“Fantastic get away into paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pita Maha Resort and Spa

You added Pita Maha Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Pita Maha Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Raya Sanggingan | PO Box 198, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #29 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
Berlin, Germany
“Fantastic get away into paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

I stayed in the Pita Maha five years ago already with a friend and remembered the place as very cosy, relaxed and beautiful. That is exactly what I experienced this time when I went there with my fiancée.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The Villas are already a little bit „outdated“ but still exciting beautiful. Most of them with their own little pool. They are spacious, have outside showers, large terraces with various beds to relax, a nice table on the terrace which we used for dining (dinner and breakfast).
The only thing which was terrible was the fleas we had in our bed (Room 209). But we were told later in Seminyak that most beds, sofas and other textiles in Bali keep fleas from the animals or the weather as such. Anyway in Pita Maha it was really annoying: My back looked like having rubella. Apart from that you’d have to tolerate all the small animals you will find in a jungle: spiders, geckos, small birds, frogs, etc. all can be found in your room or at least outdoor bathroom but you will understand that this is normal in a place in the middle of the jungle. And I have to admit, the staff does its best to keep them away from the villas.
The place is as quite as it can be. You can enjoy a maximum of privacy combined with a fantastic view over the alley into the jungle. If you enjoy „listening“ to the sounds of nature – it’s your place to go.

We also visited „the Royal Pita Maha“ which is the same, just bigger, more expensive and less personal. We would recommend to choose the Pita Maha. In addition it is closer to Ubud town.

The Pita Maha offers a restaurant (average quality I have to admit although the breakfast was very nice) a small quiet spa a large infinity main pool (most of the time we were there alone) and free WiFi as well as 24hours room service.

If you need a break from your stressed out daily life have a break out to Pita Maha in Ubud – only an hour from Denpasar Airport. The hotel offers a complimentary return shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

This review is way overdue but I doubt the hotel changed much. My husband and I stayed here last May. The view when you enter the lobby is absolutely breathtaking. The lobby itself opens up to a view of rice paddies...I felt like I left earth and went to paradise. The decor is traditional SE Asian which perfectly suited us.

They gave us a 2 storied villa facing the paddies. Our private villa had a little dipping pool and a good sized balcony where you can sit outside to watch the scenery, the sunset or the stars at night. (The hotel provides insect repellents too and that really helps to let you enjoy what the hotel has to offer.) The first floor was the master BR. Bed was ok, can be more comfortable. The bathroom is big, has a large tub set into the ground, lovely shower area. We didn't buy the honeymoon package but they gave us gifts on arrival and also decorated the bed and bathtub with flower petals anyway, which were all delightful. The second floor is 2 BR with another bathroom, and a sitting balcony that has a lovely view. We had no use for the additional BR, but I loved the way it was decorated too. The only drawback is that the ceiling is low, but that's nitpicking.

The pool was beyond my expectations since I did not know that they had an infinity pool that faces the rice paddies. It was a big pool and was wonderful for when you get back all hot from hiking.

For breakfast they offer western and Balinese. The Balinese is a vegetable porridge with various accompaniment and great for vegetarians and even meat eaters. The restaurant offering for vegetarians is practically non-existent, and I would recommend heading out for dinner because there are so many good vegetarian dishes in Indonesian restaurants in Ubud.

They don't have a business center per se but there are computers in the bar and you can get online for a fee. Be sure to put on bug spray first though.

We did pass through the Royal Pita Maha while rafting and it did look more grand. But we really enjoyed the Pita Maha, which has such a romantic and intimate atmosphere. Totally recommend it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Seoul, Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

Not a large place (23 villas), not much facilities or bells and whistles. Not a super luxurious place. But that's not what I was seeking. I wanted a relaxing, comfortable, quiet stay in elegant surroundings and that's what I got. I felt the price was fair and was satisfied. The cheapest villas have only partial views of the scenic valley and ridge across from this hotel. But this was OK with me because you get plenty of good views from the restaurant, lounge and pool. The service was fine but gets two stars because of the incident below.

I had one very unpleasant experience. I asked the hotel to recommend me a driver to take me around for one day. The driver turned out to be a very unpleasant guy, badgering me to either shorten my trip or to pay him more. There are tons of freelance drivers all around Ubud and I could have gotten a better deal with them but asked the hotel to recommend me a driver precisely so that I would be assured of getting someone trustworthy and pleasant to be around. Instead, I paid more than I would have if I had just dealt with a freelancer and the guy was a real jerk. The lesson is do not use this hotel's recommended driver.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
South Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

My wife and I travelled to Bali to celebrate her fiftieth birthday. We stayed for four nights at the Pita Maha before moving on to Seminyak. I can say that after the four days we did not want to leave.

We had a pool villa overlooking the river valley and rice paddies across the valley. It was a beautiful spot. The villa was lovely built in a traditional style and very spacious and well equipped. It was completely private. We spent many hours in the private pool particularly in the evenings listening to the insects and frogs and sipping cocktails .

The real highpoint was the attitude of the staff, the service was immaculate and nothing was too much trouble. They arranged free travel from the airport and to our second hotel. They were able to offer advice and assistance on what to see and do.

We didn't eat there in the evenings but the breakfasts were lovely and the setting immaculate with gorgeous views (one morning a preying mantis came to join us).

My wife took advantage of a spa package and had a great time.

The hotel is a little way out of Ubud but the hotel runs a free shuttle bus every hour.

For a romantic break I can't imagine anywhere in the world that would be more suitable!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

It is a long (1.5 hour) ride from the airport the resort along narrow roads but upon reaching the turn off for the resort the road curves and descends sharply to the lobby entrance, a spectacular open air lobby that offers a hint of what is to come: an even more spectacular view of a vast tropical gorge at the end of the lobby with a whitewater river flowing nearly 300 feet below!

The staff greets all guests with a traditional Balinese welcome including placing an orchid onto every guest's ear along with cool fresh wet towels. It is then that the "experience" begins with a walk down steps (could be several) to one of the over 50 villas nestled on the hillside off the lobby. All villas have spectacular views of the gorge and foliage with a vast bedroom, a living area and massive bath fitted with a jacuzzi, shower and a dressing area. Both the living area and the bathroom lead on to the private pool - a real pool nearly 20 feet long and 10-12 feet wide! The most incredible aspect to the pool is the complete privacy and its setting in pristine natural surroundings.

Breakfast can be had at one of 3 lovely spots: two levels off the lobby with both overlooking the gorge and one at the "organic" restaurant down below. Service and quality of food is simply outstanding!

The one factor to be considered is that the resort is not for those with any physical disabilities, temporary or permanent. The steps can be daunting and exhausting for those not in shape particularly from a villa all the way down by the organic restaurant - as many as 60+ steps to the top!

At any rate, the word that comes repeatedly to one's mind whether in the villa or on the grounds is during a stay here is "Tranquil".

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

Upon entering the lobby at Pita Maha – you are instantly impressed! It’s all open air with an amazing view of the valley. Pita Maha has an old charm and rustic feel while still feeling elegant. It was designed with the style of a Balinese village in mind. The grounds are beautiful. Almost everything is covered in moss. Old stone and wood work are everywhere. I’m sure there are other, more lavish hotels but the unique feel of Pita Maha cannot be replaced.

The villa was wonderful. It was very private and perfect for a honeymoon. We loved the outdoor shower and tub and our personal plunge pool. The room is not completely sealed (the doors are locked by padlocks – so there is a gap and they don’t completely close). Therefore we did find bugs – mosquitoes and ants mostly. This was not a problem for us, but I know some would be turned off. It all goes with the atmosphere of the place! And there was a mosquito net on the bed. We never used bug spray once and only got bitten a few times - it was always when we were in town at night.

The main pool was very nice with an amazing view of the valley. We only used it once, however - since we had our own private plunge pool.

The “American” breakfast was included in our rate and was very good. We were served a plate of fruit, given a selection of toast, Danishes, cakes etc., then served two eggs, with choice of meat and a small hash brown. We only ate dinner at the hotel once and it was delicious. It cost about $45.00. For the rest of our meals we went into the town of Ubud. The food was always good. We usually ate for around $30.00. We found a little hole in the wall for lunch one day and it cost $10 with a beer.

The service was wonderful. The staff were very friendly and always helpful. We found this hotel to be very quiet. Even breakfast in the restaurant was never busy – although it’s a small resort with only 24 villas. There are family villas as well for bigger groups and families.

There was a free shuttle every hour into the center of Ubud and to the monkey forest. Although, we got the feeling that if you asked, they would take you pretty much anywhere in the area. We also saw them take guests into town who had missed the shuttle – so they were very accommodating. The last shuttle pick up in Ubud was around 9:00 pm - which gave us plenty of time to have dinner.

There was a supermarket located very close to the hotel - approx. a 5 min. walk, which was convenient for purchasing wine & beer & any items you may have forgotten to pack.

Redding, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

Pita Maha is my favorite hotel in Bali. There are many fancier places to stay, but this one feels like home to me. I have stayed there four times and will return. The staff is wonderfully helpful and friendly, the rooms are spacious and the restaurant excellent.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Pita Maha Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!