“Lovely staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Desa Sanctuary, The Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Desa Sanctuary, The Village
You added Desa Sanctuary, The Village to your Saves list
Jalan Pengosekan, Ubud, Bali 80571, Indonesia   |
Ranked #88 of 315 Ubud B&B and Inns
Krakow, Poland
“Lovely staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

The staff at Desa Sanctuary were incredibly nice, welcoming and helpful. All the rooms are very different, so I can only speak on behalf of the room I stayed in - Lotus Lumbung. I liked the "boutique hotel" vibe it had going on, but the design is so impractical. The bathroom (along with the kitchen and sitting areas) is open, so tons of bugs and ants get in. When I went downstairs at night to use the toilet, it was covered in so many ants I couldn't even sit down. It's a bit of a walk to the center of Ubud and there isn't a proper sidewalk for most of the way. If you plan to take a cab somewhere ask the staff to call for a METERED taxi. Overall, I liked the ambience of the place and the staff, but doubt I would stay here again due to the location and the impracticality of the room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
ArtlifePancakes, Owner at Desa Sanctuary, The Village, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback and always want our guests to be satisfied.

Yes, the houses are open air downstairs. It is the Bali style of living and yes, we do live in the lovely jungle where we co exist with ants and bugs and geckos and roosters. I'm sorry that our staff was not alerted to an ant parade as they would have taken care of it. It is their job. There are some very good remedies we have for ants that are non toxic and work.

The Village of Pengosekan where The Village is does not have sidewalks ....even Ubud has bad ones...this was a small village that as little as thirty years ago, there was only a bike path from Seminyak to Ubud. We love that fact, but know that the reality of "no sidewalks' is a shock to those from the cities of the first world. smile..

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I stayed here alone and from the first moment of arrival the staff made me feel like I was part of a family! Every one of them was accommodating at all times, smiling, friendly and helpful.
I stayed in Rumah Tingah which is up a winding set of stairs and perfect for a singleton or couple, although the bathroom would not offer much privacy (thin sliding door). The ac kept the room cool and pleasant and I also bought a fan at local supermarket for 15 bucks which helped too.
The property is set just off the main road into and out of Ubud so it is not quiet ever with constant noise from motorbikes and other traffic. I got used to the rooster sounds and the barking dogs and I wore ear plugs every night.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Brenda, the owner, is such an accomodating host! Desa is clean and everyone is very friendly. We felt completely at home here. Stayed here twcie already and both times have been great! We used the massage room in their home and that was incredible. The massage room overlooks rice fields with a really nice massage table. I was a big fan of the lumbong house-type rooms and the outdoor shower which was very private. Definitely recommended for couples and families alike!

Room Tip: the lumbong rooms are perfect for two
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

My partner and I stayed for 10 days in June/July 2011. The staff and wonderful and helpful and everyone and the accommodation exceeded our expectations. We were so happy with everything. This is where we will stay every year we come to Bali! I am even brining my mother this time! The food is excellent - I think I tried everything on the menu and it is great just being that little bit out of the centre of Ubud so that you can have a relaxing break from it all.

RECOMMENDED!!!!

:-)

Kami mencintaimu Rumah David - ketemu lagi!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I originally booked just two nights of a 5 night trip to Bali here however we loved Ubud/Desa Sanctuary so much we extended to 5. Tucked away off one of the main roads leading into Ubud the sanctuary is a lush green compound with the houses set around a great little swimming pool. We stayed in Rumah Tinggi and loved the space, large bed and outlook over the surrounds.

Hiring a scooter ($4-5 per day) in town is recommended as although it is walking distance to Ubud centre it probably took us 25 minutes each way. Otherwise a driver is also easy to arrange at about $2-3 per way.

Thank you for a wonderful place to spend our Bali trip :)

• Stayed February 2012
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a splendid stay at Desa Sanctuary (Rumah David). The staff is extremely helpful, the ambiance is true paradise, and the ready availability of a knowledgable, low-cost driver to tour the area made it one of the best vacations we've every had. We enjoyed ounging by the pool as well. Only the rosters in the neighborhood disturbed the peace, but within a day or two the sound just blended into the atmosphere. We hope to return to Bali, Ubud and Desa Sanctuary in the future.

Room Tip: Having the airconditioned bedroom was important to us, though during the day the pool was the place...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My family and I just returned from a 2.5 week vacation in Bali. There were nine of us in our group with ages ranging from 11 to 65. We rented out all of the units at the Desa Sanctuary for 7 nights. Some of us didn't make it that long. Pros: Staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast, particularly the banana pancakes, was a hit. Grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Cons: NOISY, NOISY, NOISY. If peace and relaxation is what you are looking for in Ubud, do not stay at Desa Sanctuary. Based on the other reviews re: dogs and roosters, I came prepared with earplugs and Bose headphones. Still not enough. In addition to dogs and roosters, there is the constant noise of the moterbikes downshifting and gunning their motors to get up the hill right next to the resort. There is also hours of tile cutting saws, chainsaws and other contruction occuring in the property directly behind the "village." We were there over New Year's so expected some additional noise associated with the holiday. What we didn't expect was pot banning, firecrackers and other noise going on all night from the family next door. One of the staff told us that sometimes people make noise so that the resort will give them money to stop. Hard to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings with the constant clamor. Enough about noise ... you get the point. The property is a bit of a walk from town, but we all made it regularly. Although some have mentioned the concern about no sidewalks, we were more concerned about the barking dogs that cross the road and follow you for awhile. If you want to take a cab, ask the staff to arrange approx. 15 min before you want to go. Cabs will try to charge you various amounts to take you to town ranging from 80,000 IR to 25,000. We normally paid 30,000 or so.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
ArtlifePancakes, Owner at Desa Sanctuary, The Village, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
We always appreciate when guests take the time to review us and, we are grateful that through Trip Advisor the owners are also allowed to respond.
We understand that there was a lot of noise that happened while this guest was visiting with her family, but I just want to remind other folks who might be reading this, that it was New Years Eve and that it is a noisy night just about everywhere in the world...including our little village. We certainly understand that some would like a quieter experience but we don't have any control over our neighbors celebrating on this night of nights.
In regards to the tile cutting and construction noise, again, we are very sorry but we did take care of it the very next day. We paid the construction crew to shut down for the period of this guests visit.
One of the beauties of our Village is that we are "in a village"....in Bali. There is wild life and greenery and roosters and there is also the influx of modern life...cars and motorcycles. Welcome to Bali! The streets don't have sidewalks and when they do, are uneven at best. However Bali is a special place ...we invite you to look beyond your comfort zone.

Been to Desa Sanctuary, The Village? Share your experiences!