“Yes, Certainly!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 127 Hotels in Ubud
Singapore
“Yes, Certainly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was our first trip to Bali in order to celebrate Valentine's Day, 14th Feb, 2013. Had thought of staying at the more beautiful Maya Ubud but was bought over by the Samaya's 5D4N COMBO package which included two nights here and two nights in Samaya Seminyak, along with free dinner in Ubud, 2 hours spa for 2 pax in Seminyak and 3 way airport/hotel transfers.

Upon arrival at the Denpasar Airport, the Samaya driver was waiting with a Samaya Card, however, the card used was very small, so look carefully otherwise you might miss the driver. While in the car, we were given strawberries, nuts, cold drinks to nimble on and we relaxed during the one hour journey to the Samaya Ubud.

I had requested to have either Hillside Villa 105 or 106 in order to have great rice filed views, and was very happy indeed to have gotten Villa 105. But the rice field views was nothing to write home about, as it is only evident near the Gazebo/Pool area and was partially blocked by trees and foliage. However, the whole villa was very spacious, garden very well tended to with extremely high walls - impressed! 100% total privacy!

Though the whole Villa was not in top notch condition, we thought it was very well kept, and we felt very comfortable and slept pretty well during our first night. But on the second day, after returning from a day trip, discovered that the air-con could not cool the room and so we did not sleep well the second night. So we requested for them to turn on the aircon at 1pm daily so we could immediately catch a nap after a day trip.

Due to last minute addition of a 3rd night in Ubud, we had no choice but to shift down to a Agung River Villa, no. 205. Though you could see and hear the River from the Villa's balcony (with chairs and a table), the pool was narrower and garden smaller here. There are also concerns of privacy (lower walls and neighbors could see you if all of you were at the balcony at the same time) and security (anyone could have climb up to the villa from the River). Thus, if I were you, would certainly go for a higher up Hillside Villa.

The free included dinner at its Swept Away restaurant was indeed, WOW and very yummy. Husband had the seafood BBQ (too much food for 1 person) while I chose the Beef with foie gras from the Ala-carte menu. We had also ordered room service on arrival - signature Crispy Duck and 3 Satays were good, but not blown over, and with very small portions for S$40 (Singapore dollars), very expensive indeed for Bali.

Daily breakfasts at its Scene restaurant, easily walk-able from Villa 105, was also a feast! Like the idea of ordering from the menu so as not to waste food, kudos! Dishes were not only well presented, but also very tasty, again impressed! Drivers to send or collect us from Central Ubud were all courteous and prompt, very good service indeed.

And the title of this posting, 'Yes, Certainly', was what we used to get in response from the very well-trained staff here. No matter what your requests are, they are happy to oblige, and do it with a 100% willingness and are very humble (you could see from their faces that they are very sincere and genuine). This is, however, in great contrast with staff at their Seminyak property (see my other review).

Though we are really happy to be staying at the Samaya Ubud, the Hotel and its staff are almost perfect, there are some design faults with the Villas as no Hotel is 100% perfect -

1. while sitting in the 3 seater sofa watching TV (about 20 channels with Channel NewsAsia for Singaporeans!), you could not read because there is simply no overhead lighting in that area - very dim and dark! By dropping a crystal Chandelier from the ceiling might add much needed light and glamour to the whole room.

2. the front top facade of the villa was covered in blinds in a triangular shape. This is fine for us as we are early risers but not so for people who might want to wake up late as light would shine through those blinds, lighting up the whole room.

3. there is no extractor in the WC. So, after finishing business, the whole place stinks a little ....

4. the private Pool is 8m x 4m, however, there is a huge concrete block near the aluminium staircase where you would descend into the pool. Do be careful when you are doing laps as you might accidentally 'bumped' into this huge concrete block. We thought this concrete block unnecessary ...

Overall, this is a good Hotel that offers a real 5 star experience. If you do not mind taking shuttle transfers (10-15 minutes) to/from Ubud Central, you would not go wrong staying here. But if you want a Hotel that allows you to constantly drop in and deposit your shopping bags, and then go out again, then you will be sorely disappointed. Had a great 3 nights stay here, many thanks to the well trained and dedicated staff, Terima Kasih!

Room Tip: Definitely a Hillside villa, ask for a higher up one, closer to Scene Restaurant and Lobby.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I had a week away in Bali, and chose to spend all planned seven nights in Ubud. I hate packing/unpacking, and the purpose of this trip was to relax and recharge. All I can say is that I am so glad that I booked The Samaya Ubud. I've never felt so absolutely detached and relaxed in an extremely long time.

The staff are amazing, and whilst they don't seem to pry into what you're looking to do, after having a casual conversation about plans for the day the next thing you know they have it organised. Really great experience.

I stayed in a Hillside Villa and just loved how lush and green all the plants around my villa were, and everything else was in exceptional condition.

I thought it would be interesting to comment that my flight home was cancelled the day I was meant to be flying out. At the time, I was down at Potato Head in Seminyak chilling out, so I was in a bit of a pickle. I contacted the hotel manager (Wayan) and he was able to help me organise a room at The Samaya Seminyak for the night (which was lovely too, but totally different experience to Ubud, if you want to relax, go to Ubud!).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Salmiya, Al Kuwayt, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

It was the best vacation in my life, if I come to Bali again; I will only book at this hotel, I liked everything there, specially the service; I have never seen like this before. the place, villa and pool are great and perfect, but again; people there can make your day (managers and staff), they gave us the best advices for the best activities, thank I and I look forward to visit you again...Faris

Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Unfortunately our stay at Samaya was way too short at only 3 nights - if I had have known what we do now it would have been the only place we visited in Bali!

Samaya is set in the side of a mountain on the beautiful Ayung river. We were fortunate to be upgraded to an Ayung Villa for our stay which was unbelievable! Attention to detail and the service at Samaya is second to none - from the delicious breakfasts delivered to your villa's gazebo by the pool to the evening meals at Swept Away - everything was perfect.

During our stay we took part in the afternoon walk through the rice paddies as well as the cooking class which included a market tour - both recommended. We also pampered ourselves at the spa on a couple of occasions. The Balinese massage is to divine!

There's plenty on offer at Ubud and in the surrounding areas too if you like to mix up the R&R with a little adventure. It's as easy as giving an hour's notice and the complementary shuttle service will ferry you to/from the town centre to go exploring.

You might pay a little bit more to stay at a place like Samaya but it's not unreasonable and totally worth it. Spoil yourself and live like a king for a week!

We hope to see you again sometime Samaya, gone for now but not forgotten...

jack

Room Tip: Treat yourself to an Ayung Villa for something that little bit special...
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at Samaya in Dec 12 ahead of a cruise and must say it was total perfection. I all agree with virtually everything other travellers have said. The fact management and staff are all Balinese (most very local) mean they retain there natural warmth and have not had it "trained" out of them in some misguided attempt to appeal to michelin inspectors ! (Mozaic for example )
Nothing was too much trouble the tone was set from the outset "breakfast is til 2pm in your room or the terrace, but if your too late no worries we will make it for you !"
Food in swept away was amazing and we signed up for the cooking morning including market tour which was great fun. Tempting though it is to have breakfast in the room everyday try the terrace with amazing views to rice paddies and volcanos breathtaking We had private yoga lessons which again was amazing (the location for yoga at the apex of the river sensational).
I could go on and on (car,spa staff etc etc !)but most has been said multiple times thank you Samaya for a great stop ahead of a cruise and I look forward to visiting again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rijeka, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Recently I was staying at the Samaya Ubud with my wife for seven nights. What can I say then it is a perfect, relaxing and what is most important a place with the greatest people (complete staff and manager) I ever met. The Villas are great with beautiful pool, excellent bath and complete privacy. We were staying at the Hill side villa, but I don't think that there is some difference between the villas. Food in the resort is excellent, dinner is quite expensive but the quality is very good. Have to mention breakfast which was perfect. Been traveling all around the world, and always had to wake up for buffet breakfast, but here it was all a-la-cart and when ever you want it and where ever you want, just perfect. As we were staying for seven nights, we had a complete freedom to create our own menu if we want to, but that was completely unnecessary as all was perfect. If you want some activity all can be arranged from the main desk, with simple call, which we used for arranging several tours. There is also a free shuttle to Ubud and it is fantastic. Have to mention that we took the culinary class at the resort with the visit to the Ubud market together with the Chef Loka. He was so friendly and helpful and gave us several information about the Balinese spice, of course beside that he introduce us to the "secrets" of the Balinese cuisine through the class, what was a great experience for both of us. As we were staying for more days we also went couple of times to the SPA. The staff was excellent, very good massage and treatment and nicely decorated SPA by the Ayung river. And finally the most important about this resort are the people. I cannot find the words to express my emotions about them. They were treating us like a family, calling us by name, always with open smile,sharing with us their pure soul, what really is something special. That is something what you cannot get anywhere else. Once when we again visit Bali, for sure we will go to Samaya Ubud, simply returning back "home".

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at the Samaya Ubud for 6 days with our daughter (3 years old). The Villas are amazing and we enjoyed the privacy of our own pool and garden a lot. The food is delicious and the view during breakfast unforgettable. What we enjoyed most is the great and super friendly manager and all the people working at the Samaya. Nothing seemed to much trouble and everybody has been exeptionally nice and helpful with a true smile. We did the complimentary hike trough the rice fields offered by the hotel and this should not be missed! It's been one of our highlights in Bali! We really appreciated the free shuttle service to and from Ubud City at anytime. The food at the restaurant is delicious and the tea time such a special treat. The Spa is amazing too! All in all it was quite simply the best hotel we've ever stayed in and will not be forgotten.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Samaya Bali? Share your experiences!