“Amazingly wonderful experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
Sayulita, Mexico
“Amazingly wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at Komaneka at Monkey Forest in Ubud for a week. From the moment that we arrived to the moment that we left our stay was awesome. We travel quite a bit and we felt like the room, all of the amenities in the room, the grounds, pool and food as well as its central location was just the best place that we have ever stayed. Internet is great too. The beauty and comfort with the attention to every detail addressing asthetics was matched by the hotel staff. Every person on their staff from garden workers, chef, restaurant servers always greeted us with beautiful smiles, requests to let them know how we are finding our stay and what more that they could do for us to make our stay better. They gave us a complementary dinner one night replete with personalized menus with our names on them. Their food is varied and delicious and presented always with bright smiles and a genuine wish that we enjoy their food...which we definitely did. They gave us a gift when we left and they made us feel like we were very special guests for them. I cannot say that for the many types of places that we have stayed. After our stay in Ubud we stayed in other parts of Bali and nothing came close to our experience at Komaneka at Monkey Forest hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was a marvellous place to stay and we were simply delighted by the warmth of the hospitality provided. The rooms are well-appointed and comfortable, the food very good and the location very handy for Ubud attractions, but it is the customer service provided that stood out here. From the moment we arrived (having had a long trip up the mountain) we were simply made to feel very welcome. The hospitality provided to us over our stay simply exceeded expectations - a consistently warm, friendly and generous attitude that would be the envy of many others. It is one thing to train staff to greet guests and be helpful, but this came across as a step above - the staff seemed simply to want your stay to be as enjoyable as possible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

we spent three nights at Komeneka during december 2012. What a pleasant experience. We were greeted with such warmth from the inception of our stay. The resort is absoulately clean and the service is excellent. We even noticed staff removing brown leaves from the trees. The breakfasts were very good as well. It is located in the heart of the town and we could walk to the restaurants and shops. Thank you Neethi, for going out of your way to make my daughter feel special on her 16th birthday by having a cake for her. If ever I come back to Ubud, Komeneka would be the resort of our choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here for 6 days. The location is perfect for getting around in Ubud. The room was big and nicely furnished, but it is the service at this hotel that is amazing. Everyone went out of their way to learn my name, and the things that I liked. If I was sitting around reading, they'd bring me a glass of water and a cool towel. They really go out of their way to make your stay perfect - whatever your perfect might be.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I booked a stay at Komaneka at Monkey Forest Road at the last minute after reading favorable reviews in my tour book. The family of Komaneka hotels and resorts has several locations in and around Ubud, but this one is on one of the main thoroughfares in the city, within easy walking distance to most urban sites of interest. You wouldn't know the location was on a main street as the hotel is set away from the road.

I called the hotel prior to departing for Bali and the staff arranged a pick up at the airport, where I was met upon departing the terminal with a very friendly driver who offered me a cold towel, bottled water, and beer. The driver was more than happy to explain the area sites during our journey to Ubud which gave me a good beginning understanding of Bali and the Balinese culture. A beautiful and welcoming outdoor lobby area greets you upon being dropped off at the hotel. The small number of rooms means more personalized and attentive service where everyone immediately learns your name. Staff immediately descend upon your car to cart your luggage away and offer a refreshing scented cold towel and delicious non-alcoholic fruit juices.

The staff seemed to take personally my comfort and enjoyment, especially Yuli, who came to the car to greet me upon my arrival, checked me in, and gave me a personal tour of my accommodations. When speaking with Yuli, it was as I were her sole focus and she did not let herself get distracted by other attentions. Yuli was present throughout my stay and went above and beyond in helping me tailor an itinerary that involved day tours to Hindu temples, the Taro Elephant Park, terraced rice paddies, Luwak coffee plantation, and a drive to Kintaman to take in a breathtaking view of Mt Batur and the lake below. Yuli offered some great restaurant recommendations and arranged very reasonably priced spa treatments at other Komaneka Resort locations - transport free of charge. They even let me have breakfast at the Bisma location (a beautiful retreat slightly outside the hustle and bustle of the city). My two breakfast meals were a delicious fusion of local and international dishes, accompanied by attentive service.

Regarding my accommodations, I had a luxuriously-appointed villa-style room with high end amenities. There was even a sunken glass-enclosed room with a separate bathtub. My room had a patio with comfortable furniture overlooking the pool area (and just to be safe, the hotel provides natural Komaneka-branded insect repellant to ward off any insects who think about biting). The villa had very high ceilings and, as a result, more area for the air conditioning to cover. Living in a more mild climate, I would have like to have been able to cool the room off even more.

One tiny blip: my bed was surrounded by mosquito netting (mostly for decoration) and in the middle of the night, one of the poles attached to the ceiling collapsed. I was not injured, just somewhat startled. Upon reporting it to the front desk the next morning, the staff showed up to my room within 5 minutes to fix it - excellent service recovery!

The grounds are beautiful, with the rooms and villas set upon one path with tropical foliage and fountains that runs the length of the hotel. A working rice paddy on the side provides a nice relaxing view.

When returning to Bali, I will do a beeline to Komaneka and not consider any other options. The staff made my stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

The hotel has a shuttle that will happily take you to area restaurants, shops, and attractions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Usedom, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I will remember my 4 night stay for a long time. The staff was sweet, competent and friendly. The room was beautifully appointed and clean.

The complimentary breakfast was fantastic. Lots of options and they are comfortable with substitutions.

We got a complimentary massage (they patiently waited while I dithered between that or a pedi) where we overlooked the rice patty. Another level of relaxing.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights. When we arrived we both had the flu :( The wonderful lady who was checking us in asked us if we would like some herbal tea and we said yes. It was so delicious and such a nice gesture.

Upon arriving into the beautiful room, there were flowers in a love heart shape on our bed, we thought this was a cute touch.

We were so surprised when we had a card in our room with a basket of fresh fruit hoping that we get better from our sickness. We were very touched :)

Overall I would recommend this place to anyone, and i would have to say that this place was one of the nicest places I have stayed at, with wonderful attentive staff who remember your names.
I had a massage there as well and whilst it was more expensive than one from the street shops, it was so lovely and worth every penny.

Thank you to the staff at Komaneka for making our stay wonderful :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Komaneka at Monkey Forest? Share your experiences!