“Soul of Bali” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 160 Hotels in Ubud
Rijeka, Croatia
“Soul of Bali”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Recently I was staying at the Samaya Ubud with my wife for seven nights. What can I say then it is a perfect, relaxing and what is most important a place with the greatest people (complete staff and manager) I ever met. The Villas are great with beautiful pool, excellent bath and complete privacy. We were staying at the Hill side villa, but I don't think that there is some difference between the villas. Food in the resort is excellent, dinner is quite expensive but the quality is very good. Have to mention breakfast which was perfect. Been traveling all around the world, and always had to wake up for buffet breakfast, but here it was all a-la-cart and when ever you want it and where ever you want, just perfect. As we were staying for seven nights, we had a complete freedom to create our own menu if we want to, but that was completely unnecessary as all was perfect. If you want some activity all can be arranged from the main desk, with simple call, which we used for arranging several tours. There is also a free shuttle to Ubud and it is fantastic. Have to mention that we took the culinary class at the resort with the visit to the Ubud market together with the Chef Loka. He was so friendly and helpful and gave us several information about the Balinese spice, of course beside that he introduce us to the "secrets" of the Balinese cuisine through the class, what was a great experience for both of us. As we were staying for more days we also went couple of times to the SPA. The staff was excellent, very good massage and treatment and nicely decorated SPA by the Ayung river. And finally the most important about this resort are the people. I cannot find the words to express my emotions about them. They were treating us like a family, calling us by name, always with open smile,sharing with us their pure soul, what really is something special. That is something what you cannot get anywhere else. Once when we again visit Bali, for sure we will go to Samaya Ubud, simply returning back "home".

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vlad4321

Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at the Samaya Ubud for 6 days with our daughter (3 years old). The Villas are amazing and we enjoyed the privacy of our own pool and garden a lot. The food is delicious and the view during breakfast unforgettable. What we enjoyed most is the great and super friendly manager and all the people working at the Samaya. Nothing seemed to much trouble and everybody has been exeptionally nice and helpful with a true smile. We did the complimentary hike trough the rice fields offered by the hotel and this should not be missed! It's been one of our highlights in Bali! We really appreciated the free shuttle service to and from Ubud City at anytime. The food at the restaurant is delicious and the tea time such a special treat. The Spa is amazing too! All in all it was quite simply the best hotel we've ever stayed in and will not be forgotten.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank cmarieann
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have recently spent two nights at the Samaya Ubud. It's great resort in Sayan, overlook Sayan Anyung river, rice field, and volcanos in the far distance. The resort is only two year old, so everything is clean and nice. The bathroom is huge and outside shower is very enjoyable. The villa is spacious, the service is very kind. The breakfast in the villa each morning is very enjoyable. The dinner at river side is excellent and I tried Indonesian way (use my right hand) to eat my duck and rice. I have stayed at Four Seasons nearby last time and I recommend Samaya over FS because Samaya is more personal and great value. The resort manager Wayan Suambara is very helpful and friendly. Samaya is definitely on my top list of Ubud resorts.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Xihuanbalidao
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We spent 3 nights at The Samaya, Ubud, with our children aged 11 and 15. We had the most stunning villas, with a pool between them and absoltue privacy and security. Each villa had a stunning spa bathroom complete with TV and airconditioning.!!! The staff were superb and knew us and our children by name. Breakfasts were amazing "picnics" delivered to us by the pool or in the restaurant. There was no chance of the kids being bored as there are so many activities close by, and we also made use of the amazing spa salon. My daughter and I for nail treatments, my partner and son for some massage on their aching bones!!!. The Samaya has a shuttle service that runs you into Ubud and back on request. We ate at the resort restaurant Swept Away and it too was faultless... stay tuned for our review!!!!! Thankyou Samaya..pure bliss!!!!

Room Tip: Villas side by side were extremely secluded and secure.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Thetrogs
Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Everything about the Samaya was just absolutely amazing , from our very first welcome to the gorgeous villa with private pool and daybed and a garden area big enough to practice my daily yoga in . Everyone from the hotel manager to the housekeeping staff treated us like their family ; well a royal family ! We really did feel like royalty there , so much so that we extended our holiday from 7 days to 14 . I dont think I've ever seen so many people smiling whilst going about their work in one place , ever. I felt a little ill one day , a doctor was called in and was accompanied by the assistant manager , special Balinese drinks were sent to me and all the staff showed their concern and care for me in a way which was extremely touching . All in all it was quite simply the best resort/ hotel we've ever stayed in , and we are already planning another visit very soon . Our feet haven't quite touched the ground yet , that's how special Wayan and his team made us feel :-) amazing

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Angela6464
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in a hillside villa. Since this was the third time I have been to Ubud, I feel like I can make an honest assessment of this hotel. I actually agree to most points of the previous reviewer:

1) The physical location and hardware of this hotel is incredible (The villa setup, the privacy, the serene view of the valley and the river, the shuttle bus service, etc)
2) The staff members were all very very friendly, kind and polite (to the point where it occasionally got annoying)
3) However, the staff members (with the exception of the GM and front desk manager) in general did not speak English very well. They were capable of making standardized chit-chat with you, but should you have a real question/problem that needed to be solved, they were unable to provide actual assistance. (In those cases, I just called the front desk directly)

So it was kind of annoying at times. But to be fair, I find this to be a problem in a lot of the so-called high-end hotels in South-East Asia. Once when we were checking out at the Four Seasons Jakarta, the reception could not add/subtract our bills correctly, even with the aid of a calculator! My husband had to walk her step-by step-through the maths! At least at the Samaya Bali, there was a very capable front desk manager who could solve your problems. (i.e. When we checked-in, we asked for afternoon tea in-villa at 3pm with one of the bellboy, but it never came, so I just called the front desk. Problem solved.)

On a side note, the quality of the restaurant was very high at this property. We ate out a lot last time in Ubud, and we thought the Samaya Bali on-site restaurant was much better in quality than most off-site restaurants in town (well, except Ibu-Oka, but that's a local lunch spot, not a proper restaurant). We ate all of our dinners on-site this time and we were very happy with the food quality.

Still a great place to stay, just manage your expectation correctly.

FYI - Ubud in generally has colder climate than the coast. We stayed twice in the summer and both times it was too cold to swim in Ubud (I come from Hong Kong, so I can't swim in non-tropical weather), however by the coast at Seminyak we find swimming possible both times.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed 2 days at the Samaya in Ubud and it was really great.
The staff is very helpful and tries to satisfy all needs of the customers.
We had afternoon tea and dinner at the hotels restaurant very beautifully at the river. It is excellent. Please try the typical regional menu. The Balinese desert is most delicious. Also the Spa and the breakfast do not leave anything open.
If you do not want to walk the steep hill, the golf cars will arrive immediately to pick you up. They have a transfer service to the City Center of Ubud, which is very convenient.
The hotel also offers guided bicycle tours. We would recommend to join these. It is a very nice experience to drive through the rice fields and also to meet some local people together with the guide. At our tour nobody else but our self joined.
The Villa itself and also the private pool has seen some better days. Pool tiles were not immaculate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
Viceroy Bali
#2 of 133 in Seminyak
5.0 of 5 stars 1,156 reviews
Mandapa, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Komaneka at Monkey Forest

Been to The Samaya Bali Ubud? Share your experiences!