“Loved my last night in Bali” 5 of 5 stars

Royal Kamuela Ubud
5.0 of 5 Villa   |   Jl Monkey Forest, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #22 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Melbourne, Australia
“Loved my last night in Bali”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We were only able to stay one night at the Royal Kamuela but we made the most of the facilities and enjoyed every minute. The Staff were very friendly and helpful. I felt the accommodation was spacious and comfortable. I agree with other reviews about the Wi Fi the connection was poor and intermittent. We enjoyed the private swimming pool at each room but felt the Steps into the pool were very steep especially for an older client. This accommodation was a 5 minute walk to the Monkey Forest. We had a visit from a couple of monkeys in the gardens but the Staff were very prompt to attend to any concerns. Our Driver was an excellent driver and pointed out some interesting points of interest in the area and on the way to the airport.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4 Pool was surrounded by high walls and tall trees. Spa Bath included. Loved the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Located in the middle of the Ubud shopping district you can wander around Monkey Forest Road till you drop. Service at the hotel was great with staff that you will remember. The food was conistently ok and the spa practitioners good but the spa facilities were terrible. The room was well appointed and comfortable and the private pool was put to good use every day after walking around in the Bali weather. WiFi was a slow and patchy and needs some improvement. Overall, a great stay for a few nights to shop in Ubud but not for a lengthy holiday stay in Bali.

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to the hotel entrance for good light and better Internet.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

My husband and I arrived here after a week in Bondalem, to stay in the Royal Kamuela for 3 nights. Although Ubud is a completely different pace(busy) we felt relaxed and pampered in here. Aniek, Wahyu and the rest of the wonderful team took care of us and all our needs. We loved the cold private pool, the king size bed, most of the food was ok, my favorite was the club sandwich. Our room had good wifi, bright and sunny.
One of the things I loved the most and the fresh scent of the clean towels! I loved the fact that we are a few steps away from restaurants and shops, but couldn't hear a thing in our villa.
I am not sure when we'll be in Bali again but I'm sure we'll stay here again when we come back.

Isle Of Wight
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have very recently checked out of the hotel, we had a great time with Aniek giving us superb service, she went to the greatest lengths to make sure that we were happy with our choice of villa.
We visit twice per year for business, normaly the rooms are dark and dismal, but here bright and cheerful. Great location most nights we eat in our favourite restaurant,"Cinta"just a very short walk.
The best is that we have booked again for November.
Thank you again for making it such a pleasure to work in paradise.

Stayed April 2012
Monte-Carlo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

This is a good hotel/villa resort in a very central location, but not more or less. I agree with the comments below about view and internet, but service by Anik and her team was very very good. They acted on my comments (our first villa was dark and had no Internet reception at all) and moved us for the second night to a more centrally located one.
Villas are good size, breakfast ok, pool quite cold and warm water scarce to fill up the huge butch tub...
Location is very good if you want to be able to walk into Ubud and all the town restaurants, shops etc. but you pay with not being in an idyllic location.
Overall, good, but not perfect.

Stayed April 2012
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have stayed at the Four Seasons during my previous trip and opted for a smaller more private "specialty" hotel. I booked this hotel for ten (10) nights. The accommodations are somewhat slick if you have never been to Ubud previously. However, this hotel is rated very high because it is a new property. Upon closer, this hotel is not up to the quality of the Komaneka across the street.

Before my trip, I emailed the management and made it clear that I would need WIFI as I needed to be in contact with my office. We did not have WIFI for 3 days and finally after calling the main office in Jakarta two times was the problem resolved. Even then the WIFI is spotty at best.

The actual bedroom is quite small. You have a nice view of the swimming pool. I knew this when I arrived, however the outdoor space felt claustrophobic as you are enclosed by walls. Additionally, I found the outdoor furniture to be somewhat dirty. One comes to Ubud to view the serenity of the rice paddies or terraces. You have absolutely no view whatsoever. It is dark most of the time in the villa. The closet door did not operate properly and the hot water took an eternity come to my room.

We never ate at the restaurant. During our 10 day stay, we never spotted another guest dining at the restaurant. The spa should be considered an apartment. It is located below restaurant and is miniscule. The front desk asked me every day what I was doing for the days. I discovered they were asking because they are trying to sell you their spa services, cooking classes, yoga, massage etc. We choose to book our own. This is where Tripadvisor comes in handy!

The worst part about our booking was that they would not let us check out early. Even though there were only 5 of the villas which were occupied, they made it very clear that we could not check out early as we wanted to move on another property. If you want to be on Monkey Forest Road, stay at the Komaneka. Otherwise, opt for a property about 5 - 10 minutes out.

For USD$309 a night, you can rent your own private villa. However, if you are like me and enjoy being pampered make sure you check into an ESTABLISHED hotel with many, many reviews. I finally checked out of my over-priced, claustrophobic room.

Upon check out, they ask you first if you enjoyed your stay. It seems like some wort of a screening process. If you say yes they pass over a hotel postcard which provides instructions and actually directs guests to please submit a positive review of the hotel.

I rate this hotel based on the quality of the amenities and the value of what you get for your money. I would give the accommodations three stars, the service two stars and the value for your money at one star. There are better deals and better hotels for the price. If you want the full amenities, opt for one of the larger hotels. If you want privacy and the feeling of being away from it all, try the Kumara Sakti (aka Oneworld). We followed our stay at the Roya Kamuela by checking into Oneworld's Kumara Sakti for two nights. I felt like I finally was finally in Bali for my last two nights.

Northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We recently stayed in the Royal Kamuela Villas and were completely blown away. They are in the ideal location in Ubud. Right on Monkey Forest Road and beside all the convenient shops and restaurants. That said as soon as you enter you feel you are a 100 miles away as they are so peaceful.
The pools are a decent size and depth so you can swim in them. The bathrooms are nearly as big as the main bedroom. A double jacuzzi bath is an added bonus. The beds are huge and amazingly comfortable. The air con is quiet and keeps you cool.
The cleanliness is spot on. The breakfasts are a treat, if you can decide which type from an array of choices and served in your villa. The welcome foot massage is also fantastic.
Their spa treatments are quite expensive however right opposite the entrance is an affordable spa with excellent service and treatments.
I would definately recommend this place to anyone considering something luxurious in Ubud. Some of the bigger hotels are just too far out to sample Ubud well. This is ideal!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Kamuela Ubud? Share your experiences!