“Tropical chic...all in the details” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Uma by COMO, Ubud

You added Uma by COMO, Ubud to your Saves list
Uma by COMO, Ubud
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Raya Sanggingan | Banjar Lungsiakan, Kedewatan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Special Price
Stay 3 Nights, Pay for 2
Ranked #6 of 136 Hotels in Ubud
Los Angeles, Ca
“Tropical chic...all in the details”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I stayed here for a week, from May 25-31, 2014. This is the second time I've stayed at this property, to lead a yoga retreat, and am so happy that I chose this property again.
For those new to Bali travel, the choice of where to stay can be overwhelming, given the different price points, accommodation style (hotel, villa rental, airbnb, etc.), and atmosphere.

Here are my top reasons to choose Uma by Como:

-Excellent location: Easy access to Ubud town (free resort shuttle or ~$US3 for cab), but far enough away to enjoy peace and quiet.

-Great Food: Two onsite restaurants (Italian and Asian Fusion) and a poolside lounge with a well-edited menu. Daily brunch at Kemiri is always outstanding, with healthy choices for serious spa-goers, and more indulgent items for gourmands of every stripe (French Toast with mango curd, for example). We loved the morning green juice!

-Cool, tropical style: Design sensibility is simple and chic, as opposed to bare bones passing as stylish. Terraces are amply spaced, the white-on-white design is aesthetic is actually comfy despite its magazine-layout appearance. Property landscaping is lush and full of intriguing corridors and colorful flora. The bathrooms are truly luxurious, stocked with coveted Como Shambhala toiletries.

-Excellent spa/yoga facilities: Two beautiful, indoor-outdoor yoga spaces with polished wooden floors and real yoga props -- lack of these details can be a deal breaker when choosing a yoga destination. A fantastic spa with wonderful treatment choices and talented therapists.

-Attention to Detail: While there are many comfortable places to stay in Ubud, the primary distinction in price boils down to service and attention to detail. Uma staff are very good at remembering guests' names, which makes the resort feel personal, intimate. When I arrived at my room, there was a phone/room-number list of everyone in my retreat group, placed on my bedside table. The restaurant staff remembers your menu choices and preferences, and often anticipates what you want beforehand.

-Casual-cool atmosphere: This resort seems a good fit for health-conscious, style-savvy people in their 30s-60s, who are comfortable spending upwards of $US280/nt for a luxury hotel, and want to avoid the honeymoon-cocoon or rarefied-air atmosphere of a Four Seasons or Aman resort. It's "boutique" in the best sense of the word, and a welcome alternative to the mega-resort chains around Nusa Dua...and soon to be in Ubud (We saw a MASSIVE Ritz-Carlton under construction on the Ayung River banks).

-Amazing swimming pool: Centerpiece of the resort. A huge, infinity-edge pool perfect for an afternoon dip, lounging with friends, or quiet nighttime laps (though it technically closes at 9pm).

Few negatives:
-I wish the resort were 100% non-smoking. While I didn't spend much time on my terrace, a guest in an adjoining unit was smoking on his terrace, and I could smell the smoke.

-Though my Ubud Room (#1) was beautiful and functional, the curtains did not shut properly, due to improper tracking.

-Expensive airport shuttle: For a group of five people, Uma charged ~$US90 one way from Denpasar airport to the resort. A normal shuttle taxi costs about $US30. I suppose this is the norm for upscale hotels, but perhaps a few extra amenities in the shuttle (cold towels, bottled water, snacks) would make it seem like better value.

I would definitely book here again, either as a solo traveler or with a group. The Como Shambhala chain has created a well-defined niche for the upscale, independent-minded traveler who wants luxurious comfort but not total isolation from surrounding culture. I've also stayed at their Metropolitan Hotel in Bangkok. Overall, Uma by Como is a great place to detox your system, or to indulge your inner sybarite. Or possibly, both.

Room Tip: For a better view, choose a Terrace Room over a Garden Room, which is more enclosed.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear DKYoga,

It is always a pleasure to have you staying with us. We are very grateful that you have chosen Uma as your retreat venue for twice already and we look forward to have more collaboration in future.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and your kind recommedation, I am sure it will inspire a lot of travellers to make their decision to stay with us. Your constructive suggestions are highly appreciated and we will look into those areas seriously.

Once again, we look forward to having the opportunity to host your yoga retreat again in future.

With very best regards,

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Had I written the review on the first day or two it would have been a perfect stay.

GROUNDS:
The property is compact, the lounge area is fantastic. The hanging flowers make it a dream to hangout. The internet access is quite good for Indonesia. The pool is very beautiful.

SPA:
I got a pedicure which was about $50 before tip and left me unimpressed, I can get a good pedicure for $15 in Honolulu, seemed expensive and went very fast. I had a massage scheduled for the evening that I was going to cancel but after calling COMO they did not have any bookings so I decided to go ahead with it and I am glad I did. One of the best massages I have had, got a 90 minute which was very relaxing.

ROOM:
We stayed in the Water Garden Room, #17. The courtyard opens with two rooms on either side, the right was the bedroom and the other side is the massive bathroom. Off of the bedroom is a patio with two chairs and a mini garden. The turndown service each night turns the bed into a cozy cocoon surrounded my mosquito net. We did not see a lot of mosquitos while we are there but this is due to the fogging of pesticides each week. We did however encounter a massive (6 inch grasshopper) in the bathroom, I was not in the mood to deal with it so I tipped the grounds staff $10 to get rid of it for me.

The only two issues we had (which influenced my review) were:

1. NOISE FROM KIDS: We typically would turn in early and enjoy reading or checking emails from bed as we unwind for the day. One night I heard yelling from the pool (Room #17 is very close to the pool) at first I thought there was a fight, then it became obvious that it was just kids playing aggressively in the pool. I let it go for about 20 minutes before I called the front desk. I asked if they were aware of the disturbance at the pool, they replied "The pool closes in an hour and then it will quiet down". I then asked "Is this level of noise acceptable?", I honestly do not remember their exact response but it was to the effect of they are just kids. Needless to say I was quite disturbed by their response and tone. About 10 minutes later I got dressed and went to find the manager. They were slightly more quiet but it was not until the pool closed that the noise died down. I really felt this ruined the entire evening. I would not have expected this at this hotel.

2. UNFRIENDLY SEND OFF: We had requested a late checkout when checking in which we thought was confirmed. On the 5th day there about 11:45am we got a call from the front desk asking if we were out of the room yet, we replied we thought we had a late checkout, they said they had no record of this and that we had to be out of the room in 15 minutes. We unfortunately had not packed our bags yet so we had to rush to pack our bags. We were about halfway done and the doorbell rang, we called out that we were almost done packing but the doorbell kept ringing. We rushed to get the bags out and went to the front-desk to checkout. They seemed upset with us and after checking out did not say any pleasantries such as "Hope you enjoyed your stay" or "have a safe return" "come see us again"... nothing. (I want to point out, I tipped nearly every staff member I came across with 50K IDR ($5USD) and so I would think after dropping over $150 in tips I would have purchased a "thanks for staying with us".

Despite the makings of a great stay, I highly doubt that I will return.

Room Tip: We stayed in 17, this was right next to the pool so we could hear the kids playing in the pool one n...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear robertholf,

It was a pleasure having you staying with us and thank you for sharing your experiences as well as your very constructive feedback.

We are delighted that you loved our garden, room, pool as well as our COMO Shambhala spa. However, we are saddened to learn that one of your evenings you were disturbed by our young travellers. Please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to give you a nice last impression on your last day. Your constructive feedback is highly appreciated and we learn from your experience to ensure this will not happen again in future.

Please do come back and I will be more than happy to assist you personally with your future booking.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We did a one night stay at Uma Ubud and we loved every minute of our stay! We had the pool villa - it was simply beautiful. Bed was comfortable, room was spacious, view was fantastic and service was great. Shame we missed out on the yoga class because we were there only for 1 night (would definitely try next time) but we did the morning rice field walk and it was lovely. Breakfast was healthy and tasty. Location was superb (close to the town centre, only a short drive away to Bebek Bengil and Warung Babi Guling Ibu Oka, as well as other famous restaurants such as Mozaic). The staff would happily make reservations for you and try to get you a good table.

We brought our 2.5 year old daughter and she also had a lovely getaway. The staff were always very friendly to her, the dip pool in the villa was the perfect way for her to spend the afternoon while we relaxed with delicious drinks brought to our room, and even for the little fussy eater, breakfast was a winner. The staff happily accommodated her needs including a much appreciated late check out so she could nap at the villa before we ventured out some more.

So thank you Uma Ubud (and GM Pak Suteja) for such a wonderful stay. We will definitely be returning another time.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Poki2509,

It was a pleasure meeting you and family during your short stay at Uma and thank you for sharing your experience.

It is a pity you missed the yoga class, but it will give you another reason to come back. I am glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy our rice paddy morning walk. Our healthy breakfast has always been an highlight. We are delighted that you found our team always friendly and accomodating.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

It is difficult to fault this understated yet classy resort. The pool villas are perfect - I could live in one! Situation is great for great restaurants like Mozaic and Indus as well as numerous pampering places. You will love the breakfast with different and delicious choices. Would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Juweejane,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experiences.

The Pool Villa is a great choice for those who look for comfort, great understated design and georgous view to the river valley.

Please return to Uma and we look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the pool villa four nights with my husband and young children.Very peaceful environment .You can relax your mind and say good bye to your stress .They serve a very good breakfast in Kemiri .The staff was very helpful and kind .You can always see them with a smiling face . We will come back again .

• Stayed April 2014
Dear KellyHiewYeoh,

Thank you for your recent stay at Uma and I am glad that you have a wonderful family time.

We are delighted to know that you had a relaxing stay and found our hotel peaceful and more importantly you experienced our team as helpful and kind one.

I trust we will see you again very soon, we look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Room was awesome. Big Bang for your buck. Rooms should be more than 500/night. Awesome experience all around. Food and service at hotel perfect. Management extremely accommodating for any need. Would absolutely go back and not change a thing. Maybe stay longer.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Jesse S,

It was a pleasure to have you staying with us recently and thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you had a great time.

We look forward to welcoming you back and next time please stay longer.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

When we booked this hotel I knew its a good place. But how good we came to know when we walked it. Been to many Hotels round the world with good service but at COMO UMA it's to a different level. There are hotels where staff remember you by ur name. But at COMO on the first-day when we were having breakfast one of the staff came to us called my 2 and half yr old daughter by name and asked her if she wants anything.
They upgraded us to terrace rooms, and be realized if we wouldn't have upgraded what we would have missed. every room got a garden and after the garden its a jungle cliff and far down in the valley you can hear a stream. so if anyone planning to stay plz tr to get terrace rooms.
The location is very good, just outside the hotel there are lot of art galleries and good food places round. If fact 3 of the top 10 famous restaurant are just 100 meters away. Naughty Nuri, is just 1 minute walking distance from the gate.
The hotel food was good, bed was awesome front office staff was really really nice, pool was good. No complains. Made our holiday special.

Room Tip: Try to get the terrace rooms. They are awesome. opens to the valley and green jungle.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Traveling-elephants,

We love the title of your review... it's COMO.

It was a delight to read your comments and we are grateful that you had a wonderful family time with us. Uma has been blessed with its location giving us the balance between the tranquality of place being in the middle of jungle and lush gardens and the accesibility to many interesting places, such as good restaurants, museum, temples, and village lives.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma very soon.

Resort Manager

Been to Uma by COMO, Ubud? Share your experiences!