This was our first trip to Bali in order to celebrate Valentine's Day, 14th Feb, 2013. Had thought of staying at the more beautiful Maya Ubud but was bought over by the Samaya's 5D4N COMBO package which included two nights here and two nights in Samaya Seminyak, along with free dinner in Ubud, 2 hours spa for 2 pax in Seminyak and 3 way airport/hotel transfers.
Upon arrival at the Denpasar Airport, the Samaya driver was waiting with a Samaya Card, however, the card used was very small, so look carefully otherwise you might miss the driver. While in the car, we were given strawberries, nuts, cold drinks to nimble on and we relaxed during the one hour journey to the Samaya Ubud.
I had requested to have either Hillside Villa 105 or 106 in order to have great rice filed views, and was very happy indeed to have gotten Villa 105. But the rice field views was nothing to write home about, as it is only evident near the Gazebo/Pool area and was partially blocked by trees and foliage. However, the whole villa was very spacious, garden very well tended to with extremely high walls - impressed! 100% total privacy!
Though the whole Villa was not in top notch condition, we thought it was very well kept, and we felt very comfortable and slept pretty well during our first night. But on the second day, after returning from a day trip, discovered that the air-con could not cool the room and so we did not sleep well the second night. So we requested for them to turn on the aircon at 1pm daily so we could immediately catch a nap after a day trip.
Due to last minute addition of a 3rd night in Ubud, we had no choice but to shift down to a Agung River Villa, no. 205. Though you could see and hear the River from the Villa's balcony (with chairs and a table), the pool was narrower and garden smaller here. There are also concerns of privacy (lower walls and neighbors could see you if all of you were at the balcony at the same time) and security (anyone could have climb up to the villa from the River). Thus, if I were you, would certainly go for a higher up Hillside Villa.
The free included dinner at its Swept Away restaurant was indeed, WOW and very yummy. Husband had the seafood BBQ (too much food for 1 person) while I chose the Beef with foie gras from the Ala-carte menu. We had also ordered room service on arrival - signature Crispy Duck and 3 Satays were good, but not blown over, and with very small portions for S$40 (Singapore dollars), very expensive indeed for Bali.
Daily breakfasts at its Scene restaurant, easily walk-able from Villa 105, was also a feast! Like the idea of ordering from the menu so as not to waste food, kudos! Dishes were not only well presented, but also very tasty, again impressed! Drivers to send or collect us from Central Ubud were all courteous and prompt, very good service indeed.
And the title of this posting, 'Yes, Certainly', was what we used to get in response from the very well-trained staff here. No matter what your requests are, they are happy to oblige, and do it with a 100% willingness and are very humble (you could see from their faces that they are very sincere and genuine). This is, however, in great contrast with staff at their Seminyak property (see my other review).
Though we are really happy to be staying at the Samaya Ubud, the Hotel and its staff are almost perfect, there are some design faults with the Villas as no Hotel is 100% perfect -
1. while sitting in the 3 seater sofa watching TV (about 20 channels with Channel NewsAsia for Singaporeans!), you could not read because there is simply no overhead lighting in that area - very dim and dark! By dropping a crystal Chandelier from the ceiling might add much needed light and glamour to the whole room.
2. the front top facade of the villa was covered in blinds in a triangular shape. This is fine for us as we are early risers but not so for people who might want to wake up late as light would shine through those blinds, lighting up the whole room.
3. there is no extractor in the WC. So, after finishing business, the whole place stinks a little ....
4. the private Pool is 8m x 4m, however, there is a huge concrete block near the aluminium staircase where you would descend into the pool. Do be careful when you are doing laps as you might accidentally 'bumped' into this huge concrete block. We thought this concrete block unnecessary ...
Overall, this is a good Hotel that offers a real 5 star experience. If you do not mind taking shuttle transfers (10-15 minutes) to/from Ubud Central, you would not go wrong staying here. But if you want a Hotel that allows you to constantly drop in and deposit your shopping bags, and then go out again, then you will be sorely disappointed. Had a great 3 nights stay here, many thanks to the well trained and dedicated staff, Terima Kasih!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spectacularly located amid the rice fields and verdant hillsides of Bali's lush interior lies The Samaya Ubud, a harmonious blend of cutting - edge design and lavish comfort. Each of the resort's tastefully appointed one-two-and three bedroom villas features a private swimming pool, king-size bed, spacious bathroom, and a host of luxurious amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Samaya Bali reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Samaya Bali Hotel Ubud
- The Samaya Bali Ubud