“Ultimate Bali Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Uma by COMO, Ubud

You added Uma by COMO, Ubud to your Saves list
Uma by COMO, Ubud
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Raya Sanggingan | Banjar Lungsiakan, Kedewatan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #5 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
New York, NY
“Ultimate Bali Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was my first trip to Bali. I wanted to stay in Ubud so I could be near the major temples and the mountains. Uma Ubud was the perfect place! The Bali airport is an intimidating experience for a first timer. I emailed the hotel prior to my arrival to arrange a car. They were very responsive, which was quite impressive. Once I arrived into the airport in Denpasar Bali, the host was waiting for me at arrivals and escorted me to the car. THey had a wet towel and water waiting for me, which I appreciated since I didn't realize how far away Ubud was from the airport (about an hour and 1/2 to 2 hours depending on the traffic!)
Once I got to the hotel, I was greeted personally by one of the managers who gave me some great information about the shuttle to Ubud center and what was going on that night. At his suggestion, I attended a Balinese dance performance at Ubud palace, which I enjoyed very much. They have a schedule of activities at the hotel for guests including a daily walk, yoga and tours. I took a tour which included a driver and a guide. We saw quite a bit in one day including the monkey temple, 2 other temples, a silver workshop, an organic coffee and spice farm and a volcano. All for $35 USD (minus entrance fees), which was a really good price I thought.
The property itself is gorgeous! Very elegant and serene pool area. Breakfast is served outside with a surrounding koi pond. It is not buffet style, which is a smart choice and allows for a more elegant and sanitary presentation which I appreciated. Room service was great too. The menu is not large, but most dishes are fresh and healthy. The lentil burger and coconut milk pancakes are delicious.
Each room has the feel of being it's own villa which is lovely. THe inside of the rooms is absolutely stunning. Huge bathroom with separate tub and shower; terrace with a gorgeous view of what is basically the jungle; Four poster king bed with mosquito netting (which is essential). My only gripe is the shower. It's open, airy and actually outside. Design wise, I love it. It's still in the bathroom and its amazing. However, for practical reasons, not so amazing - it was actually a den of mosquitos and other insects which was not appealing to me. I stuck to the bathtub.
Service was excellent, too. When I wandered around the property, various hotel employees greeted me by name, which is always a nice touch. THey are also very responsive and fast acting. There was no request I made which was not met with expediency. That level of service is what distinguishes Excellent hotels from Good hotels.
Overall, the Uma was a great choice. One of my favorite hotel experiences from my Asia travel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
COMO-GSM, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear GetawayNYCGirl

What a pleasure it is to read your review of your stay with us and to learn that you enjoyed almost every aspect of the experience at Uma by COMO, Ubud.

Your review is wonderfully thorough and I hope that many future guests look to your review as a genuine account of what was clearly a delightful few days in Bali. From all of us here at Uma, thank you for enabling us to facilitate this experience for you. We look forward to your return, as well as welcoming future guests who choose to stay with us as a result of your generous review.

Wishing you safe travels, GetawayNYCGirl

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had a very relaxing stay here for 3 nights in June. The hotel villas are set on a series of terraces overlooking the surrounding jungle and paddy fields. I imagine that each had been designed as our villa felt; beautifully secluded, quiet, light and airy.

The main town is a fair but pleasant walk (about 40 minutes, with a few inclines); there are also some small craft shops and restaurants within a couple of minutes walk from the hotel.

We generally found it quite hard to remove ourselves from hotel; fresh juices at the bar by the main pool, great breakfast, good food generally, a fantastic little spa, and the staff were all so charming and polite. Oh, and free wi-fi.

Very reluctant to leave, it was the perfect place to recharge. I hope we’ll be back again soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GolbertoAndJorge

To read that you had difficulty peeling yourself away from Uma is wonderful to read.

The entire Uma team, I'm sure, join me in thanking you for enjoying your stay with us. We also thank you for taking the time to share your memorable experience at Uma by COMO, and Ubud, and look forward to welcoming you back to another COMO property soon.

With very best regards

Angeles City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Uma, you did it again.

Since we stayed 6 days this time, I will spend a bit more time writing this review in detail. It is not my first time at UMA, and it will also definitely not be my last since I love this place which I call ‘’My Balinese Home Away from Home’’ !

Overall this stay was ''picture perfect'' for us. We had great weather in the rainy season, and we stayed again at UMA. From the moment we arrived until the somewhat sad moment that we got in the car going to the airport, we had the Best Time Ever.

The resort itself is quiet; the entire garden of UMA is what I call 'jungle style', lots of plants, trees and nice flowers everywhere. Super Landscaping in my opinion!

Then the rooms we stayed in: for a few nights we had the luxury of a private pool (UMA Pool Suite), wow, fantastic!! We then moved to a Terrace room, also very very nice with a view of the valley in front! Try waking up early, get onto your terrace around 530-6am and you can see the early morning ‘clouds’ in the valley and hear the birds chirping in the trees. There’s nothing better than that.

The resort restaurant Kemiri deserves to be listed everywhere in the top of good restaurants, I can recommend it to anyone either staying at the hotel or as an outside guest. Whether you choose a light salad with raw tuna or the corn cakes as appetizer, everything is simply delicious. One evening as main courses we had the Red Snapper and myself the Wagyu Beef Rendang style, and again wow, as a gourmand I can assure you that if you love good food, you will love these dishes !! Combine it with a nice glass of Wine and I say, ‘’Could You Ask for Anything More?’’.

Breakfast at Kemiri deserves another special mentioning, it is simply the best breakfast I’ve ever had anywhere during any of my trips! A La Carte Breakfast, try the Bircher Muesli, then the Bread and Pastry Basket (with homemade jam and honey) accompanied by a Special of the Day Juice (a healthy and tasty mixture of fruits, fantastic) and a coffee to your liking! What a Difference this Breakfast Makes! What a Way to Start your Day!
Needless to say after all this eating we also ‘hit’ the UMA Gym every day to burn some calories again! Not too big but good solid Life Fitness equipment and enough free weights for everyone to enjoy a good workout! If you don’t want to use the gym, the UMA pool is also ideal to do some laps, it’s a big and very nice pool. For Yoga lovers there is a class I believe but I have not tried that yet.

The resort Staff is simply the Best, a Place ‘’where everybody knows your name’’. So friendly, accommodating and attentive, really I cannot say anything else but Congratulations to All Staff! You’re the Best! They make you feel like you’re at home and the service comes with a smile!

I hope I have given a bit of insight into UMA, try it, see if you like it. We liked it for sure, and will be back for more! UMA, it keeps getting better and better !!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
COMO-GSM, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear WorldTraveller196420

Your review says it all!
All I can say to complement what you've written is that it is always a sincere pleasure to welcome you back to Uma. Of course, we're delighted that you enjoy what we do so much!
Thank you for writing about so many of the details of Uma, and for encouraging others to try what clearly is a special place for you. We'll do our utmost to keep it that way and continue to welcome you back, Uma style.

Safe travels to you both, and genuine thanks, again.

Marc Lacoste & the entire Uma Team
(Guest Services Manager)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We recently stayed for 4 nights and were very pleased with the hotel. It is set just a little out of town away from the hussle of central Ubud but only a short cab ride away for convenience.

The pool was beautiful and very relaxing and the bedrooms great, really well furnished with a terrace and garden - bigger than ours at home! Which made the room feel very private.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful, we enjoyed the free early morning walk around the nearby paddy fields. Also the great breakfast menu!

The only quibble we had is that in the in-room literature the hotel recommended not paying more than 300,000 INR for a cab into town but when asking them to book them for us they wanted to charge US$5 each way. However, if you walk to the end of the drive it is easy to hail a cab, often for 200,000.

Despite this a great hotel and a real oasis in Ubud.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
COMO-GSM, Manager at Uma by COMO, Ubud, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Nailbiter1

Thank you for sharing your experience of Uma by COMO with fellow readers. We appreciate your sincere comments and I'm happy to read that you enjoyed our facilities and service culture during your stay.

In addition to our 5 times daily complimentary shuttle service, we also offer our guests private transfers in Uma cars with Uma drivers at a minimal cost of US$5 for the 6 minute transfer into Ubud town centre. I'm sadened to learn that this charge for a premium service was unreasonable to you. For future guests considering staying in Ubud, please note that Ubud does not have registered taxi services. Instead, private drivers and private cars (of varying quality and safety) are easily hailed on the streets where fares are negotiated between driver and hirer.

Sincere thanks for your review.

Best regards

Southeast Asia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was a bit skeptical at the beginning, thinking that Uma hotel is a hotel with an attitude, just like its sister hotel, The Metropolitan London. How wrong I was!

The Staff are genuinely friendly and pleasantly professional. The F & B Menu is very health conscious. Yoga seems to be the big thing in the hotel.

We had the Pool Suite down at the far end of the hotel and it was just like having our own little heaven with our very own garden. The going up and down the stairs can be quite tiring though, but this does not stop us from liking our villa. We are happy that finally we found our favorite place in Ubud. We shall return!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear traveladdict12

Knowing you'll be back to stay with us is the ultimate compliment. Thank you.

Our entire team join me in wishing you an easy and safe journey back to us.

Maputo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had an unforgettable stay at Uma recently. This is the perfect place to unwind and relax. We experienced first hand the attention to detail that is placed in everything from the extremely well appointed room, to the wonderful spa, the magnificent gardens and swimming pool. Everything is designed to make you feel special. Even the invigorating fragrance that permeates the place is stylish and lavish. Last but not the least, all of the above is complemented by prime quality staff that spoiled us with smiles and first grade service. A special mention should be made to the Kemiri restaurant and its exquisitely delicious cuisine. Certainly a place to return and recommend to our friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bitarod

Thank you for your review and for your genuine recommendation of Uma to the Tripadvisor readership.

I'm delighted that you had the opportunity to experience much of what we have to offer here at Uma, and that, most importantly, it was our staff that made the bggest impact during your time spent with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma by COMO, Ubud.

Best

La Turbie, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

First step into the hotel and we knew it's a perfect honeymoon getaway. Awesome restroom in villa overlooking the amazing paddy field and tropical jungle. Everything at this hotel is so perfect, spotless clean room, absolutely fresh lush landscaping. Everyone is so warm and friendly. Food at the hotel is good. Thank you to my partner for this amazing fab holiday gift, and Trima kaseh Uma.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sama Sama April L

It was our pleasure to show you this wonderful location.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope that your time spent with us remains a very fond memory for many years to come.

Guest Services Manager

Been to Uma by COMO, Ubud? Share your experiences!