“nice place good stuff and amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Jangkrik Homestay
Jalan Hanoman 60, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #49 of 315 Ubud B&B and Inns
Manchester, Connecticut
“nice place good stuff and amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Room Tip: all room was good
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Perfect for travellers on a budget that want to experience the real Bali. Unpretentious, charming and within walking distance to most everything in Ubud. Kadek and Made are lovely hosts and will insure your stay is comfortable and meaningful. We spent 5 nights here at the beginning of our 2 weeks in Bali and it was the wonderful introduction to the culture and people that make Bali a must on any travellers itinerary.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jangkrik U, Owner at Jangkrik Homestay, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Kees and family,

We were very happy to have you as our guest and we thank you for your kind review. Our daughter Nita was very happy to try your brand new Nexus 7 Tablet and I already know what she wants for her next birthday.
As you probably already know, we have renovated the ceilings of our top-floor rooms (numbers 1 - 4) and this also includes the rooms you occupied. We are happy to confirm now that this has improved the privacy of our guests tremendously and we hope this is also a reason for you to come back to Jangkrik Homestay the next time you visit Ubud.

We also are renovating the sinks in rooms 1 and 2 (the first 2 rooms we started Jangkrik with in June 2011) and this will be finished next week (23 October). We have used very beautiful sinks made of one block of granite on a table of granite and teak wood and with this renovation all our rooms are of the same high-standard in equipment and furnishing. As you mention in your title our buildings and materials are AUTHENTIC BALINESE and we want o keep it like that.

We are glad you appreciated this style of ours and we are really looking forward to see you again as our guests.

Made Suarta, Kadek Rusni, Nitha, Komang and Wayan.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Everything from booking to the airport pick-up to the complimentary breakfast was wonderful! We were accommodated by Made and Kadek in every way. The room was clean, spacious, with a great shower and we could not ask for better value for money. The beds were comfortable, and they gave us three a room together. The location is awesome, and Made booked a wonderful cooking class (payuk bali, its the way to go!) and brought us to a dance show the was unforgettable. The complimentary breakfast was the best I've had in Asia, with fresh fruit and a main....They even remembered that I am allergic to bananas! I would definitely stay here again and was sad to say good-bye to my home away from home.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Riverland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed for three nights with my almost two year old son. The rooms are basic, and I was given an upstairs room even though I had heavy bags and a toddler who likes to climb over railings. I had requested a ground floor room after arriving, but it didn't happen. The noise between the upstairs room is not good, I was woken at 4am the first night by my neighbours alarm clock and then I could even hear them showering and packing. My son was up quite a bit for the next two nights as he was sick, so I was constantly worried the whole nights that we were waking our neighbour.

Rooms at another homestay in the same street were 50,000 cheaper for basically the same quality, so I wouldn't say they are good value.

The family was nice during our stay, showing my son their new kittens and being generally friendly. When my son was sick Made even generously took me to a chemist to get some medicine. It was only when I was leaving and I had tried to bargain the taxi price with Made, that he cancelled my taxi without my knowing, and then he left and I was left waiting around for an hour not knowing what was happening. After asking in the clothes shop for someone to please do something, as I was stuck there with a small sick child, it seemed folding clothes was more important than calling Made to find out where he or my taxi was, and why he had cancelled my booking. Eventually another taxi came by but no one was around to say good bye or thank you to.

I understand this was probably just a case of miscommunication, but it really put a dampener on my stay.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are very noisy, as they share the same ceiling space and no insulation. The owner tel...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jangkrik U, Owner at Jangkrik Homestay, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear MamaIsaac,

Thank you for your review, we are always pleased when customers share their opinion with us and the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

As you already indicated in your room tip, we indeed have solved the problem with the noise in the upstairs rooms within a week from now. All bookings after 7 October 2012 in the upstairs rooms will enjoy the new ceiling that is being installed now and with this the issue of lack of privacy inside your room will be a thing of the past. Your fear of being a burden for your neighbors, when your child is crying will be less of a burden by this measure we have taken.

You booked in a time when all our rooms were fully booked and most bookings already a long time ago. You never mentioned in your emails, that you wanted a downstairs room and in fact we try to book a room to the customers wishes (if possible). In your case all downstairs rooms were already booked and when you arrived all other rooms were occupied and we cannot force a customer out of his room, because you wish to have his room at the time of your arrival. This is a preference that you have to indicate at the time that you book your room.

It is always very hard to travel with a small child as they are easy pray for bacteria and we have done our best to help you when Isaac fell ill to a virus. We have done this because we try to help our customers as much as we can and this goes sometimes beyond our responsibility towards our guests. I am glad that you appreciated that.

Unfortunately there is apparently a misunderstanding about the taxi you wanted from Ubud to Munduk. We can help you with this and so we did, after some bargaining our driver (Dewa) agreed to bring you there for his bottom price of 350.000 Rp. You did not want to agree to that price because you claimed that ANOTHER driver was willing to bring you there for 250.000 Rp. Since we don't know the other driver, our intervention ends then and there. We have done our best and our driver Dewa was willing to bring you for HIS price being 350.000 Rp.
You decided to look for a taxi yourself at the Coco Supermarket, but apparently you did not succeed finding one for your price. When you returned to us, disappointed of course, you asked us for Dewa to bring you. But in the meantime he already had another customer and thus was busy and not able to bring you to Munduk.

Sorry, but he is a good driver with reasonable prices and he is never sitting still very long. So please don't blame us when you first deny his services and later come back to claim it and gets no for an answer because he has a new customer.

We hope you will have a good journey with your son Isaac and that you will have a safe return home afterwards.

Kind regards,

Made Suarta and Kadek Rusni
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here as a single female traveler in June 2012 for 8 days, and loved it! Felt like a home away from home - felt extremely welcomed by the family running the homestay, plus the guests, it is truly a peaceful environment. Also, EXTREMELY CONVENIENT TO YOGA BARN. I basically spent most of my days doing yoga, hiking around exploring the area, eating yummy organic food...very cliche but sooo calming and very Ubud.

The most important thing to me was the SERVICE - it felt more like I was part of the family. I happened to be there during the holiday of the Hindu goddess of knowledge Saraswati, and the family was fantastic and took me to their local priest to get blessed with holy water and the next day took a bunch of us guests (three girls, including me) to a nearby village temple on their motorcycles to take part in the festivities - eat food at the night market, watch the ceremonial dance, etc. We also got a chance to see their eldest daughter dance the part of the deer in the Fire Chant dance, it was amazing! I felt very much at home, which was great after almost 2 months backpacking abroad :)

AMENITIES: The rooms are beautiful, the doors amazing ornate carved wood. Great view of the sunset. In a real family courtyard so when you wake up in the morning to the rooster's cry you can see all the family members going abut their daily business. Wifi, hot water, all the basic necessities worked perfectly. I wish they cleaned more often though - it was fine since I felt like it was my room but they only swept my floor 2x the 8 days I was there and never changed my sheets or towel. :( It speaks volumes that I still enjoyed it THAT much though.
FOOD: Breakfast food is amazing! It was like 2 meals, if I ate the whole breakfast I almost wasn't able to eat lunch! I loved the joffre (the pressed sweet sandwich) as well as the omelet, which was probably my favorite. The banana pancake was also amazing - you actually get served 2 - and was soooo filling the first time I had it I asked Made to only give me 1 pancake next time. I also got a tea and a nasi campur one night when I didn't want to eat out and it was amazing! Sooo good, the best nasi campur I had in Ubud and soo cheap! (I'm not sure but maybe 15000IDR?)
NO MOSQUITOS: Jangkrik is magical, THERE ARE NO MOSQUITOS IN THE ROOMS! I was initially scared for my life since I was eaten alive by mosquitos in Thailand and the room in Jangkrik didn't have a bed net and had open windows and doors. But in the 8 days I stayed there I never once got a bite! It was a fantastic feeling, being able to enjoy the heat (and cope with it properly, so not in long t-shirt and pants!) without constantly worrying about mosquito bites.

TIPS: Book ahead of time! I booked a month out. Many guests who booked later weren't able to stay at Jangkrik the entire length of their stay in Ubud, and really regretted it when they discovered how well Jangkrik compares to other places. Made & Kadek do their best to see if they could stay the whole time but sometimes it just didn't work out. Several times I ran into other travelers stopping by, asking about the room amenities and rate and wanting to stay but not being able to because they didn't book ahead of time.

Basically, JANGKRIK IS ONE OF THE, IF NOT THE BEST, OPTION FOR STAYING IN UBUD SO MAKE SURE TO BOOK AHEAD OF TIME - YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO JUST SHOW UP AND GET A ROOM!!! And you'll regret it once you are forced to go elsewhere that is either more expensive for the same room or cheaper/same price but much worse quality.

Only annoying thing was that they say the airport pickup is 90K IDR but both times the homestay-arranged driver took my 100K IDR bill and didn't give me change. The first time, I even asked the driver if he knew what the price was and he said 100K IDR - I brought this up with Made and he said he would talk to the driver but I never got my money back and just gave up when it happened again. Funny thing is I would've tipped that amount if they hadn't demanded it. My tip would be to just carry exact change.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Zurich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The location of jangkrik homestay is perfect ( the sign is rather small but they explained very well by email how to find the place)
The rooms are very basic, but there is
all you need,the bed is not the most comfortable in the world though.
Despite the window in the bathroom, you cannot entirely avoid the damp smell.
The room is really clean.
For breakfast we had bali's best pancakes (crêpes). We had breakfast on the balcony infront of our room, which was really nice.
The staff/family were very friendly.
Book by email, it will be cheaper.
Room rates are really low at 200'000 rp. Per night.
I would really recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2012
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent two nights at Jangkrik and enjoyed our stay. Made Suarta and Kadek Rusni arranged our transport from the airport to Ubud, warmly welcomed us, ensured we were comfortable in our room and booked our Eco Cycling tour (which we highly recommend!). We did find out that you can get a slight discount on tours by booking through one of the many tour desks on the street - likely because you can bargain with them, while you can't really do that with the family at the homestay. PROS: (1) The breakfasts were delicious; (2) the rooms were clean with towels provided; (3) location is great - the homestay is a 5 minute walk to the Monkey Forest and a 20 minute walk to the Palace, depending on how fast you walk. CONS: (1) It can be loud in the mornings because of the roosters, but that sort of noise is unavoidable in Ubud; (2) the shower pressure in our room was very weak - seemed like the shower head needed replacing. Overall, for the price, Jangkrik is great value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Jangkrik Homestay? Share your experiences!