“My worst meal of the year” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #351 of 430 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Vietnamese
San Francisco, California
“My worst meal of the year”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

After driving by and seeing a cute cafe, 3 friends and I decided to eat dinner at Indotopia. We all love Vietnamese food and couldn't wait to eat some Pho.

The Atmosphere is nice, a bit odd, but actually reminded me of some of the little eateries I loved going to in Vietnam. I thought this might be a signal of good authentic Vietnamese cuisine but I was mistaken. We ordered several fruit shakes, but they seemed to be out of 75% of the ingredients (and no, I'm not talking about ordering Mango shakes when they are out of season- they were out of ordinary fruits, like pineapple.) My friends opted for canned drinks, which was a much better decision than mine, the fruit shake I ended up with was off, and tasted fermented.

On to the food: we had fresh spring rolls (they were out of fried) and they were awful. The chicken tasted old and very dry, the veggies were far from fresh, and there weren't any fresh herbs (cilantro or mint or basil.) The only saving grace was a large dish of sauce that was nicely spiced. The special of the day, tuna steak was so bad we couldn't even swallow it. The fish was old, and there was more deep fried batter than fish. I can't imagine how that could resemble a 'steak' in anyone's mind! The Pho broth was bland, noodles overcooked and mushy, meat was tough. The accompanying plate of garnishes can only be described as pathetic. Chilis and sliced limes were brown and hard, certainly not cut recently. The bean sprouts were old and withered, a few were even growing mold!

The waitress was sweet enough, but there wasn't much she could do about so much bad food.

To sum things up, this was the worst food any of us has had in a very long time. After paying we were ready to eat another dinner elsewhere. I can't imagine a reason to go back with so many great restaurants in Ubud.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Amsterdam
“Nice little restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Had a nice time at this Vietnamese restaurant.

It is a nice place to relax and the vibe is good.

The juice was very good, The small bowl of Pho (only 24.000) was big enough for a nice meal and there were some fresh herbs and pieces of lemon to put in the soup, the meat was tasty too. So far so good.

But as a Pho connaisseur, I can not give more than average for the stock (watery), the noodles (bit hard) and the omission of Hoi Sin sauce and chili sauce (there were some chopped chilis though). Also chopsticks for any type of noodlesoup including Pho would be nice.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Hidden Gem - Vietnamese in Ubud”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Indotopia

We read about this restaurant in a local magazine we found in our hotel and thought we would give it a go as we love Vietnamese food. Indotopia is located on a quiet residential street so it is unlikely you will just stumble upon it - it is a hidden gem! Loved!

The restaurant has a light, bright and airy feel to it and the food is super cheap and extremely tasty. We shared the vietnamese spring rolls and green papaya salad for entree both were great. The menu also offers quite a few Indonesian dishes so I tried the Gado Gado for my main which was delicious and husband had the Pho which he loved and was one of the best he has ever had - amazing stock apparently. Hope to return one day.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Warung Indotopia? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Warung Indotopia, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.