“Amazing!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa

Save Saved
You added Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa to your Saves list
Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Raya Kedewatan, P.O. Box 7, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Announcement
BOOK DIRECT FOR BEST RATE
Ranked #39 of 119 hotels in Ubud
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here with my wife at the end of our Bali holiday, we stayed from 3rd June - 7th June 2013. I don't know or understand how someone could write a bad review of this place because it is simply amazing! The grounds, gardens & views are spectacular! All staff a pleasant and welcoming, butlers go above and beyond to make your stay comfortable and memorable. They offered to spray the room for insects every night but we said no as it didn't need it, we didn't have any bugs in the room, just a little gecko (roof is thatched, so expect that). We were welcomed with drink, cold towel and upgraded to the Royal villa - which we didnt ask for, they just just upgraded us on their own free will which was very nice. The villa was amazing I was sad to leave this place. It's great for couples and those on honeymoon, very private and peaceful. Afternoon tea was nice, especially while watching the local kids do their traditional dancing. Breakfast - what can I say... So much food we could never get through it all and it was of good quality every day. Food in restaurant was beautiful also, all local produce and presented and tasted better than some fine dining restaurants in Sydney.
Free shuttle into Ubud main town is a bonus, only a short 10 minute ride in to Ubud. We had an unforgettable here, we'll never forget our time at kupu kupu barong and we hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Royal villa or ayung pool villa - so worth the extra $
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

703 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Essen, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas at the end of May 2013 for four nights and I was so waiting for these four nights to be over. We booked the Ayung River Club Villa, expecting it to be the highlight of our Bali Trip. We were all excited, but this excitement was already destroyed by the time of arrival (1 pm). Disregarding the fact that it seems like you are entering some run-down backyard, the staff welcomed us with "your room is not yet prepared". They even sent us away again, telling us we should find a way to fill this one hour ourselves. They didn't even want to give us any water to drink. (We booked the most expensive type of villa - two glasses of water should be included in the service!). A few minutes before 2 pm, we asked again if the room had been prepared, receiving a rude answer, that rooms at Kupu Kupu are usually never ready before 2. So they made us wait for another almost half an hour. When we got to the villa, the first thing the Butler told us was, that we shouldn't steal the Shampoo etc. from the bathroom. I was so shocked, that I was speachless at that moment. The last thing we had in mind was to steal shampoo or condintioner!!! If we had been in need of Shampoo, we would have just bought it. The room itself was full of ants, spiders, gecko typ of bugs etc etc. Simply terrible. I didn't even want to unpack my suitcase. The WiFi was the next desaster. It took more than 7 hours to get it to work. And even then it took ages for a page to build up. The food - what can I say - horrible. Any fast food restaurant prepares better food than this hotel. Even after a change of villas, things got only a little better. The best moment was the moment we left this place. I will, FOR SURE, never ever return to this hotel. It is shame how wonderful this place could be, if the staff was nice, the place clean and the villas welcoming with an up-to-date interior. The only good thing about this place, beside its location, was the Spa and the ladies working there. I loved that place!

However, if I ever get to go to Ubud again, I will most definately not stay at Kupu Kupu.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay. The interaction with our staff with regards to your comments about check in time at 2 P.M., the Wi-Fi connection, the food are certainly not typical and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team as a very serious training exercise.

You may also be interested to learn that our entire teams will do their best especially our housekeeping manager and staff to make the room is ready in time, and we did a serious meeting with our team and how to solve this issue in the future, on your convenience; we also provide a nice setting in our La View Bar to enjoy your afternoon tea or coffee and any kind of juices on complimentary bases during your waiting. Also we will review our butler’s SOP, in term of how to inform the guest in correct way and properly handling during explaining the room amenities etc and it will not create any other perceptions. Last week our engineering team improved the Wi-Fi connection by laying down the new fiber optic, with this fiber optic will improve a lot to transfer data to each room’s radio. We will do a cross training to our cook with our sister hotel in Jimbaran which is has a better presentation especially sandwich, and some dishes.
I would take pleasure in welcoming you back, so that you could experience hotel as it was meant to be. Please feel free to contact myself directly on kadek@kupubarong.com if you are traveling to Bali again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the remainder of your trip to Bali was most enjoyable.

Kadek M
Resort Manage
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

What can i say or where to start...this is one of the best hotels i' ve ever been to. i started my honeymoon at kupu kupu for 4 nights and took the ayung river pool villa.,,i can still hear all the sounds of the jungle in my ears..:))..lets start with the good things:
1)The villas are amazing ,it has all the amenties u need from shower room a huge bathtub and gr8 bed and ipod dock and lcd.. The private pool is smaller than other hotels but its quit enough.
2)The food and breackfast is very delicious ,i also tried the romantic dinner and they give u a set menu of sea food which was very delicious
3) The people and staff are amazing and very very helpful with a smile that shines ur day
4) The location is quit good they provide a free shuttle bus to ubud town till 5pm
5)The rooms are very clean , once u step outside the villa they go and clean it. they assign a special butler for u evey day. which is a gr8 service..

The only bad thing is if u are afraid of insects ,there are some as u are in the jungle, but they spray the whole hotel 2 times a week to control this which is good

Bottom line this is one of the best hotels to experience.i will definitley go back one day.

Restaurant tip:Ubud town has a lot of restaurants ,try the romantic dinner its amazing.

Thnk u kupu kup managment team and special thanks to DIANA my butler and ALAM .

Room Tip: ayung river pool villas are amazing , the best villa is 34 has the vest view.
Mumbai, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Serene and Pure! These are the two words which come to you when you stay there. Such is an environment, full of greenery, picturesque view and so humble people out there to serve you, makes your stay in Bali more rewarding.

Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Kupu Kupu Barong is an excellent 5 star accommodation 15 minutes drive from central ubud. We stayed ina deluxe room and it was beyond our eexpectations. Very clean and tidy. The roosters can be noisy, but you must remember you are in Ubud. We loved them, too. One day I got vertigo, the staff was very caring and attentive. The hotel called a doctor for us who came directly to our room. The restaurant is great and the food (we only tried Indonesian) was great at all times. Butler service is a great touch. strongly recommended, especially to honeymooners. A+++

• Stayed May 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here on our recent trip to Bali, expecting the hotel to be amazing - and it did not disappoint! In fact, it is even more beautiful in person than any pictures I have seen, and I was already impressed when I saw the pictures. The staff are lovely and friendly, completely helpful and eager to assist in any way they can. The surroundings were perfect, just so serene and tranquil. In fact, we loved it so much that at times we found it difficult to leave and go into town or do other activities because we just wanted to stay and enoy the beauty of the resort. The location, service and just everything made this a truly memorable trip for my boyfriend and I, and we will definitely recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in an Ayung River Villa with pool, and it was very quiet. You could hear the faint crowing...
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Bought a 3D/2N package from a honeymoon vendor. Included in the package: ayung river villa, 2 hr spa, 1 dinner, daily breakfast and return airport transfer.
We arrived around noon and had a little difficulty in finding the driver due to the airport construction. The driver was very courteous, gave us cold mineral water & refreshing towel. He even offered us for a detour to a restaurant for lunch before we go to the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel, we were immediately tended by the reception for check ins.
We got villa #25, pretty close to the main building (restaurant, lobby, spa) even though the stairs & pathway are steep.
Our spa package was upgraded to the mango tree spa, it was very nice. Dinner was just so so. Appetizer, Main Course & Dessert were included in the package, but not drinks. So we had to pay extra for drinks.
One of the aircon in the room kept shutting down, so the room wasn't cool enough. We called the engineer & butler and they fixed it right away.
Breakfast was plentiful, better than dinner. We tried the yoga session and it was nice.
Overall the property has very nice view, cool air, lots of trees. The few downside of this place would be the plunge pool in each villa (which is more like a jacuzzi without the bubbles) and the slippery wooden floor in the villa.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kupu Kupu Barong Villas & Tree Spa? Share your experiences!