“Five star experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 126 Hotels in Ubud
Calgary, Canada
“Five star experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

From the charming lei welcome to the friendly farewell, this was the most delightful stay I have ever experienced. Accommodation was perfect to the smallest detail. Staff were attentive without being intrusive, their smiling mission apparently to ensure a memorable vacation in every way. They certainly succeeded.

Room Tip: Every villa with pool and garden is completely private.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

All of the previous reviews do this place no justice. We spent 4 wonderfully relaxing nights at the Samaya Ubud and it is true that the Staff are the heart and soul of this place. From the time we arrived until our departure we felt very special, they even sang happy birthday to my Husband.
We felt, on more than one occasion, that we were the only guest at the resort even though it was fully booked. Wayan and ALL of his staff should be very proud of how they make their guests feel and the service they provide. We would highly recommend booking the cooking class. The Chef, Loka, was extremely knowledgeable and ensured that we enjoyed the whole experience, with success.
All of the meals that we enjoyed at the resort were first class and would not be out of place in any 5 star restaurants in Australia.
If we return to Bali this would be the only place that we would consider staying.

Hullbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

the hotel is perfect, the staff is excellent, the rooms are beautiful and our room with my 5 year old son was relaxing and romantic, there is one thing I could blame: the force of wanting to do well all the staff asks every day if all goes well, if we liked our breakfast, so we slept, if we had dinner etc. ...... more

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I actually set up a TripAdvisor account with the sole purpose of praising The Samaya!

From the moment we arrived at the resort after a pleasant 45 minute drive it was absolute heaven!

We were greeted with a gorgeous flower necklace by the staff along with a refreshing cold face towel to cool us down, and were invited to sit down to check in while the butler took our luggage to our room for us.

While our luggage was being taken to our villa, were whisked off on a tour of the grounds in a little electric buggy. It was then I realised I was in paradise! We were driven past the panoramic views of the rice fields, down towards the river at the base of the resort (it's a rather steep road) it's definitely walkable (but those who are unsteady on their feet, the buggy is available at all times and you only have to ask/call up for this. We then arrived at our villa....

All I have to say about this is WOW!! We were actually upgraded to a two villa plot as we were staying for 10 days (which after speaking to other guests this is a long time). We opened the door and were greeted by a HUGE swimming pool, and immaculately landscaped gardens through to our villa. The villa itself literally has everything you could possibly need! Safe, iron, large TV with DVD and modern connectivity (HDMI and USB) etc. The shower was large and products provided were very luxurious! The room even had a large elevated bath/jacuzzi which was a nice touch and was very relaxing!

The bed was the most comfortable I've slept on!

There are a number of activities that are put on by the Samaya, which I would highly recommend. We did the bike tour, trek, and also the cookery school (the school came at an additional cost, but is very reasonable) I would recommend the bike/ trek as it really gives you a firsthand view of life in Bali, where each and EVERY person greets you with a smile and a prayer nod. The tour guide actually invited us into his house as part of the trek and I was honoured to oblige. He showed us his temple (of which every residential property in Bali has one), his collection of art (it would seem everyone in Bali can paint, very well I may add!)

Moving on to food. Our booking came with breakfast included, and this was the best I've had in any hotel. You have the choice of contintental with fresh pastries etc, and also hot food. I highly recommend the breakfast burrito! MMmmmmmm

The rate also included Afternoon Tea, which I've never had before so gave that a go a few days in to the stay. All I can say is I only wish I tried it from the very beginning. It was really tasty and overlooking the river, and nibbling on finger sandwiches and fresh cakes was amazing!

The dinner down by 'Swept Away' which is the name of the restaurant is very good too. We had two meals here and were both very nice indeed. We went out for dinner every other night as we wanted to sample different restaurants in Ubud Centre, otherwise I would have eaten here every night.

I thought I would treat myself to a nice massage so booked myself in to the spa for a Hot Stone massage. This was my first massage of any kind so don't have anything to compare it with, but oh goodness, I certainly felt relaxed, so much so I fell asleep...twice! I highly recommend this treatment too! I would say that although the treatment may seem a lot more than what you would pay in Ubud Centre, but it's definitely worth it as the scenery of the spa is second to none as it overlooks the Ayung River..stunning!

There must be over 30 staff working at the Samaya, and by the second day they ALL knew our names and what we were doing that day. They always had a smile on their face and would do anything at all for you!

You also have access to a taxi service (free of charge) that will take you, and pick you up from Ubud Centre, where there are tonnes of bars and restaurants. This was really helpful!

What completely topped off this experience was being invited to a complimentary dinner on our last night by the manager, who personally came to speak with us to thank us for our custom.

If you are thinking of visiting Bali, and Ubud in particular, then I would HIGHLY recommend you stay here! You won't be disappointed and I will return one day!

They have a resort in Seminyak too which I've heard is even better. I doubt this is even possible but will be trying that out in the future too as that's by the coast so can imagine the sea views make this a different kind of experience!

As you may have noticed I have run out of superlatives for this place! You simply have to visit to see for yourself!

Room Tip: There is a real difference in villa types. They are all enclosed, but some are at the base of the re...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed at Samaya Ubud for honeymoon from 10/18/2013 to 10/20/2013 and regret that I did not book for longer stay. Hotel workers were so friendly and kept asking us if we needed anything. Room and swimming pool were cleaned up every morning. You should not miss breakfast and afternoon tea. They were so good.
Dinner at Swept Away was exquisite. Food and service were so detailed and flavorful. Free transportation to anywhere in Ubud was so convenient. Complementary One hour massage for two people was offered at Spa by Ayung River. Massage therapists were very well trained, professional. It was the best massage I ever had!
I will come back again to Samaya Ubud when I visit Bali next time. Thank you, Samaya Ubud!

Room Tip: Book early! They have limited number of villa. All villas were booked during my stay at Samaya Ubud.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Spent 6 amazing nights at this resort and it was fantastic. Stunning location and beautifully designed individual villas with excellent amenities - and absolutely the best and most friendly service and staff of any place I have stayed in decades of travel around the world. They also helped arrange a wonderful surprise dinner for my wife set up on the rocks by the river. Also the breakfasts and afternoon teas provided are delicious and the restaurant is top notch. I would give it a six plus on a scale of five.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
taichung
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Of all the many hotels I have stayed at , I think that the staff here are the best~ they are so friendly and polite and very helpful. The location amongst the rice paddies and bordered by a river is also spectacular. I loved the a la carte breakfasts especially the indonesian items. The morning views of the farms and mountains from the top of the hill are amazing and it was just a great way to start the day. They offer complementary shuttle rides into Ubud (just give them an hour notice) and they will also pick you up from town and we made use of this service every day. At the end of the day it was so wonderful to leave bustling and a little chaotic Ubud and return to the serenity of The Samaya hotel. The villa was spacious and comfortable although I think the soft furnishing have too many marks on them and should be replaced. We enjoyed a very short 4 day stay and we would like to go back again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Samaya Bali? Share your experiences!