“Duck was excellent so much better than the famous place in town” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 440 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Indonesian, Eclectic
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
“Duck was excellent so much better than the famous place in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I asked one of the hotel staff where to go for the best duck dish in Bali he first suggested swept away but I explained I wanted to go out of the hotel. he told me of the most famous place, i cant even remember its name it was so average. One night I couldn't be bothered to leave the hotel so I ate at swept away. I took a book and had a bottle of wine had a fantastic meal the staff and manager were so wonderful great conversation but also left me to read my book. The food was excellent The balinese duck really was the best I had whilst I was in Bali. I wish I had never bothered to leave the hotel it was so much better. Oh and the scenery is unmatched!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
New York, New York, United States
“Special Dinner - Absolutely Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I were in Ubud for our honeymoon and in part for that, as well as her recent birthday, I set up a surprise dinner at the Swept Away restaurant. I had come across Swept Away as one of the top restaurants in the area on TripAdvisor and it did not disappoint.

We went for the Romantic Candlelit Dinner for Two, which they set-up down by the river, secluded from the rest of the restaurant and under some beautiful lights and candles. There were three parts to the this dinner that made it amazing:

1) The setting. Just beautiful. The set-up was gorgeous and the whole restaurant is down by the river so its a fantastic setting even if you haven't gone for the secluded dinner. Being surrounded by flowers and candles made it even more special
2) The food. AMAZING. Literally some of the best I've ever had. We don't frequent places like Jean George, but we do live in New York and often go to some excellent restaurants. This was hands down one of the best places I've ever eaten. The prawn and pork dish was amazing, the soup was luxurious and the entree was just straight-up excellent.
3) The service. Wonderful. Friendly and accommodating; highly attentive but not disruptive or creepy; made you feel at home

All these things combined to make for a truly special evening. Once we added a bottle of wine, it did wind up being somewhat pricey (without the expensive wine, the overall value was just ridiculous), so I couldn't justify giving a 5 rating to value, but the reality is that we did get much more than even what we paid and it was truly one of the best dining experience and most special evenings we've ever had. If you're willing to splurge a bit, its 100% worth it.

• Visited June 2013
Houston, TX
“Excellent Atmosphere/Overpriced Wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This was the #1 restaurant I was looking forward to going to in Bali. Absolutely beautiful! My husband and I had a great time. We got there around 5:45-right before it was dark and got some great pictures. I definitely recommend getting there early in the evening so you can see the rice paddies and river while still daylight.

Excellent meal! (Duo of beef foie gras, grilled snapper with eel) Very romantic. The only reason why this place doesn't get a 5 is because the wine/cocktails are overpriced. We ate at many other nice restaurants, including Bridges-which was our favorite, and the wines/cocktails were not overpriced. I don't understand why they have a statement at the front of their drink list stating that they "unfortunately" have to charge a higher fee. I think Swept Away needs to check out their competition because lower prices ARE available in Ubud, Bali.

Hobart
“Spoiling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We ate solely from the Balinese menu and were never disappointed with the superb tasting meals we ate. The quality did not alter, the food was fresh, the flavors memorable, beautifully presented and the quantity of food was perfect.
We chose to eat here more often than dining in other restaurants although more expensive we were guaranteed a delicious meal and the staff were so attentive with excellent service. A peaceful setting which was greatly appreciated at the end of a day of adventuring.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Absolutely "Swept Away" - A magical experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had discovered Swept Away on TripAdvisor and emailed the restaurant the day before we left home to enquire about making a reservation for a romantic dinner with my husband (something we don't often get to do with three young children). I promptly received an email in reply attaching the fixed and a la carte menus and confirming the booking. The concierge of our hotel in Ubud telephoned the restaurant on my behalf that morning to confirm the reservation and to request we have the fixed menu "Romantic Candelight Dinner". As per the TripAdvisor recommendations I asked the concierge to request a table near the river. I was told that we had been reserved a table close to the river. I had read about the ride down to the restaurant on the golf cart and it certainly made for a fun start to the night. I looked across at the tables on the decking near the river wondering which one was ours, but instead we were escorted to a grass area right next to the river that had been set with a candelit table for two, surrounded by rose petals in the shape of a heart. It looked amazing. We were treated like royalty by the staff. We ordered a white wine from Chile which was expensive at IDR680,000, but not unusual for Bali with its excessive taxes on wine. The food was divine. Each dish was presented beautifully and tasted amazing. Including tip, the night cost us IDR3,000,000 which is certainly not cheap, but compared to what an experience like that would cost in Australia it was really not unreasonable. It certainly was a memorable occasion on our holiday.