“Excellent service and a great bargain!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 569 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: New restaurant on busy road, just out of Ubud Centre. Small menu with excellent Indonesian food, cooked with a slight European twist.
“Excellent service and a great bargain!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I went here on our honeymoon, it was one of the best places we ate at during our trip. A simple menu but lovely food at and unbelievably affordable price! The service was fantastic, really friendly and welcoming, we even had all the staff lining up to thank us as we left!
A must if you are in Ubud, although do book as they only have a few tables!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Daniel T

Milan
“We felt like stupid”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I am really sorry about this experience, and I know that my review is going against what most people think, but still, my friends and I were so disappointed by the way we were treated.
We got there with no reservation, the owner found us a table and we felt soooo lucky - we knew it was hard to find a table since the place is small and superbly reviewed.
We sat down and everything promised a very good start. The owner came to greet us, and then one of her people introduced us to the menu. As expected, simple but inviting.
We were s party of four, and we all chose different dishes. At the request of the level of spice, we appreciated the chance to choose, and we all asked for very lightly spiced dishes.
When the food arrive, we started eating it and we all four felt it was too spiced for being lightly spiced.
It was so spicy that we wondered if the order was placed correctly or not.
When the owner came to check we were very honest and told her that we felt the food was too spicy. The reply we got was "well, welcome to Asia" in a very surly way, and she added that we might not know that in Asia food is quite spicy and what we got as a light spicy. And just drifted away.
I am sorry to say that I have been several time to Asia, traveling in many countries and spent there quite a few time (Thailand north and south, China, Vietnam...) and that I am well accostumed to the different levels of spicy you can get there. Well, my experience told me that the spicy we were getting now was far from being light.
But the story did not finish there. The owner sent to our table the girl who take the order to tell us that she checked with the chef and that the order was given correctly, so what we were eating was lightly spiced.
And we even got mocked when ordering dessert, the owner told us "don't worry, this is not going to be spiced" laughing in our faces.
I find this behavior simply unacceptable as a customer. Instead of proving that we were wrong at all costs, and treating us like newcomer tourist without knowing anything about us, she would have shown to be much more professional just by acknowledging our reactions and asking what she could do for us. Especially since this was a complaint coming from an entire table.
It's been a really unpleasant experience.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Michela R
Makassar, Indonesia
“Underestimate local guest?!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Me and my friend went to this place on sunday around 8 pm. We were excited to try this place based on the comment on trip advisor. But when we got there the seat was full, first we understand this situation but because the waitress didn't welcome us warmly or at least overing us to wait rather than just said "oh we are full, and later also there are reservation booked already" (means you cannot eat here!) That was so rude disappointing, we only need 2 seats! Thanks to the waitress at MELTING WOK, I would never recommend this place to any of my friends, colleagues and family. Melting Wok, u should also pay attention to local guest, because we also had money to eat at your place or even just to pay your service if it was better! Please do check your waitress who works on that shift when I came 6th October 2013 in the evening, just to make sure that this is absolutely happened to me!

Visited October 2013
10 Thank nenz_utari
“Love this restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My second visit, I made a point of going back again this year because it was so good last year. And it did not disappoint. Reservations recommended. The owner - a lovely friendly lady made room for my daughter and I. The staff is friendly and fun, and really make you feel welcome. The menu is small and what's in season, all fresh. And the chocolate fondu is a must try for dessert! Highly recommend!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Sokonahi
Los Angeles
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This restaurant really deserves all the good comments that they got so far. I just want to thank the owner for doing a such great work. When you see how involve she and her husband are, no wonder that the food is excellent (cooked by the husband) and the service top notch for a warung. We really had a good time and enjoy our dinner. Thank you!

• Visited September 2013