ubud can be. Despite looking more oriented for romance and couples, Uma was great for our little family. There is nothing I can judge negatively; I have been blown away by the quality of the service end-to-end, from check-in to check-out. Everything was kindness, smile and efficiency. The property and the grounds were amazing. The bedroom, though I believed we booked the simplest, was great. It was decorated harmoniously, and the bathroom was superb. The breakfast was fabulous, no matter you picked salty or sweet items. The fitness room was small but with good equipment and super clean. On the two breakfasts we had, Sika who looked to be the restaurant manager spent a great deal of time telling us about the good things to do in the area. Another thing I liked is the following: our boy of 7 years old was quite tired and would not wake up in the morning to go to Breakfast. Without we even mentioned it, they noticed he was not here, and when we told them the reason, they immediately offered to pack for us everything he needed to have a decent breakfast when he woke up. Another sign of quality service: on the day we checked out, we spent a few hours at the pool before we left. As soon as it started raining, the staff was running all over the place to offer umbrellas. And to close, I will say that the location is very good, and you can get to the centre of Ubud very quickly with their shuttle. Needless to say Uma is highly recommended.

Room Tip: We had room 23 and we loved it, it was super clean, beautiful and felt very private.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear MaBoyOmar,

It is always a delight to read such positive comments, but it is so encouraging to read a touching story made by our guests and our team.

I am glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we are particularly happy knowing that you were well looked after by our team. I will pass your positive comments to Sika which I am sure it will motivate him.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you and family back to Uma Ubud.

Los Angeles, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I stayed here for a week, from May 25-31, 2014. This is the second time I've stayed at this property, to lead a yoga retreat, and am so happy that I chose this property again.
For those new to Bali travel, the choice of where to stay can be overwhelming, given the different price points, accommodation style (hotel, villa rental, airbnb, etc.), and atmosphere.

Here are my top reasons to choose Uma by Como:

-Excellent location: Easy access to Ubud town (free resort shuttle or ~$US3 for cab), but far enough away to enjoy peace and quiet.

-Great Food: Two onsite restaurants (Italian and Asian Fusion) and a poolside lounge with a well-edited menu. Daily brunch at Kemiri is always outstanding, with healthy choices for serious spa-goers, and more indulgent items for gourmands of every stripe (French Toast with mango curd, for example). We loved the morning green juice!

-Cool, tropical style: Design sensibility is simple and chic, as opposed to bare bones passing as stylish. Terraces are amply spaced, the white-on-white design is aesthetic is actually comfy despite its magazine-layout appearance. Property landscaping is lush and full of intriguing corridors and colorful flora. The bathrooms are truly luxurious, stocked with coveted Como Shambhala toiletries.

-Excellent spa/yoga facilities: Two beautiful, indoor-outdoor yoga spaces with polished wooden floors and real yoga props -- lack of these details can be a deal breaker when choosing a yoga destination. A fantastic spa with wonderful treatment choices and talented therapists.

-Attention to Detail: While there are many comfortable places to stay in Ubud, the primary distinction in price boils down to service and attention to detail. Uma staff are very good at remembering guests' names, which makes the resort feel personal, intimate. When I arrived at my room, there was a phone/room-number list of everyone in my retreat group, placed on my bedside table. The restaurant staff remembers your menu choices and preferences, and often anticipates what you want beforehand.

-Casual-cool atmosphere: This resort seems a good fit for health-conscious, style-savvy people in their 30s-60s, who are comfortable spending upwards of $US280/nt for a luxury hotel, and want to avoid the honeymoon-cocoon or rarefied-air atmosphere of a Four Seasons or Aman resort. It's "boutique" in the best sense of the word, and a welcome alternative to the mega-resort chains around Nusa Dua...and soon to be in Ubud (We saw a MASSIVE Ritz-Carlton under construction on the Ayung River banks).

-Amazing swimming pool: Centerpiece of the resort. A huge, infinity-edge pool perfect for an afternoon dip, lounging with friends, or quiet nighttime laps (though it technically closes at 9pm).

Few negatives:
-I wish the resort were 100% non-smoking. While I didn't spend much time on my terrace, a guest in an adjoining unit was smoking on his terrace, and I could smell the smoke.

-Though my Ubud Room (#1) was beautiful and functional, the curtains did not shut properly, due to improper tracking.

-Expensive airport shuttle: For a group of five people, Uma charged ~$US90 one way from Denpasar airport to the resort. A normal shuttle taxi costs about $US30. I suppose this is the norm for upscale hotels, but perhaps a few extra amenities in the shuttle (cold towels, bottled water, snacks) would make it seem like better value.

I would definitely book here again, either as a solo traveler or with a group. The Como Shambhala chain has created a well-defined niche for the upscale, independent-minded traveler who wants luxurious comfort but not total isolation from surrounding culture. I've also stayed at their Metropolitan Hotel in Bangkok. Overall, Uma by Como is a great place to detox your system, or to indulge your inner sybarite. Or possibly, both.

Room Tip: For a better view, choose a Terrace Room over a Garden Room, which is more enclosed.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear DKYoga,

It is always a pleasure to have you staying with us. We are very grateful that you have chosen Uma as your retreat venue for twice already and we look forward to have more collaboration in future.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and your kind recommedation, I am sure it will inspire a lot of travellers to make their decision to stay with us. Your constructive suggestions are highly appreciated and we will look into those areas seriously.

Once again, we look forward to having the opportunity to host your yoga retreat again in future.

With very best regards,

Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Had I written the review on the first day or two it would have been a perfect stay.

GROUNDS:
The property is compact, the lounge area is fantastic. The hanging flowers make it a dream to hangout. The internet access is quite good for Indonesia. The pool is very beautiful.

SPA:
I got a pedicure which was about $50 before tip and left me unimpressed, I can get a good pedicure for $15 in Honolulu, seemed expensive and went very fast. I had a massage scheduled for the evening that I was going to cancel but after calling COMO they did not have any bookings so I decided to go ahead with it and I am glad I did. One of the best massages I have had, got a 90 minute which was very relaxing.

ROOM:
We stayed in the Water Garden Room, #17. The courtyard opens with two rooms on either side, the right was the bedroom and the other side is the massive bathroom. Off of the bedroom is a patio with two chairs and a mini garden. The turndown service each night turns the bed into a cozy cocoon surrounded my mosquito net. We did not see a lot of mosquitos while we are there but this is due to the fogging of pesticides each week. We did however encounter a massive (6 inch grasshopper) in the bathroom, I was not in the mood to deal with it so I tipped the grounds staff $10 to get rid of it for me.

The only two issues we had (which influenced my review) were:

1. NOISE FROM KIDS: We typically would turn in early and enjoy reading or checking emails from bed as we unwind for the day. One night I heard yelling from the pool (Room #17 is very close to the pool) at first I thought there was a fight, then it became obvious that it was just kids playing aggressively in the pool. I let it go for about 20 minutes before I called the front desk. I asked if they were aware of the disturbance at the pool, they replied "The pool closes in an hour and then it will quiet down". I then asked "Is this level of noise acceptable?", I honestly do not remember their exact response but it was to the effect of they are just kids. Needless to say I was quite disturbed by their response and tone. About 10 minutes later I got dressed and went to find the manager. They were slightly more quiet but it was not until the pool closed that the noise died down. I really felt this ruined the entire evening. I would not have expected this at this hotel.

2. UNFRIENDLY SEND OFF: We had requested a late checkout when checking in which we thought was confirmed. On the 5th day there about 11:45am we got a call from the front desk asking if we were out of the room yet, we replied we thought we had a late checkout, they said they had no record of this and that we had to be out of the room in 15 minutes. We unfortunately had not packed our bags yet so we had to rush to pack our bags. We were about halfway done and the doorbell rang, we called out that we were almost done packing but the doorbell kept ringing. We rushed to get the bags out and went to the front-desk to checkout. They seemed upset with us and after checking out did not say any pleasantries such as "Hope you enjoyed your stay" or "have a safe return" "come see us again"... nothing. (I want to point out, I tipped nearly every staff member I came across with 50K IDR ($5USD) and so I would think after dropping over $150 in tips I would have purchased a "thanks for staying with us".

Despite the makings of a great stay, I highly doubt that I will return.

Room Tip: We stayed in 17, this was right next to the pool so we could hear the kids playing in the pool one n...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear robertholf,

It was a pleasure having you staying with us and thank you for sharing your experiences as well as your very constructive feedback.

We are delighted that you loved our garden, room, pool as well as our COMO Shambhala spa. However, we are saddened to learn that one of your evenings you were disturbed by our young travellers. Please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to give you a nice last impression on your last day. Your constructive feedback is highly appreciated and we learn from your experience to ensure this will not happen again in future.

Please do come back and I will be more than happy to assist you personally with your future booking.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We did a one night stay at Uma Ubud and we loved every minute of our stay! We had the pool villa - it was simply beautiful. Bed was comfortable, room was spacious, view was fantastic and service was great. Shame we missed out on the yoga class because we were there only for 1 night (would definitely try next time) but we did the morning rice field walk and it was lovely. Breakfast was healthy and tasty. Location was superb (close to the town centre, only a short drive away to Bebek Bengil and Warung Babi Guling Ibu Oka, as well as other famous restaurants such as Mozaic). The staff would happily make reservations for you and try to get you a good table.

We brought our 2.5 year old daughter and she also had a lovely getaway. The staff were always very friendly to her, the dip pool in the villa was the perfect way for her to spend the afternoon while we relaxed with delicious drinks brought to our room, and even for the little fussy eater, breakfast was a winner. The staff happily accommodated her needs including a much appreciated late check out so she could nap at the villa before we ventured out some more.

So thank you Uma Ubud (and GM Pak Suteja) for such a wonderful stay. We will definitely be returning another time.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Poki2509,

It was a pleasure meeting you and family during your short stay at Uma and thank you for sharing your experience.

It is a pity you missed the yoga class, but it will give you another reason to come back. I am glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy our rice paddy morning walk. Our healthy breakfast has always been an highlight. We are delighted that you found our team always friendly and accomodating.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma.

Resort Manager

Been to Uma by COMO, Ubud? Share your experiences!