“Lives up to its name!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Nirvana

Save Saved
You added Villa Nirvana to your Saves list
Villa Nirvana
4.0 of 5 Villa   |   Desa Sayan, Banjar Penestanan Kaja, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #66 of 210 Specialty lodging in Ubud
Singapore
“Lives up to its name!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My new husband and I were here last month on our honeymoon and the experience definitely matched up to its lofty name. The standalone villas are nestled in the middle of a verdant forest, so you don't feel like you're constantly tripping over other tourists or postcard/spa/souvenir shops, but it's still only a 10-minute drive from town. It's particularly cool that it's not accessible to vehicles so you really feel rested. But if you don't feel up to the hike, thankfully you can hop onto a nifty golf cart to get to and from the main road (this was particularly critical for us, but more on that later). Villa Nirvana has managed to capture the best of both worlds - it's both exclusively isolated and accessible to the town.

To say the staff went above and beyond what we could have ever expected would be an understatement. I have recently had ankle surgery so am not fully ambulatory and walked up and down with a walking stick. Every time we emerged from the villa, someone or other would insist on helping me as I hobbled along (relieving the poor hubby of the weight which I'm sure he appreciated!). It was such luck that the setting was as amazing as it was, because we spent a lot of time holed up in the villa. We ordered in lots - with Dharma and Dean (GM) providing excellent recommendations. Dharma even got the staff to collect food from a restaurant that doesn't do deliveries (and it served up the best stir fried vegetables we had in the entire trip!). And every time we had any changes to make with our spa or food appointments, the receptionist would volunteer to make them for us, which really made for a restful holiday.

We stayed at Shanti Om, which was all glass walls (with black-out curtains) and opened up directly into a pool, which was convenient. As soon as you arrive, you get a complimentary pool side massage - we of course decided to hire them for a more extended service (only US$10!). They're apparently in the process of building proper spa facilities, which is good news because long massages can get a bit tiring without a spa table.

Because it's in the middle of a forest, you get crickets lulling you to sleep - though there is the occasional rooster crow but it's not terribly intrusive. Thankfully mosquitoes aren't a problem because the attentive staff come in for a turndown service in the evening to put up all the necessary repellents (and this is after the morning cleanup that they do already - like I said, brilliant service!). All in all, it was a great experience - our only regret is that we didn't get to take the nice jungle walks around the villa. Maybe next time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dean T, General Manager at Villa Nirvana, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
I would like to thank the guests for their warm and gracious review.It was a pleasure to host them and for us as a team to assist in any way we could to make sure they had a wow experience at Villa Nirvana

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was my first trip to Bali and Villa Nirvana made it wonderful. The service was excellent, there when I needed them and knew just when I wanted to be alone. They helped me out with planning day some activities, set up massages and catered to whatever I requested.

It was quiet and restful, just what I wanted. I absolutely loved my villa, a perfect place to relax after walking all over Ubud, visiting temples, etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was my first trip to Bali and I must say I was rather consumed by the place. Magical rather. The people appeared from another time, caught in their own pace and rituals, unfazed by the buzz around and at the same time helping the visitors find their own space.

I stayed at Villa Nirvana, a remarkable place. I hate the receptions, the credit card exchanges and the cosmetic welcome smiles that one encounter at normal resorts and hotels.

Here, I felt like simply returning to my own house, as if I were there all the time. The Balinese staff does not grow on you or intimidate you in any way. They are within the reach of your voice at anytime - I must say I bothered them in the middle of the night for some insignificant stuff. Well, the private pool, the fantastic vegetation merging into your villa and some nice whisky make you all the more demanding.
The girls who appear in the morning (or any time during the day, I guess) for the free massage were shy and not sleazy! They did a good job on me and my cousin.

The best part is the night - one day I did not even go out - when the nature's light and night show give you enough incentive to stay back at the villa. It was a full moon day, rain on the well-lit pool, and the chirping of the nature. One of the staff members even stayed back to pour me a drink or two while i was indulging in the pool. The outdoor bath was exhilarating too. I did not feel the place was expensive even though i stayed in their premium villa. Most modern stuff are available (your own Jambox to start with), but minus the pomp. Nice place and nice people!

Transport is easily arranged to anywhere in Bali and it does not cost a bomb. I hate to navigate maps and spend half of my holiday searching for a destination and reach there all tired and fuming. A few of the drivers the villa guys arranged to take me around know their country and I got whatever I wanted: some fantastic paintings - nudes are not that common, but i found a few - brass work, lamps etc. Looking for it myself would have been impossible. And one of the drivers - I think his name is Usman - even called me from Bali once I reached back in Singapore to say Hi, Wow!....May be we made a Hindu connection from the past birth...

Room Tip: Go for the one near the reception
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dean T, General Manager at Villa Nirvana, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
It was a pleasure to host the guests who enjoyed the facilities and services provided.We would like to thank them for their warm sentiments expressed in regards to our resort Villa Nirvana.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had a most enjoyable and relaxing stay at this breathtakingly beautiful villa. The rooms are clean and spacious, with comfortable beds and decorated tastefully. I loved the paintings in villa prema sari, which were apparently sourced from local artists. It was very special to have a private pool at this price, which would normally get you no more than a small room with a communal pool. There are lovely walks near the villa that take you through a winding artists village. But the most special thing about villa nirvana was the staff who are friendly, attentive and efficient. The manager Mr Dean went out of his way to make us comfortable. We arrived on a late night flight and the restaurant had closed but there were club sandwiches waiting for us in the rooms. The restaurant food was decent and the breakfast was especially good. But you may want to try some of the other places nearby as well for lunch or dinner. mr Dean had a good list of places offering different types of cuisines. Fortunately the villa is only 10-15 mins walk to town so there are lots of places within easy reach. All in all, this villa surpassed expectations and a stay here is probably worth far more than what we paid.

Room Tip: We liked especially villa prema sari. But we spent 2 nights in villa shanti om which was also nice f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Getting to the Villa is problematic to say the least. And when you do get there you'll find a jumble of dual rooms sharing a pool. The rooms are ok, a bit on the small side for the price, the pool surrounds look a bit tired and uncared for and the beds noisy and uncomfortable. And if that isn't going to convince you about this place, wait until you encounter the Manager! We made part-payment for a 4 night booking from Australia and were then charged the full balance on arrival! When we decided to leave the next day, it was obvious why Mr Dean wanted to take all of my money. He had changed the booking conditions between the time of our original booking and checking in - and refused to comply with his original booking conditions. After more than a month of nasty emails I got a part-payment and a nasty taste in my mouth about this place. The reality is that there are a lot of better priced, better serviced and better maintained accommodation options in and around Ubud. And this is the first time after 20 years of coming to Bali that I felt like I'd been ripped off. This place is a fail.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tobermory, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Villa Nirvana turned out to be a surprisingly pleasant experience. We had a villa to ourselves for most of our stay and enjoyed the private pool and enclosure for that period. Even with neighbours in the adjacent room it was a wonderful accommodation. Staff were extremely helpful, bringing us mangosteens from their private gardens and even arranging for a specialist in medical massage for a nasty back spasm. Very effective and not costly.
Our room was spacious, comfortable if not elegant but certainly romantic with mosquito netted 4-poster and wonderful "outdoor" shower and tub. Staff were happy to bring supper over during the back troubles and generally did all they could to make sure we were happy and comfortable. They took interest in our outings, made some suggestions but didn't push.
The villa is somewhat difficult to find and many drivers really don't know where the address is so you need to be sure to have the phone number so your driver can double-check and pre-arrange the golf cart to meet you if you are arriving with luggage.
I loved the quiet, easy proximity to town and all the nearby warungs to sample different versions of nasi goreng or chicken curry and fabuous fruit plates. Lala Lili, Bubu, Marni were all excellent and the river cafe also provided very good meals.
Walking to town in either direction involves some distance of rather dull section or scary twisty road with no sidewalk, but town is readily accessible to the reasonably fit and exploring the pathways around the villa was a mind-blowing lesson in economics and engineering. Incredible places have been built where no motorized vehicle can go. Yoga studios,art galleries and tiny restaurants are around every corner on footpaths not even two feet wide amidst jungle and rice paddies.
I do hope to return and we'll stay here again.

Room Tip: We peeked into each of the three walled villas and each was uniquely attractive. Another time I'...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Rahul Pathak

We take two or three short family vacations around Asia each year, but after a while the packed beaches, clubs and bars start to resemble each other. Ubud and Villa Nirvana simply blew us away. We had decided to try a more remote and tranquil location, telling ourselves that we could always take a taxi to Bali's hotspots if things got too slow. We didn't need to. The experience was brilliant. It started with a late-evening arrival from Singapore and we were wondering where would eat after reaching Villa Nirvana around 10.30pm. No problem. It has the lovely River Cafe on its premises with a decent spread and chefs willing to modify dishes to suit your taste buds. Though other guests had eaten long before us, the cafe was thoughtfully kept open, just for us. The villas, themselves, were magical at night, with the pool glowing softly outside and wind rustling through the lush trees. The interiors were plush and comfortable, but not in a cookie-cutter hotel style. Three days went by in a flash. The rooms were cleaned twice a day. The staff was always willing to offer advice, without ever trying to thrust anything down your throat. My children tried yoga classes, just a short walk away. I went for a round of golf (a good hour's drive away). We spent mornings walking through the paddy fields or checking out the art galleries in Ubud. In the afternoons, you could just lounge about the villa, stare at the trees and feel a calm and stillness you don't find on most holidays. One highlight of the trip was a visit to Sari Organik, a wonderful eatery in a rustic setting which offers completely organic (and delicious) food and wine. For once my children, 20 and 22, even decided to do without their dose of clubbing as they were completely wrapped up in this very different experience. They gladly accepted the wi-fi, though, and settled for a trip to one of Ubud's bars which shut by midnight. When the holiday ended, we all agreed it was too short and have resolved to go back for more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Villa Nirvana? Share your experiences!