“Puri Sunia - Bali's hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Puri Sunia Resort

Save Saved
You added Puri Sunia Resort to your Saves list
Puri Sunia Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Tirta Tawar, Br. Abangan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
SUNIA FREE & EASY
Ranked #16 of 120 hotels in Ubud
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Puri Sunia - Bali's hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

27 hours after leaving Toronto Canada, with a 3 hour taxi ride which should've been 1.5 hours since our driver got lost, we finally arrived at Puri Sunia in the heart of Ubud. The reason why this place was so difficult to find was because it is literally off a beaten road surrounded by rice patties. ( Advice : pay the $30 for the hotel to come to the airport to pick you up, we went with a normal taxi and ended up paying closer to $50 )A little skeptical at first, when we finally checked in, the journey started and it just got better and better. While we had to wait for the bell boys to bring our luggage to our suite, we were invited to their dining area where we were warmly greeted by friendly staff, provided a cranberry and lime slushie type of shot which tasted phenomenal and some fresh water infused with fresh fruit. Since we had yet to have dinner, we decided to try their food and went with crispy duck and chicken curry, both dishes were phenomenal and made perfectly. We were also give a very nice heart shaped chocolate cake to commemorate our honeymoon and a nice floral arrangement on our bed when we first got to our room. Very sizable, very stylish and very chic. This place is a little slice of heaven on earth. We utilized all the activities that the hotel offered which were: morning / afternoon YOGA classes, rice patty tours , neighbouring village tours, arts/crafts ( we learned how to make offerings ), free 15 minute foot massages and even mountain bikes for us to use. The free breakfast at the hotel is also the best quality of food we ever tasted, I tried them all but stuck mostly with the Mie Goreng ( Chicken stir fried ramen noodles ) and cinnamon french toast, the Nasi Goreng ( chicken fried rice ) is also really good. I did have the american continental breakfast one morning and I think thats what gave me the runs all day during our mountain biking tour..... thats why I stuck with the Mie Goreng all the other days. Now someone people might complain that we were not walking distance to the city of Ubud but if you've walked the streets in Ubud, you would be ecstatic to know you wouldn't be staying in the noisy smelly streets of Ubud. The hotel shuttle did only leave and arrive every hour on the hour but they were always on time and on point so the 10 minute ride back and forth was no big deal at all. The staff at our hotel was bar none, 5 star all the way. Shout outs to these invididuals who went out of there way to help us, recommend places to go and even invite us into their villages and homes: Gusti - great host and all around assistance, Eko - food/services, showed us around the grounds and the villages nearby, Wayan - not the manager but a friend of Eko's, he was so friendly in helping us aroudn the city and who can forget Juli and her sister, they took us out on the tour, did the Yoga, taught us how to make the offerings and even had us offer up our creations to their Gods. Those two girls work so hard, its unbelievable how they do it without a break. On top of it all, everyone here knows your name!!!! They don't forget you while you are staying there. The pool and deck was very intimate and nestled with greenery all around. I think what we liked best about this place was the fact that they didn't have a ton of rooms, which meant shared areas were never packed, we almost always had poolside chairs which was nice. If i had to decide on a place to stay, I would definitely come back to Puri Sunia, the experience was just that phenomenal!

PS. Mosquitos are still popular in the area, just bring some Muskol and citronella candles. Showers also had no back door which allows the water to seep all over floor in the washroom. If you can live with those tiny cons, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Regular suites are fine, there is an option for private suites where you share a pool with like 4 un...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

456 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed at the Puri Sunia for 3 nights at the end of our trip to Bali in Novemeber after finding it here on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed, as soon as we arrived we were greeted by friendly reception staff who took us up to the restaurant for a welcome drink while they organised the paperwork. The exceptional friendliness of the staff continued for our entire trip with everyone we encountered.
Rooms are very spacious and clean, beds are super comfortable and a HUGE bath that is to die for!
Situation amongst the beautiful country-side it is very quiet and peaceful. Recommend taking part in the morning yoga session, sensational way to start the day outside with the natural soundtrack of running water and the birds chirping.
There is an hourly shuttle to and from Ubud central running from 8am to 10am which makes getting out and about really easy.
Would definitely staff here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed with my wife for five days. it's an excellent spot to experience the tranquillity of Bali. I cannot fault the hotel or its staff.
Try the complimentary yoga classes or the guided stroll around the local village and rice terraces. If you want the bustle of Ubud there's a regular complementary shuttle. The great thing about Puri Sunia is that it employs people from the local village. The staff are very friendly.
If I had to say anything negative it would be the price of the restaurant in caparison with similar standard in Ubud. Hence the 4* for value

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ocean Grove, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Had a lovely overnight stay here at the begining of the month. This place deserves a much longer stay just to get through the breakfast choices, all cooked to order! Bircher muesli was yum.
Our room was beutiful and spacious. Luxurious bathroom with lovely toiletries supplied. The grounds and gardens were emaculate. Morning yoga was inclusive, as was daily afternoon tea and Friday afternoon coctail party. This place is a must if you are staying in Ubud, the resort is just out of town but runs a shuttle bus hourly into town. The staff were all very gracious and accomodation to all of our requests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

TRIPADVISOR PURI SUNIA UBUD

I found this resort on Tripadvisor and I'm so glad I chose to stay there.
My sixteen year old daughter and I had a pool villa, very deluxe and very private. The accommodation was gobsmackingly gorgeous. And being just 5 minutes away from the bustling centre of Ubud  was great. Nestled in lush green rice paddies and beautiful gardens just enhanced the peace and perfection of this little piece of heaven.
There is an hourly shuttle service in and out of Ubud with just about the sweetest drivers you could hope to meet. When I say shuttle, think people movers that seat seven passengers, but the most we ever had in one car was five. Most of the time just the two of us.  I have to mention Wayan especially as a very attentive and lovely driver.
Our accommodation included daily breakfast and I have to say the Nasi Goreng on the Indonesian breakfast was so amazing. Thank you Budi for dealing with my endless questions about ingredients and food names! Also noteworthy on the breakfast menu were the fruit platters and Dadar Gurlung, little crepes with fried banana inside. Yum. I am a very fussy espresso drinker and the coffee here was perfect. Like minded souls will understand...
The staff right through Puri Sunia are friendly and so helpful. Faultless really.
They arranged a trip for us to see Mt Batur , some temples and other sights. The guide we had for this, Koman, was brilliant. Informative and friendly but not overpowering. Six hours with Koman in his air-conditioned car was a grand total of $45AUD. I would recommend letting Puri Sunia organize any tours or activities you would like to include in your trip. They know what they're doing! The tour we took was an amended version of the first one on their list. I thought four temples might be too much for a teenager to endure. She did enjoy visiting the two that we did see, and they were both very special for different reasons.
The semi outdoor spa is great and we both had pedis this afternoon with a view of some other staff assembling religious offerings on a grass mat on the balcony. Such a lovely thing to watch while having your feet pampered.  Please be sure to wear insect repellant before you go for a pedi as I was bitten about 40times by tiny little black flying things. Not sure what they were but I'm itching madly now. Pretty toes though! I would think this is only relevant for pedis and manis but maybe check when you book with the spa.
We had daily yoga with Juli, a beautiful and gentle soul who we loved to bits. The yoga space is perfect and the hour class was at a level that newbies and more experienced people could also enjoy.
Juli also takes jogging ( although we walked it and this was no problem!) and trekking. The trekking was very interesting and although it was fine in my Converse, maybe next time I will pack proper trainers or hiking shoes as we passed though an area that was a little steep and slippery after the night rain. Certainly not Bear Grylls style but a little more support in a shoe would have been nice.  My fault, not theirs :-)
Juli is a fountain of information and has an infectious laugh and warmth about her that just makes you want to take her home in your suitcase!
Two nights this week I drifted off to sleep to the sound of gamalan music wafting over the paddies. Perfect. Apparently there were two groups practicing for an upcoming performance. And waking to the sound of jubilant roosters was also such a treat for a city girl like me..
My only red flags for Puri Sunia would be in the fogging and the room lighting.  All Bali hotels do fogging once per week to deter insects. It is necessary but as we were in the room at the time I found it a little overpowering. Perhaps check with reception when you arrive so you know to be out when they do the fogging. It's rather vile but only lasts half an hour or so.
And I feel so petty mentioning the lighting, but it's very subdued even when you have all the lights on.  This is good for enforced relaxation, but tricky for packing. I like to see what I'm doing a bit better than what I experienced. And if I was going to put on make up I would have found the bathroom lighting challenging. But as I was having a natural, make up free week this wasn't an issue for me. Maybe dimmer switches could solve this lighting problem.
Overall, I was so impressed with this hotel and I will never stay anywhere else in Ubud. That's a certainty. The staff went out of their way to make sure our visit was perfect, and the beauty of the resort was well beyond my expectations. I am now back in Sydney experiencing Ubud-withdrawals. But I will be back for sure. :-)

Room Tip: The ground floor suites are fully enclosed so no bugs and gheckos can get in. The upper floor suites...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Situated away from Main Street, quiet and comfortable. Very friendly staff and food serve in the restaurant is very delicious. The Grill pork ribs is a must try!
King size bed is the size of 2 queen size..very comfortable.
Free shuttle to Ubud centre. Certain day they arrange morning jog and some day is just leisure walk, check the schedule in advance.
High tea is served free, although the local cake is not to our liking.
Pool is clean and not crowded.
I am sure you will like this resort, and I will be back again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cheonan, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Puri Sunia is a wonderful place for every one to enjoy. Everything about my holiday at there was great. The service of staff always made me comfortable. I will absolutely choose this hotel for the next time go to Bali. Highly recommended this.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Puri Sunia Resort? Share your experiences!