I've stayed in Ubud before, but specifically stayed here because of the superior service other reviews mentioned.
We used a driver from the airport, for 200k. Ubud taxi is about the same price too.
As many hotels in Bali, it's nestled between residences, rice fields and other businesses. We had two porters with a cart help with the luggage. They waited while we checked in at the front desk. We had a nice orange/mandarin welcome drink. Ibu Wayan was very helpful, and explained breakfast, the free shuttle, room service and other features. No safety box in the room, but a safe deposit box was available at the front desk.
We were tired, so headed directly to the room. It's got the Balinese style door that is secured from the outside by a padlock through two rings. Looks strange, but I've never had any theft from my room on any trips.
We ordered a few things from room service that first night, and were quite happy with the taste, price and speed of delivery. Most mains are $4-6, plus 21% tax and service. My favorites were the Squid snack basket with fries for about $3. Coconut Red Snapper, Fishermans basket and pasta dishes were all very good. The steak and pizzas aren't up to par, so I'd skip those. We ordered 1-2 meals every day, and spent about $90 over 5 days. A great deal.
The free breakfast was pretty good. Indonesian noodles, rice, or western eggs and bacon available off the menu, not buffet style. Reasonable portions, plus fruit juices, tea/coffee, fresh fruit, toast all included. You could also have it delivered to your room.
We used the shuttle a couple of times. Fits 5-7 passengers, depending on size. Usually you set up a pickup time when you get dropped off. The Ubud market has ok deals if you bargain hard. If you go to Tanah Lot, they have much better deals on shirts and souvenirs. We wanted some wood sculptures, but they were way too pricey. There is a gallery as part of the hotel, but pricing was a bit crazy for tourists. $1500 for a large carved panel. I saw similar ones at other places for $300 or less. Not sure if the quality is similar or not.
Ibu Okas was very good for their suckling pig. It's a very basic setting, but the food was very good. $4-$6 for most plates.
The hotel has a medium sized pool. A bit of mold around the tiles, but otherwise ok. Loungers, and shade too, if you don't want to be in the sun.
Near the front desk, they have loaner books, and 75-100 DVDs you can play in your room. No charge.
Comments about the room.
The room is a little rustic. Nice detailing, but needs some upkeep. The faucet in the bathroom seemed loose. Nice mini fridge, 2 free waters per day. Minibar items fairly priced. Laundry costs were 25 cents to 75 cents each, for most items. Most days if laundry was picked up in the morning, it'd be back in the evening.
The bathroom is open to the back. An interesting concept, but it got a little hot. Also when people were being rowdy, you'd hear it all. The stench of smoking was really bad at times from these same neighbors. I was disappointed they didn't have the Indonesan style sprayers for the toilet.
The room has a tube tv, with just local channels, no international ones. A DVD player is a plus. I did find the king bed, which was just two twin beds pushed together, a bit uncomfortable. My back hurt every morning when I woke up. A better quality mattress would really help.
Massages were available in the evening only. Good quality, about $17 for a 90 minute massage. In the massage room only, not in your room.
We really enjoyed our stay here. For $50 or so for the basic Garden room, I find it a good value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the cool and breezy of the rice field, 17 traditional rooms and cottages are spread across the side of rice fields and lush tropical garden. In each, the Balinese architecture, décor, fine painting is of hotel standard while all the modern conveniences expected by the discerning international traveller are here. All are air-conditioned and have exotic garden bathrooms, convey the essence of the tropic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, AsiaRooms, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, HostelBookers, Agoda, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Taman Harum Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taman Harum Cottages Hotel Ubud
- Taman Harum Hotel
- Taman Harum Resort
- Taman Harum Cottages Ubud, Bali