“A Peaceful of Mind and Soul.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Uma by COMO, Ubud

Save Saved
You added Uma by COMO, Ubud to your Saves list
Uma by COMO, Ubud
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Raya Sanggingan | Banjar Lungsiakan, Kedewatan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Ubud Family Adventure
Ranked #7 of 119 hotels in Ubud
Uthai, Thailand
“A Peaceful of Mind and Soul.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

After a long hard working I rewarded myself to escape to Bali. It was no plan or any booking in advance but I rather prefer to stay at Uma Ubud for its well-known of COMO estate. I wish to stay at this hotel many years ago but have not a chance to make it. So this is a right time I decide to spend almost US$335 for only one night to experience the thing that I dream to. It was paid and meets my satisfaction. I did a yoga in the afternoon then sip the tea in the evening at my balcony . Every moment I was calm, relax, clean and spend a night on bed without Air-conditioned to soak up the jungle atmosphere. At sunrise I joined the morning walk around Ubud area. The total experience that I recall was peaceful and like a meditation for my mind.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
COMO-GSM, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Kangeleno

Thanks for writing such a humbling review of your stay with us at Uma. We hope that you'll come back and stay with us again, perhaps longer.

With very best regards

617 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Spontaneously with two weeks notice I booked a week at Uma as a 30th birthday present for my daughter. Despite the additional cost involved in changing our flights we extended for a further 24 hours - both of us wished it could have been longer. We were not the only ones, a solo guest told us she had doubled her stay by extending for 4 days; while another couple told us they come back each year. So what is it that made us all feel like this? It's Uma heaven. Uma has everything - but most of all it's the staff who, every last one of them, are warm, caring, and gentle and offer just the right amount of attentive service which appears seemlessly and in a timely manner anywhere within the hotel grounds. They are also willing to share their stories allowing you to gain a sense of place. Our 'room' and bathroom were a generous size yet intimate in feel, the garden is nurturing and nurtured. The pool refreshes and the spa is a luxury hard to resist. Like most other travellers I carry a camera, but photography is also my profession, and although intended as a holiday the day trips we made found me pressing my shutter release in a way I only do for work - often and in a very happy way as subjects spontaneously appear to tell a story of different lands. It's impossible not to be inspired by the cultural side of Bali, particularly that in close proximity to Uma. I made the first of my seven trips to Bali forty years ago and thought I had found paradise in the warmth of its people, the hurricane lamp light dirt streets and seemingly endless rice fields. Much has changed but at Uma the spirit of the people and their pride of place has not been lost. Uma offers an invitation to reflect, relax and revive. (Widely travelled this is the first time I have been moved by a hotel enough to want to write a review.)

Room Tip: Room 26 has it's own small pool and is on the very edge of the view to the river and tranquil tr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear anaustralian

What can we say when 'thank you' doesn't quite seem enough but anything more seems to lack sincerity?

At Uma, we strive to be discrete and uncomplicated, stylish and effortless. We know that Uma is not for everyone. But for those wanting a genuine, culturally-rich experience of Ubud and Bali, we hope that we offer that in abundance. Your review makes us feel as if we've achieved that.

So thank you for spending time with us and for enriching us with your appreciation - we can't wait for you to return.

Merry Christmas to you and Em

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

The Uma Ubud is a magical place. As honeymooners we were upgraded to a beautiful suite with a koi carp pond entrance which which gave our room a real sense of the exotic. The bathroom had a big tub in the centre of the room and a section which is open air. The bedroom was lovely too and the exotic fruit was exquisite. The interior of the hotel was beautifully executed throughout. The staff were friendly, the food was good, I can see that they have adapted well to constructive criticism in the past as breakfast is two courses and ample. It's always reassuring to see a hotel value and respond so well to its customers.
There were only two minor problems for us - the pool was too cold & the abundance of Mosquitos.... But we would highly recommend the hotel and stay there again in a flash.

• Stayed June 2012
COMO-GSM, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear pamelajaneabroad

Your review is very much like how we like to approach Uma - uncomplicated and elegant. Thank you for enjoying your stay with us.

Our guests, and your satisfaction are paramount to us. So I also thank you for recommending Uma by COMO, Ubud to travellers considering this amazing corner of the world.

Indeed, the shade experienced at our main pool has received recent comment. So I'm delighted to advise you and our future guests that the trees have been pruned to make way for additional sunlight to heat the water and provide ample sunbathing. We have also ramped-up our mosquito-management schedule to ensure our guests enjoy a comfortable stay.

Congratulations again. The entire team and I wish you many happy holidays together

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just finished a 3 night stay at UMA after a week in Australia and let me say that UMA exceeded all of my (high) expectations. The entire staff could have not have been more pleasant and helpful in making my girlfriends and me's short time in Bali a memorable one, The grounds are immaculately kept and our room was beautiful. Wanted to say thanks to the entire staff and management we interacted with -- you are the best --- We will most definitely be back :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
COMO-GSM, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear trmncsu91

It really was our pleasure to host you both. So, it's maybe more appropriate for us to say thank you to you for choosing to stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the time you've taken to reccomend Uma by COMO to other readers.

Wishing you an easy trip home.

Best regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I arrived for a 3 day stay and it was my very first visit to Bali. Boy- I could not have asked for a more pleasant first trip to Indonesia - primarily thanks to Uma Ubud!

The moment we came thru the hotel entrance, we were enticed by this beautiful sanctuary in Ubud. The staff immediately greeted us with huge warm smiles and cold towels - very much needed as it was quite humid during mid-afternoon when we arrived.

To help make my first visit to Bali even more fabulous, we were told by the staff we were upgraded to the suite (from a garden view room)! We stayed in suite 40 -- It was such a lovely villa with a private pool and outside sitting area. We can even see squirrels running up and down the trees! The room itself was HUGE with a spacious bathroom - separate bathtub and and outdoor shower area. Also have a separate living area station and a big size plasma tv with DVD player. The room was beautiful and airy, I didn't want to leave our villa to be honest!

The only down side is that insects and bugs seem to get into our room easily - one late night after stepping out the shower, I found a big bee flying inside the bathroom area and struggled with it for half hour before finally chasing it out of our room. Also- the outdoor shower, although nice and with bamboo protective curtain -- but not sure if it offers enough privacy and security, as I find while walking outside our villa and looking down from public stairway, I can see to our outdoor shower stall. Just a kind feedback for the hotel management to consider for the future?

The breakfast, as mentioned by other reviewers, is a la cart style and you select options - one for cereal, one for main plus coffee and your choice of regular orange juice or the "juice of the day". I strongly recommend the latter - go for the juice of the day! It is refreshing, delicious and the highlight of each day's breakfast for me :) I agree it is very wise to offer this a la cart option instead of typical buffet style to minimize food waste, but also for good health and well-being to avoid over-eating :) Breakfast choices are abundant, covering Asian/Balinese options as well as western fares, all are scrumptious and wonderful. Make sure to have the yogurt with dried fruit & nut -- highly recommend it!

The hotel offers complimentary yoga class and morning walks, the former we did not have chance to partake unfortunately since we woke up too late, but we did take the morning walk one day which takes us thru side routes leading to rice fields and can see ducks, rice paddy and local houses along the way. Total walk time about 45 minutes and its a good mild workout - once back at the hotel you can treat yourself to a tasty breakfast!

The hotel staff is very friendly, hospital and helpful in giving us travel tips and dining suggestions not only for Ubud area but also in Kuta and Seminyak. They always greet us with huge warm smiles around the hotel property whenever we see them.

The hotel itself has a wonderful relaxed vibe and tropical feel due to the lush plantation. There is also a big koi fish pond by the breakfast restaurant and it's joy to feed the fishes after our breakfast, just ask the restaurant staff for some bread/fish food which they will happily provide.

A special thanks to the entire Uma team and Mr. Suteja the resort manager and Mr.Marc the guest services manager. Thank you for your warm greetings on the day of our arrival and also on our departure day from Ubud. You have made our stay a fabulously pleasant one, our home away from home, a tropical oasis in Ubud. We can't wait to be back soon!!

• Stayed November 2012
COMO-GSM, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Airliadreama

Thank you for your detailed and generous review of Uma by COMO, Ubud.

I'm delighted to read that your stay with us was, on the whole, a memorable one for all the right reasons. It's a pleasure to know that once our guests have returned home, and taken up their daily lives again, that they still think fondly of their time spent with us at Uma.

Thank you for sharing with the Tripadvisor community your hints and tips on staying with us. Our koi fish also say thank you for their full bellies and for encouraging future guests to keep up your tradition.

Indeed, Bali is a tropical island and wildlife is abundant here. And while we do have a pest control programme in place at Uma, it is also respectful of the natural eco system. I'm also happy to advise that our gardeners are busy re-planting as I type, ensuring additional privacy to our valued guests.

Again, thank you and safe travels

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was my first trip to Bali. I wanted to stay in Ubud so I could be near the major temples and the mountains. Uma Ubud was the perfect place! The Bali airport is an intimidating experience for a first timer. I emailed the hotel prior to my arrival to arrange a car. They were very responsive, which was quite impressive. Once I arrived into the airport in Denpasar Bali, the host was waiting for me at arrivals and escorted me to the car. THey had a wet towel and water waiting for me, which I appreciated since I didn't realize how far away Ubud was from the airport (about an hour and 1/2 to 2 hours depending on the traffic!)
Once I got to the hotel, I was greeted personally by one of the managers who gave me some great information about the shuttle to Ubud center and what was going on that night. At his suggestion, I attended a Balinese dance performance at Ubud palace, which I enjoyed very much. They have a schedule of activities at the hotel for guests including a daily walk, yoga and tours. I took a tour which included a driver and a guide. We saw quite a bit in one day including the monkey temple, 2 other temples, a silver workshop, an organic coffee and spice farm and a volcano. All for $35 USD (minus entrance fees), which was a really good price I thought.
The property itself is gorgeous! Very elegant and serene pool area. Breakfast is served outside with a surrounding koi pond. It is not buffet style, which is a smart choice and allows for a more elegant and sanitary presentation which I appreciated. Room service was great too. The menu is not large, but most dishes are fresh and healthy. The lentil burger and coconut milk pancakes are delicious.
Each room has the feel of being it's own villa which is lovely. THe inside of the rooms is absolutely stunning. Huge bathroom with separate tub and shower; terrace with a gorgeous view of what is basically the jungle; Four poster king bed with mosquito netting (which is essential). My only gripe is the shower. It's open, airy and actually outside. Design wise, I love it. It's still in the bathroom and its amazing. However, for practical reasons, not so amazing - it was actually a den of mosquitos and other insects which was not appealing to me. I stuck to the bathtub.
Service was excellent, too. When I wandered around the property, various hotel employees greeted me by name, which is always a nice touch. THey are also very responsive and fast acting. There was no request I made which was not met with expediency. That level of service is what distinguishes Excellent hotels from Good hotels.
Overall, the Uma was a great choice. One of my favorite hotel experiences from my Asia travel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
COMO-GSM, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear GetawayNYCGirl

What a pleasure it is to read your review of your stay with us and to learn that you enjoyed almost every aspect of the experience at Uma by COMO, Ubud.

Your review is wonderfully thorough and I hope that many future guests look to your review as a genuine account of what was clearly a delightful few days in Bali. From all of us here at Uma, thank you for enabling us to facilitate this experience for you. We look forward to your return, as well as welcoming future guests who choose to stay with us as a result of your generous review.

Wishing you safe travels, GetawayNYCGirl

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had a very relaxing stay here for 3 nights in June. The hotel villas are set on a series of terraces overlooking the surrounding jungle and paddy fields. I imagine that each had been designed as our villa felt; beautifully secluded, quiet, light and airy.

The main town is a fair but pleasant walk (about 40 minutes, with a few inclines); there are also some small craft shops and restaurants within a couple of minutes walk from the hotel.

We generally found it quite hard to remove ourselves from hotel; fresh juices at the bar by the main pool, great breakfast, good food generally, a fantastic little spa, and the staff were all so charming and polite. Oh, and free wi-fi.

Very reluctant to leave, it was the perfect place to recharge. I hope we’ll be back again soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GolbertoAndJorge

To read that you had difficulty peeling yourself away from Uma is wonderful to read.

The entire Uma team, I'm sure, join me in thanking you for enjoying your stay with us. We also thank you for taking the time to share your memorable experience at Uma by COMO, and Ubud, and look forward to welcoming you back to another COMO property soon.

With very best regards

Guest Services Manager

Been to Uma by COMO, Ubud? Share your experiences!