“Felt like the Queen” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Honeymoon Guesthouses

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Honeymoon Guesthouses
Jl. Bisma, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #74 of 290 Ubud B&B and Inns
Coolangatta, Australia
“Felt like the Queen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

What a gorgeous place. Has a very palatial, bali asian feel to it and the doors to the rooms are ornate with typical carved stained wood. Liked it so much we came back later in the week. Great value for money. Rooms decadent and attention to detail amazing. Loved the semi outdoor bathroom in some room styles which had a large corner bath, sandstone and marble/tiled. The fact that breakfast was included also was fantastic. If you want some luxury at a very reasonable costs stay here. It was my 20 year anniversary and I loved it. Taxi service, moped and spa salon (called Lilly's) just across the road. Staff were amazingly helpful, which is a nice change. Saving my $$$$ to go back and telling all my friends about it.

Room Tip: Front room upstairs very noisey as near the street.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

280 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I really loved this place and found it to be great value $60 a room. It felt homely, and felt like it was in Asia, actually had rooms with fans which is far kinder to my skin and lungs than air conditioners. The rooms are beautiful and rustic, slightly open. Beautiful gardens, it seems everything was designed with care. Not your stark, generic hotel room which look the same anywhere in the world - so not for everyone. Reminded me of staying in the old havelis in India.

Really the liked the pool. Provides everything I reckon a western woman could ask for: delicious breakfast, cooking classes, restaurant, yoga classes, massage, provide a drinking water tank in the room, cat, the owner started the ubud writer's festival. Centrally located too.

Highly recommended, I'd come back to Bali just to stay here again. I'd skip Kuta all together and just come to Honeymoon Guesthouse in Ubud.

Room Tip: I let them decide their room for me, they somehow managed to pick me a couple of great ones. On the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Macau, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The location is just off the main road, walking distance to a lot of the shops. The rooms are incredibly detailed and beautiful. Stayed with a friend and we really enjoyed it. The breakfast was nice, with lots of good options. I used the pool twice, it's small but clean and in a nice foliaged filled area. Recommending it to everyone I know who goes.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are the nicest.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel was beautiful, check in was easy the staff were always very nice. The hotel had arranged for a driver to pick us up from the airport and at 8 pm it took about 90min to get there from the airport. We stayed in room #3 which had a double bed, desk, closet and mini bar. It also had a patio with table and chairs. Breakfast was included which was very good and was the only food available on the premise. They do have a restaurant just in town, we asked about delivery, but they said it takes too long and better to just walk over.
There are about 3 roosters that live across the street that start crowing at 5am, maybe other rooms can't hear them, but we were certainly able to. I know there's probably not much they can do about that, but I had ear plugs in and could still hear it.
There also wasn't any shampoo or conditioner in the room or available if asked for which I wasn't anticipating.
The other thing is that it would be nice to get wifi in the rooms, though it is available in the main lobby.
The location overal was pretty good as we wanted to stay near the main roads as we were only there for a short time, but I think if I went back and had more time, I'd stay a little further out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Honeymoon guesthouse was recommended to us by some friends of the owner, and we loved it! It's a great little place to stay, in an excellent location, on the road parallel to Monkey Forest road. The buidling is beautiful, true Balinese style, with luscious gardens and stone statues of Buddha and Ganesh.

There are two buildings, across the road from each other. We stayed in a Sawah room on the top floor of Honeymoon II. It was an excellent room with views of the rice paddies from our window and from the lovely balcony. It has a huge marble bathroom with jacuzzi and the room itself it really big with two very comfy double beds.

The breakfast was great and there are free yoga classes each day at 8am. We also took a cooking class there, which was fun.

There is a really nice pool area, with a pool in each of the two properties. The spa was pretty modest, with great prices. Ask for Jero, she is excellent for massages. The spa services are about $8AUD each.

I liked the feel of this place as being very Balinese, as opposed to the 5 star hotels, where you could be anywhere in the world. The things to be aware of is that there is no phone or TV in the room, and only one hair dryer on the property. Also, no elevators, so if there are mobility problems you will need to ask for ground floor.

I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Top floor corner room of Honeymoon II for rice paddy view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Noosa, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed with husband and 2 teenaged children - so I booked Arjuna Rooms A and B. Fantastic for the price paid.

Rooms were quite simple, but in a beautiful Balinese style. Very spacious rooms, traditional high roof and ceiling fans. Only down side was that the beds had slat bases with foam mattresses that could have been more comfortable. Both rooms had ensuites and a small dressing area - with an interconnecting door to the adjacent room.

Rooms were on the 3rd floor, so a bit of a climb, but totally worth it for the breezes and the view. The best part of all was the very large covered verandah area (with a day bed and chairs/tables) that was for the exclusive use of these 2 rooms. Booking these 2 rooms is great for a family, but be aware that there is no "sound" privacy between the rooms as they share an open roof space.

I was a little wary of the breakfast as you had to fill out an order from the menu (pic uploaded) and a time and submit it to reception the night before. Wow, is the first thing I will say about breakfast. Great choices and fantastic food and service in the small rooftop breakfast eating area. Made me realise what I'd been missing with all those self-serve buffets.

Oh, and the more expensive rooms looked very enticing and a sure bet for couples. Finally - excellent location. Short easy walk to everything and in the heart of Ubud township.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you would like a true Balinese experience in the mountains of Ubud in a traditional Balinese style guesthouse then this is for you. I found Honeymoon 2 Guesthouse still, peaceful, tranquil and more relaxing than your Seminyak, Legian or Kuta bali experience. I read Janet De Neefe's book "Fragrant Rice" around 3 years ago whilst in Bali. What a wonderful read to hear of her love for Bali, meeting her Balinese husband, having her family, working her businesses and all the traditions that come with living life in Bali. I have been coming to Bali myself since the 80's and have a great love and connection to the country and their people. This holiday, i wanted something different and more removed from the usual bali experience, something more personal. And i got it. We booked 2 nights sat and sun night but I ended up wanting to stay longer! Booking the hotel was easy online, a reply straight away. When we arrived, check in was easy, we received a welcome drink and the staff were lovely. We had room 29 - Indra (deluxe) - at Honeymoon 2 which is just a few steps across the road from the main guesthouse headquarters Honeymoon 1. This room 29 - Indra (deluxe) was beautiful and spacious. It is upstairs so quite a few steep stairs up to the room. There are carefully selected pieces of traditional Balinese furniture with intricate wood carving, colors and design. The bathroom is huge, all marble, large bath and shower and there is complimetary soap. A four poster bed with mosquito netting made us feel like royalty! The view I had from the bed was so beautiful, the door open, looking across the balcony to the chair and the ornate wall behind. There is no tv, but a spacious balcony with peace and tranquility. The room has a partial view of the pool too. The pool is lovely surrounded with grey carved stone and statues covered in green moss. Breakfast is served at Honeymoon 1 in the mornings by pre ordering the night before. You get choices of drink and 2 choices of food. More than enough for me! The fruit salad and banana crepes were devine. I would like to add that I had a peaceful undisturbed sleep and I am a very light sleeper. Ubud is a rural area so of course you may hear the occasional rooster or dog barking! Further to the accommodation we ate at Janet's restaurants, Casa Luna - wow what a view and the food absolutely amazing. You have to eat here. This restaurant is just down the road from Honeymoon guesthouse. We also dined at Indus, which has free transport from hotel. It has a lovely view and felt quite romantic so go to this one just before the sun goes down. Food at both restaurants is outstanding. The chocolate mousse dessert on the biscuit base is to die for! We also went to Bar Luna for lunch.To top this all off we booked in for the Casa Luna Cooking class on the Monday at Honeymoon 2. And we were so happily surprised that we got Janet today to take the class. We felt honoured. We made a delicious fish curry, sweet and sour salad, spinach with tomato sambal, grilled fish in banana leaf and black rice pudding. The group and presenters were friendly and welcoming. This food was again, omg amazing! And anyone can stay here, not just "honeymooners"! Couples, families or solo travellers looking for this type of experience. To have the complete experience as we did have a look at casalunabali.com. As a guesthouse I rate this as excellent. I certainly look forward to returning one day in the near future and would reccomend Honeymoon Guesthouse to my friends and family. Thankyou Janet, Ketut and your staff for a beautiful relaxing stay and the wonderful dining experience in your restaurants in Ubud.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Honeymoon Guesthouses? Share your experiences!